Freedom of the Seas ..etc/etc/etc

Hello all, Jeff and Cyndee here, We are fairly new to cruising, been on only 3, we are now looking at the Sept 20 sailing from Port Canaveral to Coco Cay, St Thomas and St Maarten and we have A) never sailed Eastern Caribbean , B) never sailed Royal Caribbean (on a huge ship) ...:)

We have read some reviews of this ship, and some on internet the past few days, but we are looking for some first hand info from you guys that have sailed on this ship, and to these places .. coming back there is a straight 2 days of sailing so we would like to know as much as possible I guess ... like what's the food like ?? and most popular places to eat ?? Is there comedy shows (our favorite) and karaoke ???

Anything you all can think of and pictures would be a plus .. also I guess Coco Cay is a private island ?? and is there a need to book and excursion there or is it like walk around , explore it, and do as you want once you are there ???

Well, thanks in advance, and we wish you all well on your upcoming cruises :)

I can try to answer some of your questions but it would be better to search the boards for info. I'm assuming you know about the recent drydock from January? I would recommend viewing the recent live threads from Freedom. There is a live one happening now from the 3/15 sailing with many pics of the daily Cruise Compass, look at that to get a good idea of the activities and daily schedule. It's not the same itinerary but same ship and similar schedule for the most part.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2182750

To answer some of your other questions:

Food - Specialty restaurants include Chops ($35/pp), Giovanni's Table ($25/pp for dinner and $15/pp for lunch on sea days only, new since the drydock), Sabor ($25/pp for dinner and $15/pp for lunch on sea days only, new since the drydock), Johnny Rockets ($5.95/pp, doesn't include soda or shakes). The other food is standard RC stuff, Windjammer Cafe, Sorrento's pizza, etc.

Entertainment - karaoke yes, comedy shows yes, magic show yes, ice show yes, and standard production shows. No Broadway show like on the Oasis class.

CocoCay - You don't need an excursion here but it's possible to book one. There isn't much to "explore" as it's RC's private island but it's a great beach day and if you have any of the drink packages (alcoholic or not) you can use it here.

Freedom is our favorite ship. There is lots to do. They have a great crew and the food is, in my opinion, the best of the ships I have sailed with RCL. Check out the port threads for info about Coco. We use it as a beach day but that is our style and may not be yours.

Freedom is our favorite ship. There is lots to do. They have a great crew and the food is, in my opinion, the best of the ships I have sailed with RCL. Check out the port threads for info about Coco. We use it as a beach day but that is our style and may not be yours.

I second that!

Freedom was the first ship I've ever cruised on and that was the start to my addiction. I still find that ship to be the best. The staff was so amazing. I've stayed in contact with several people that work on that ship. Not to mention I've had the same waiter for all 3 previous cruises on Freedom. You will love it.

We enjoyed FOS twice now, both East & West. We have yet to try any of the specialty dining options because we have thoroughly enjoyed the included places. Maybe if we cruised more often the menu would get old and we would use that option. I would say the Ice Skating show is a must see! And if you have not ever been to Quest, it is entertaining too! :eek::D I figured out what we wanted to do/see from reading many reviews & checking out the port boards. If you give people an idea of type of vacation you like (relax or adventure or a bit of both) and what you would enjoy doing, it will help people offer better suggestions.

We are booked on THe Freedom of the Seas for next April.

Its my second Royal Cruise and 25th overall.

check the port of calls boards for stuff to do.

there is a lot of pay for places to eat.

