Would you pack raincoats?

smheese

On Magic leaving 3/29. Wondering if it's worth the space and extra item to carry to pack rain jackets for the whole family? Or just bring a couple of more easily packable ponchos in the event of a rainy island excursion?

Thanks for the insight, this is our first cruise

On Magic leaving 3/29. Wondering if it's worth the space and extra item to carry to pack rain jackets for the whole family? Or just bring a couple of more easily packable ponchos in the event of a rainy island excursion?

Thanks for the insight, this is our first cruise

We always pack our ponchos. Or actual rain gear (jacket, pants) if it's a time of year that's "rainy season" in the locations we're going.

That said, our last cruise, it rained a couple of days, but we were already off the ship, so we just got wet.

Edited by Shmoo here

We usually pack some of those cheap ponchos for the off-chance that we will encounter rain on a port day. Having said that, in 12 DCL cruises I can't think of one time that we actually used them.

We pack ponchos and a hooded wind breaker. On our Feb 2nd DREAM it poured on our only sea day. If you wanted to go out on deck, you needed a jacket or poncho. Since we were going back to the resort, we had ponchos, wind breakers and an umbrella.

If you own poncho's and they will not affect your baggage allowance on the flight, bring them.

Rain showers tend to be quick and short unless you are really unlucky with the weather, and you can usually find some cover. Otherwise you just get wet, the sun comes back out and you dry off and continue enjoying the trip!

ex techie

We always throw some of the dollar store ponchos in on any trip. They're nothing wonderful, but they do help and you can just get rid of them if they are too wet, ripped, etc. They are also great to cover a stroller when it has to be left outside.

I've never packed a raincoat or ponchos. On most port days we go to the beach anyhow, so if we get wet from rain than so be it. I will say we have had our share of rainy days, the worst of which was St. Lucia, it rained almost the whole day we were there, with only some breif sunshine for a couple hours in the afternoon. The Pitons were still amazing, but nicer weather would have been great. We also got rained on in Barbados & Grand Cayman but we were just at the beach both of those days, and the showers only lasted for a couple of hours.

Unless I'm doing a more urban type of trip (Europe) I don't bother bringing anything for the rain.

I usually wear board shorts and a reef shirt/jacket over my bathing suit--dried in seconds if it gets wet.

I would just pack some dollar store ponchos. Easy to pack and easy to throw away after you use them. I once bought the $10 one in the parks due to heavy heavy rains, i wanted to use it again because I paid good money for it. It was near impossible to fold it all back up. From then on I always buy a few $1 ponchos just in case. Folding up a wet poncho to be reused is the worst!!

Usually, I pack those cheap ones that fold up really small and are easy to pack. On our Disney cruise over the summer in the Mediterranean, we did our excursions through Disney. On the one day It was supposed to rain, the cast members handed out Disney ponchos to everyone signing in for the excursion. I thought that was a really nice touch. Never had that happen on any other cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Usually, I pack those cheap ones that fold up really small and are easy to pack. On our Disney cruise over the summer in the Mediterranean, we did our excursions through Disney. On the one day It was supposed to rain, the cast members handed out Disney ponchos to everyone signing in for the excursion. I thought that was a really nice touch. Never had that happen on any other cruise.

Most luxury lines put an umbrella in each cabin. I'd rather use that than a poncho. I hate ponchos. They are hot and awkward.

Well, I don't like carrying or holding an umbrella, so I was quite happy with being given a poncho. But I always am pleased when a cruise line offers something whether it would be a poncho or an umbrella. To me it is a nice touch.

Well I know that for my Disney Wonder Alaskan cruise a number of years ago, during a sudden downpour, Disney did indeed provide ponchos for us. That being said, I don't know if they're still doing that anymore since it didn't really rain during my most recent repeat of the cruise.