Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

I agree no one has any idea how NCL distributes the money which goes into the DSC pool, nor do we know how they will distribute the 18% they collect on each cover in the specialty.

But NCL has always, up to this point, been upfront about who IS and who is NOT included in the DSC. At least now we have confirmation that the specialty servers are NOT in the DSC pool as of the date the 18% gratuity fee was added. It would be logical to assume that the 18% is taking the place of the DSC for those servers. And I will not be surprised to hear that the butlers are now included in the increased suite DSC.

I don't for one minute think that 18% is going straight to the servers in the next pay check. My guess is a pool, just like for DSC, from which NCL will determine who will get what, just like they always have.

One person called NCL and one rep on the phone said they were not in the DSC. How many times has someone called NCL and asked the same question and received different answers? I don't even know how an NCL rep would even know this.

Harriet

One person called NCL and one rep on the phone said they were not in the DSC. How many times has someone called NCL and asked the same question and received different answers? I don't even know how an NCL rep would even know this.

Harriet

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the posts from the one or two cheerleaders (sheep?!) that are left here. I really do not understand how anyone thinks this is good business practice, or "ok". NCL has always had my full support. They have gone too far with this though.

Yes but the waiters of specialty restaurants rotate so they maybe on mdr for lunch or for dinner another night...so this thing doesnt make any sense to me..i really believe its just a way to get more money from the clients...and believe me there is no way the crew is going to be double tipped!!!there is no way they will increase their tips so easily i just believe they will only just increase their revenue

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the posts from the one or two cheerleaders (sheep?!) that are left here. I really do not understand how anyone thinks this is good business practice, or "ok". NCL has always had my full support. They have gone too far with this though.
Maybe because we don't condemn a company before we have all the facts. Not to mention, you have no idea how the specialty restaurant servers were paid in the old systems...did they get the same amount as the servers that didn't work in the specialty restaurants or even if the crew got all of the DSC or only a small portion. If and when it is proved that the crew is not getting the money, I'll have a different view, but before that I can't believe that all the loyal NCL customers would vilify them and accuse them of double dipping or taking all the money for themselves before they have all the facts. Edited by NLH Arizona

I do think this is a big mistake by NCL,as has been said it is blatant double dipping,if speciality restaurant staff are included in the DSC (and they are),there is no need for this.There were examples are few years back where restaurant chains were creaming off tips given by credit/debit cards and staff were not getting the full amount of tips.For all we know,this could be the case here.It's unfair anyway to have to compulsorily tip twice (many people did voluntarily) but I would want to know that all of this extra money is going on tips.

In addition to this NCL might well find that bookings for speciality restaurants decline significantly once word gets around.NCL's concept relies on these restaurants to generate extra revenue so it may prove to be a short sighted move.

I have always eaten in the MDR in the past but my next cruise was seriously contemplating speciality on a couple of nights,but now I'm not so sure.

This can be construed as triple dipping. One must pay the upcharge for the specialty restaurant, the DSC, and now the 18% gratuity. In my opinion, if the waitstaff is already included in the DSC, passengers should not be obilgated to tip further unless they wish to slip them some cash.

We will avoid this by dining in the MDR every night.

Harriet

Until NCL puts something in writing or makes an official statement, we are all just guessing or surmising about what we think is going on, I agree.

But, it seems pretty obvious that the NCL rep Niquein99 spoke to did not just pull this out of her arse. You don't think NCL reps are given information on policies and procedures ( although it seems they are always the last to know, I agree:rolleyes:). They were obviously told something, probably because they were getting tons of calls about the 18%.

Edited by punkincc

They are betting most would be too embarrassed to remove it even if it was possible. Not sure it is. Anyone ever tried crossing off drink gratuities?

We must be too stupid to realize they're not doing this for us.lol

Heres the wording on the UK site. My bolding

A service charge (currently US $ 12,95 p.p./day in the following categories: Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony & Mini Suite; US $ 14,95 p.p./day in Suites & The Haven Suites) will be payable, at your discretion.

Maybe because we don't condemn a company before we have all the facts. Not to mention, you have no idea how the specialty restaurant servers were paid in the old systems...did they get the same amount as the servers that didn't work in the specialty restaurants or even if the crew got all of the DSC or only a small portion. If and when it is proved that the crew is not getting the money, I'll have a different view, but before that I can't believe that all the loyal NCL customers would vilify them and accuse them of double dipping or taking all the money for themselves before they have all the facts.

