Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

[quote name='sixesandeights']Math is math....doesn't change. Read the posts before posting in the future...

6&8[/QUOTE]

The only people that can tell me what to do are God and my mother. I know that you are not God, and you are living...and typing so I know you aren't my mother.

Enough said.

[quote name='hawkeyetlse']The card is coded, but I think the stickers help the servers know how to process the payment at the end. .[/QUOTE]

Yes...but is it coded as to when you booked ? And also tell server that booking was before the new tip policy?? :confused: Or are we back to everyone will pay the added gratuity no matter when they booked :confused:

[quote name='jaja']Yes...but is it coded as to when you booked ? And also tell server that booking was before the new tip policy?? :confused: Or are we back to everyone will pay the added gratuity no matter when they booked :confused:[/QUOTE]

If you have already paid for the UDP there is nothing more for them to charge you.....you will get a zero bill. Ever a 100% auto-gratuity on 0 is still 0. If you have not already paid for the UDP you will be charged the 18% when you pay for the UDP not in the specialty.

6&8

[quote name='bobg529']Is this how Del Rio makes his extra pound of flesh? Well, I never thought the day would come, but I shall no longer be paying the DSC. If they can milk us here, then what will come next? Charging for the use of a beach towel? Perhaps "discretionary soap charges"? Toilet paper rentals???:eek: I'm sorry, but gratuities are supposed to be provided for excellent service. It should not be an excuse for employers to UNDERPAY their employees on the backs of their customers. This is going to bite NCL right in its wallet, just wait and see!:mad:[/QUOTE]

And remember this is after we all got notified of the increase in Daily service charge. I pre-paid and now can't take it back. I was planning on tipping extra in the specialty restaurants, but now won't. Have we had any clarification on UDP and 18% added tips?

[quote name='carolmacey']And remember this is after we all got notified of the increase in Daily service charge. I pre-paid and now can't take it back. I was planning on tipping extra in the specialty restaurants, but now won't. Have we had any clarification on UDP and 18% added tips?[/QUOTE]

1) If you have pre-paid Gratuities you can call and have them refunded.

2) If you have already paid for (or received free) the UDP then there is no additional charge. 18% of zero is zero. If you have not already paid for the UDP then you will be charged the price plus 18%

6&8 Edited by sixesandeights

[I]"socialmedia@ncl.com"

[/I][B]Thanks for the email address. I think everyone should email them and voice their opinions. Not wait till their cruises down the road by taking off of their DSC.

NCL needs to hear from us loud and strong and all at once, NOW!!

I won't use specialty restaurants now!!! And NCL will hear this from me NOW!

Off I go to send an email .........
[/B]

[quote name='sixesandeights']If you have already paid for the UDP there is nothing more for them to charge you.....you will get a zero bill. Ever a 100% auto-gratuity on 0 is still 0. If you have not already paid for the UDP you will be charged the 18% when you pay for the UDP not in the specialty.

6&8[/QUOTE]

:) thanks...(here's hoping they know that :rolleyes:)

Well ..... my email to [email]socialmedia@ncl.com[/email] just got sent! I let them know I will not be dining at any Specialty Restaurants because of this new 18%.

I also stated that if they are not careful, that their customers that are loyal to them may not be so loyal if they keep adding on fees like this.

[quote name='shealea']Well ..... my email to [email]socialmedia@ncl.com[/email] just got sent! I let them know I will not be dining at any Specialty Restaurants because of this new 18%.

I also stated that if they are not careful, that their customers that are loyal to them may not be so loyal if they keep adding on fees like this.[/QUOTE]

I sent one there and copied [email]publicrelations@ncl.com[/email]

[quote name='sixesandeights']No, you were CORRECTED because you tried to say that 0 * 18% might not be zero....

6&8[/QUOTE]

She asked a legitimate question. NCL has provided next to nothing in the way of information. NCL could very easily charge the 18% tip for the server on the free packages if they chose to. As others have pointed out, if you have a gift card for a restaurant, is the server going to buy the fact that your actual cost was zero and therefore their tip is zero? I suppose you could give them a little math lesson and that would suffice. For the moment, it doesn't appear that they are choosing to add it, but who knows what will happen tomorrow.

[quote name='triptolemus']This just simply is not the point. At all.[/quote]

Clearly. But I'm just amazed at how worked up this has gotten so many.

I guess this opens up more reservation spots for me and my family in the future since this has outraged so many. Thanks! We tipped cash in the specialties and will now assume that the 18% charge will now cover that.

[quote name='Winston Wolf']Clearly. But I'm just amazed at how worked up this has gotten so many.

I guess this opens up more reservation spots for me and my family in the future since this has outraged so many. Thanks! We tipped cash in the specialties and will now assume that the 18% charge will now cover that.[/QUOTE]

Yet again you fail to grasp the point as the entire concept of the discussion floats dreamily over your head...

NCL could definitely decide to charge the gratuities for the UDP if they chose to (once onboard). To think that is not a possibility is not taking into consideration corporate greed.

You embark onto the ship with a 0 balance, but you are charged the DSC. Whose not to say even if you prepay or are "gifted" the UDP you will not be charged the 18% when you dine?

I don't find it outside the realm of possibilities. Call me dumb if you want.

And by the way, we just completed our 43rd cruise. So, to talk to me like I don't understand the concept is ridiculous. But if it makes you feel more important, do what you must. Edited by SnootieTootie

[quote name='jaja']Not my idea of a restful cruise... me .having to document things to a server (who in 2016) will have no idea what I am talking about .

I did see that reply re: comp meal...but again..I want to hear it from NCL !