(but I am liking that kids only play 8.00

In June we will be sailing on Freedom of the Seas for the 3rd time. We are excited to see her again after the dry-dock. We've never felt the need to use the specialty restaurants for dinner, although we've eaten at Johnny Rockets for a shake. We love this ship. Our last two cruises were to the Med and were port intensive so we are thrilled with the day on the private island Cococay and the days at sea. There is so much to do on the ship. Be sure to see the Ice Show and the Quest. On sea days, if you go to the Main Dining Room, they have a regular menu and Tutti Salad (which we LOVE). Also try the Main Dining Room one morning for breakfast. Room service bringing me coffee and juice as a wake up call is something I look forward to. I can then decide whether to have breakfast in the MDR or WJ. The Promenade Cafe has great little sandwiches and desserts (also free). We can't bypass that Cafe without at least getting a cookie. There's soft serve ice cream on the pool deck (free) and Ben & Jerry's in the Promenade (for fee). Even if you don't plan to participate at the FlowRider, watching it is fun. There's mini-golf and the rock-climbing wall, contests out by the pool. We've gone to both St. Thomas and St. Martin and they are both beautiful islands. We took a tour of the Dutch side and French side of St. Martin and there are beautiful beaches on both islands. No need for an excursion on the private island but they do have water sports and some vendors if you want to do a little shopping (carry cash). They have a big BBQ on the island for lunch and there are loungers and hammocks. You can eat at the tables where the BBQ is being cooked and served or take your food with you to a spot more private. Look on Royal Caribbean's site and you can see what's available for excursions at teh ports. It includes everything from swimming with dolphins, sea lions or turtles to snorkeling and jet skis. You'll have a great time whether you want to just lounge around on a beach or by a pool, tour the islands or try some of the water activities.

Freedom is a great ship and that itinerary is my favorite precisely for the two sea days at the end of the cruise. Get all the islands and running around and cabs etc etc done by mid week and then just sit back and watch the ocean go by---Love it!!:D

I STRONGLY second those at-sea days. Our first cruise on the FOS is April 19th. We are also relatively new to cruising. This will be our third RCCL ship. Our first two 3-day cruises simply wore me out (Carnival Sensation and Enchantment of the Seas). Our December cruise out of Tampa (Brilliance of the Seas) down to Cozumel had a sea day on the way down and one on the way back. I really enjoyed that!! I am really looking forward to these at-sea days on the Freedom of the Seas!

Wow, thanks for the responses, :) , when we sailed on our other cruises, there was like something pretty much open when you wanted something to eat, (even like at 11 or 12 in evening, there was a grille where you could get a Ruben or some pizza , etc ... Is it like this on the Freedom ???

I seen somewhere, but cant seem to find it now, ?? like there was another burger place option or something other than johnny's ... does anyone know what I'm thinkin of ??? lol :) lookin at all the options for cruises .. makin me crazy .. or crazier .. lol

Do people take water and soda on these ships ?? we drink coke zero and have taken like a 12 pack along on last cruises .. Carnival you had to carry on, Norwegian you just checked your carry on with sodas and they showed up with luggage .

Ok., i found this other place ... its called Devinly Decadence .. is this on the Freedom ?? also here is a list that i found off of Royal Caribbean website ... are all of these on the ship ??

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options&tab=1

That restaurant is only on the Quantum and Anthem

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR&br=R

Freedom has Sabor, Giovanni's and Chops as specialty restaurants :)

We are also looking at doing the Freedom Eastern Itinerary in May 2016... will be my first time in the USA too!

We have bought some jewelry on previous cruises on the ships, and when we got back, i researched the pieces and found that they were actually at a good price .. ex. i bought a Citizen Eco-drive watch for 322.00 and researched when I got home and the best deal I could get it for was 419.00 (plus tax) ...

These were last day sales .. is it true with RC on last couple days they have good sales on the ship ???

I asked previously ..Do people take water and soda on these ships ?? we drink coke zero and have taken like a 12 pack along on last cruises .. Carnival you had to carry on, Norwegian you just checked your carry on with sodas and they showed up with luggage

I can try to answer some of your questions but it would be better to search the boards for info. I'm assuming you know about the recent drydock from January? I would recommend viewing the recent live threads from Freedom. There is a live one happening now from the 3/15 sailing with many pics of the daily Cruise Compass, look at that to get a good idea of the activities and daily schedule. It's not the same itinerary but same ship and similar schedule for the most part.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2182750

To answer some of your other questions:

Food - Specialty restaurants include Chops ($35/pp), Giovanni's Table ($25/pp for dinner and $15/pp for lunch on sea days only, new since the drydock), Sabor ($25/pp for dinner and $15/pp for lunch on sea days only, new since the drydock), Johnny Rockets ($5.95/pp, doesn't include soda or shakes). The other food is standard RC stuff, Windjammer Cafe, Sorrento's pizza, etc.