This line of thinking sort of de-rails the topic a bit. Remember, we have all the facts as NCL has provided them. The function of the DSC is outlined clearly. The 18% auto-grat (surcharge) is outlined clearly. Double-dipping, Q.E.D.

I will give NCL the benefit of the doubt that it is going to the servers, because if NCL wanted the money just for themselves, they could have simply raised the fares $35 a week and no one would have notice....thank about it!

Nope. Hidden taxes and charges, off the headline rate, are the easiest to get through.

Until NCL puts something in writing or makes an official statement, we are all just guessing or surmising about what we think is going on, I agree.

But, it seems pretty obvious that the NCL rep Niquein99 spoke to did not just pull this out of her arse. You don't think NCL reps are given information on policies and procedures ( although it seems they are always the last to know, I agree:rolleyes:). They were obviously told something, probably because they were getting tons of calls about the 18%.

NCL did respond in the other identical thread.

Maybe because we don't condemn a company before we have all the facts. Not to mention, you have no idea how the specialty restaurant servers were paid in the old systems...did they get the same amount as the servers that didn't work in the specialty restaurants or even if the crew got all of the DSC or only a small portion. If and when it is proved that the crew is not getting the money, I'll have a different view, but before that I can't believe that all the loyal NCL customers would vilify them and accuse them of double dipping or taking all the money for themselves before they have all the facts.

Yes..but we are still waiting for the facts...not getting them here..or social media or from the reps.....NCL...WHERE ARE THE FACTS ??

This can be construed as triple dipping. One must pay the upcharge for the specialty restaurant, the DSC, and now the 18% gratuity. In my opinion, if the waitstaff is already included in the DSC, passengers should not be obilgated to tip further unless they wish to slip them some cash.

We will avoid this by dining in the MDR every night.

We will as well.

So, as of March first, they've upped the DSC, minimally, and now doesn't include servers in the specialty restaurants? So then adding 18% auto-gratuity? How many people will complain? Besides the ones here on CC? Cruisers new to NCL won't think anything of this. And then there are some that won't even notice. I always felt defensive of NCL, when people came back from their cruise, saying they felt nickel and dimed. I was planning on buying the cruise rewards/deposit on your next cruise, when we are on the Breakaway next weekend.... Not now, think I will shop around for the cruise in December.

Edited by janicemarie29

This line of thinking sort of de-rails the topic a bit. Remember, we have all the facts as NCL has provided them. The function of the DSC is outlined clearly. The 18% auto-grat (surcharge) is outlined clearly. Double-dipping, Q.E.D.
This is exactly what people are complaining about. (1) that the servers will not get any or all of the 18 percent gratuity and (2) that NCL is double dipping and now it has even been said that they are triple dipping and (3) that NCL is taking the money for themselves. You have no facts, people are guessing that the servers are not getting the money, that NCL is taking the money, that the specialty restaurant servers get a portion of the DSC.....you have no facts.

So, as of March first, they've upped the DSC, minimally, and now doesn't include servers in the specialty restaurants? So then adding 18% auto-gratuity? How many people will complain? Besides the ones here on CC? Cruisers new to NCL won't think anything of this. And then there are some that won't even notice. I always felt defensive of NCL, when people came back from their cruise, saying they felt nickel and dimed. I was planning on buying the cruise rewards/deposit on your next cruise, when we are on the Breakaway next weekend.... Not now, think I will shop around for the cruise in December.

Unless you are completely new to cruising and/or eating in a specialty restaurant, there will be complaints. No cruise line that I know of, at least not Disney, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, or CCL, charges a 18% gratuity to the upcharge.

This is exactly what people are complaining about. (1) that the servers will not get any or all of the 18 percent gratuity and (2) that NCL is double dipping and now it has even been said that they are triple dipping and (3) that NCL is taking the money for themselves. You have no facts, people are guessing that the servers are not getting the money, that NCL is taking the money, that the specialty restaurant servers get a portion of the DSC.....you have no facts.

Again, I don't care about what NCL does with the money. I don't care which server gets it. I don't care how much the dude who cleans the crapper gets. My position has been clear: people need to stop looking into other people's wallets.

I care that auto-grats in the specialties paid together with the DSC represent double-dipping. That's what this is about.