And I do not plan on calling NCL anytime soon...personally I do NOT put much faith in the varied replies reps are giving....and I believe most have no idea what is going on ...:([/QUOTE]

I spoke to NCL and you don't have to bring a thing. The 18% is charged when you purchase the UDP. Those that purchased it prior to the change doesn't have to pay it and those that purchased the UDP after the change will be charged for it when they purchase the UDP. The restaurant has no idea if you paid the 18 percent or not or when you purchased it and would not be charging it to anyone with an UDP, only those that eat in the restaurants without the package.

The gratuity is not charged on comp meals. It would be charged on upcharge items, like the lobster.

NCL also said that the Specialty Restaurant servers are not included in the DSC, that now it is just the complimentary dining staff, housekeepers, etc.

.Now, you can believe this or not, your choice.

[quote name='Winston Wolf']I guess this opens up more reservation spots for me and my family in the future since this has outraged so many. Thanks! We tipped cash in the specialties and will now assume that the 18% charge will now cover that.[/QUOTE]

I'm still going to dine in speciality restaurants about every two or three nights. What I won't be doing is to double tip, probably by adjusting DSC for those days when we eat in a speciality restaurant.

Before this week I didn't think that there would be any circumstances where I would adjust DSC to any direction, especially down.

[quote name='punkincc']She asked a legitimate question. NCL has provided next to nothing in the way of information. NCL could very easily charge the 18% tip for the server on the free packages if they chose to. As others have pointed out, if you have a gift card for a restaurant, is the server going to buy the fact that your actual cost was zero and therefore their tip is zero? I suppose you could give them a little math lesson and that would suffice. For the moment, it doesn't appear that they are choosing to add it, but who knows what will happen tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Quite the different situation. Here the servers are already earning a tip from the DSC. In a land based restaurant they are not getting a DSC and therefor a tip on the pre-giftcard bill is appropriate. And again if you purchase the UDP today they add the gratuity at checkout not in the restaurant so in fact we do know that it will not also be added on the ship, much like the UBP.

6&8

[quote name='NLH Arizona']
NCL also said that the Specialty Restaurant servers are not included in the DSC, that now it is just the complimentary dining staff, housekeepers, etc. .[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then a simple update to the pertinent pages on their website would be more than a little helpful in not putting a bunch of people off (right or wrong). If they can change the UDP page, they can change the DSC page. What the hell is wrong over there? So stupid.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I spoke to NCL and you don't have to bring a thing. The 18% is charged when you purchase the UDP. Those that purchased it prior to the change doesn't have to pay it and those that purchased the UDP after the change will be charged for it when they purchase the UDP. The restaurant has no idea if you paid the 18 percent or not or when you purchased it and would not be charging it to anyone with an UDP, only those that eat in the restaurants without the package.

The gratuity is not charged on comp meals. It would be charged on upcharge items, like the lobster.

NCL also said that the Specialty Restaurant servers are not included in the DSC, that now it is just the complimentary dining staff, housekeepers, etc.

.Now, you can believe this or not, your choice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, finally some answers

[quote name='triptolemus']If that's the case, then a simple update to the pertinent pages on their website would be more than a little helpful in not putting a bunch of people off (right or wrong). If they can change the UDP page, they can change the DSC page. What the hell is wrong over there? So stupid.[/QUOTE]

Here's what wrong over there....:eek::eek:

[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/cruise-like-a-norwegian-proponent-is-among-the-layoffs.html?nspPage=1[/url]

[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/svp-crane-gladding-has-exited-norwegian.html?nspPage=1[/url]

[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-trims-shoreside-workforce.html?nspPage=1[/url]

[quote name='LrgPizza']I would have rather they had just raised the cover charge of the specialty restaurants, and subsequently the price of the UDP. I doubt if there would have been such an outcry, and they could have done the exact same thing with the money that they plan to right now, whatever that might be. When O'Sheehan's team raised the price of the UBP, there wasn't this type of reaction. NCL has gone about this completely wrong.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Or just raise the DSC sufficiently. I can buy the fact that increased food, beverage and wage costs necessitate an occasional increase in prices. But why tack on an 18% charge when they have said all along that the DSC covers ALL need for gratuities except for a select few like butlers. What would have changed that this is no longer true and requires an additional 18%? The increases and add ons are coming much too fast. The way they have handled this 18%, NCL is quickly losing my respect and support and frankly, my dear, I don't really think they give a da** how any of us feel about it. (Quoting Rhett here, not calling you dear).:)

One thing that popped into my head when I FIRST read here about the 18% increase was this ......

OHHHHH ...... So that is how they are making up for the wonderful SPECIALS they are now running for UDP, UBP, and whatever the other choices are.

I just knew they would find some way to make up for all of that free stuff they are offering. So, if you booked this before they threw on this 18% fee, good for you, and boy, you are lucky you did it already.

That is what I always know ..... when something is free, companies will make up that $$$ that they are missing out on SOMEWHERE. An increase in prices, an increase in fees ....... But it will be made up somewhere.

And like others have wondered ... just how much of this is actually going to go to the staff that is serving you in these specialty restaurants. I'm guessing, yes just a guess ...... that they won't see it all. I'm guessing that much of it will go to NCL.

I guess I probably won't leave NCL, but I am also not going to eat in Specialty Restaurants. E-mailing NCL, and not dining there is the best way to let NCL know exactly how you feel!!!

Plus, we are going to be trying Carnival this coming Fall for a Mexican Riviera trip. So watch out NCL, you just may not be seeing so much of us in the future!!! ha!!!