The discussion of who gets what is a side topic and a distraction.

So, we are to believe that as of March 15th, these wait staff are 1 - no longer part of the DSC pool and 2 - work only in the specialty restaurants? Sounds like a good deal to me. Free room and board, and only have to work 4 - 5 hours a day. Sign me up!

I don't believe that for one second.

Silly me, I always thought the tips I left for good service in the pay venues went to the server or at least the pool in the restaurant.

It really makes me wonder when the new CEO of the company says he is going to extract another $50 per customer and service charges, added gratuities, new gratuities and other add-on's suddenly rise. At this point I don't believe the staff is going to be seeing much of these extra dollars. It looks like a hidden fare hike, off setting all the programs they are using to entice folks to book.

Sadly, I will go along with the program as I'm on vacation and I don't want to deal with kind of crap. But it will also make me look around at other vaca choices. And finally, at 18%, my servers are going to be taking a reduction in tip......if they ever really received what I left for them in the past.

I quit going to a local coffee shop when I found out the owner took the girls tips and when that little piece of information spread around town it wasn't long before the doors were closed. It's just bad karma in my book.

If you need to raises the prices, raise the prices. I hate shady business practices.

Edited by jingle5616

Again, I don't care about what NCL does with the money. I don't care which server gets it. I don't care how much the dude who cleans the crapper gets. My position has been clear: people need to stop looking into other people's wallets.

I care that auto-grats in the specialties paid together with the DSC represent double-dipping. That's what this is about.

The discussion of who gets what is a side topic and a distraction.

It is most definitely double dipping.

Yes..but we are still waiting for the facts...not getting them here..or social media or from the reps.....NCL...WHERE ARE THE FACTS ??
I don't know if NCL has to give anyone the facts about how their employees are paid to anyone. Does a department store tell you how their staff is paid or any other company. A company has the right to change their policies anyway they want and we as consumers have the right to not patronize a company that we disagree with as far as how they pay their staff, what they charge us for a product, etc. But I certainly would not accuse a company of doing things, that some have accused NCL of doing on this thread, without knowing that that is what they are doing. You all can surmise that they are not paying the servers the percentage and taking it all for themselves, but no one knows if they are doing it or not.

If it were to become fact that NCL is keeping this 18 percent for themselves, I would be really ticked off and would have to decide if I would still cruise with them, because that would be so unfair to their servers, because passengers like me would stop tipping extra thinking that they were getting the automatic tip. But the fact is, no one on here knows if this is true, so until I have documented facts, I will continue to cruise with NCL and go to the specialty restaurants and not jump on the bandwagon and vilify them for something I don't know is true.

It is most definitely double dipping.

Absolutely.

NCL raises the DSC, then a couple weeks later adds an auto-grat to the specialties. It is ludicrous that any could could defend this as not double-dipping. What they do with their internal program is their business. How many friggin' fees I am told to pay is mine.

And that garbage NCL posted about being in alignment with land-based restaurants? Hogwash. The only place I see auto-grats are on ships! ETA: okay... maybe at land restaurants, you will see something like "a 20% gratuity will be added to parties of 10 or more" but that's not even close to the same thing.

Personally, I will avoid the specialties now on principle alone. I may stiff the steward for good measure, too!

Edited by triptolemus

I agree with you that we have no idea how staff is compensated beyond NCL's statement about the purpose of the DSC being to cover staff incentive and welfare programs. And I don't think we will ever know and not sure we need to. I always assumed it went to merit based wage increases or periodic bonuses based on performance and customer feedback.

But, NCL could not have handled these recent changes any worse if they had tried. If NCL doesn't give me any explaination otherwise, then I have no choice but to assume double dipping and a further attemp, along with increased drink rates, drink gratuities, increased DSC and Suite DSC (with the poorly worded inclusion of Butler and Concierge as justification) to increase their bottom line and make up for losses involving the recent promos. Don't they have any PR people advising them and coordinating how the information is desiminated with some explaination to the public in advance or at the time of the change? Do they really think that we are just going to eat all these increases with no explanation or understanding of who is included in what pool?

I always thought the extra cost of the specialty restaurants was supposed to be for superior service (which I sometimes found lacking). I enjoyed the food, but it wasn't any big deal. With added gratuity, that implies that the cover charge is for the superior food alone. In that case, the cost isn't worth it to me.