Entertainment - karaoke yes, comedy shows yes, magic show yes, ice show yes, and standard production shows. No Broadway show like on the Oasis class.

CocoCay - You don't need an excursion here but it's possible to book one. There isn't much to "explore" as it's RC's private island but it's a great beach day and if you have any of the drink packages (alcoholic or not) you can use it here.

We are pretty much happy with all the standard foods that the ships have as (included) .. If we take anytime dining, you eat at the main dining room (at a different floor) correct ???

Dress code ??? also Elegant nights ?? or what does RC call it ??

We usually "dress up" 2-3 nights ... at main dining rooms .. is a pair of dress shorts and a button shirt along with deck shoes acceptable on non - dress up nights ??

In June we will be sailing on Freedom of the Seas for the 3rd time. We are excited to see her again after the dry-dock. We've never felt the need to use the specialty restaurants for dinner, although we've eaten at Johnny Rockets for a shake. We love this ship. Our last two cruises were to the Med and were port intensive so we are thrilled with the day on the private island Cococay and the days at sea. There is so much to do on the ship. Be sure to see the Ice Show and the Quest. On sea days, if you go to the Main Dining Room, they have a regular menu and Tutti Salad (which we LOVE). Also try the Main Dining Room one morning for breakfast. Room service bringing me coffee and juice as a wake up call is something I look forward to. I can then decide whether to have breakfast in the MDR or WJ. The Promenade Cafe has great little sandwiches and desserts (also free). We can't bypass that Cafe without at least getting a cookie. There's soft serve ice cream on the pool deck (free) and Ben & Jerry's in the Promenade (for fee). Even if you don't plan to participate at the FlowRider, watching it is fun. There's mini-golf and the rock-climbing wall, contests out by the pool. We've gone to both St. Thomas and St. Martin and they are both beautiful islands. We took a tour of the Dutch side and French side of St. Martin and there are beautiful beaches on both islands. No need for an excursion on the private island but they do have water sports and some vendors if you want to do a little shopping (carry cash). They have a big BBQ on the island for lunch and there are loungers and hammocks. You can eat at the tables where the BBQ is being cooked and served or take your food with you to a spot more private. Look on Royal Caribbean's site and you can see what's available for excursions at teh ports. It includes everything from swimming with dolphins, sea lions or turtles to snorkeling and jet skis. You'll have a great time whether you want to just lounge around on a beach or by a pool, tour the islands or try some of the water activities.

Coco Cay -- so, a huge BBQ ??? Thats right up my alley ?? lol (smoking meats and BBQ is a hobby of mine ) .. no problem finding a set of lounge chairs, or do you reserve them ?? wife wants to know about shopping ... actually her sister lived in St Thomas over 25 years, and she ran jewelry store at Sapphire

Resort, now she works for same company back in Pa. at Nemicolin Woodlands Resort ..

We are pretty much happy with all the standard foods that the ships have as (included) .. If we take anytime dining, you eat at the main dining room (at a different floor) correct ???

Dress code ??? also Elegant nights ?? or what does RC call it ??

We usually "dress up" 2-3 nights ... at main dining rooms .. is a pair of dress shorts and a button shirt along with deck shoes acceptable on non - dress up nights ??

Anytime dining (My Time Dining)is still in the main dining room but on deck 5.

There will be 2 formal nights. Not enforced but suggested. Many do go all out and dress up but many go with a business casual as well.

On other nights they do ask that there are no shorts in the MDR and I have just seen reports that they actually started to enforce this on another ship so I would make sure to bring a pair of long pants.

We have bought some jewelry on previous cruises on the ships, and when we got back, i researched the pieces and found that they were actually at a good price .. ex. i bought a Citizen Eco-drive watch for 322.00 and researched when I got home and the best deal I could get it for was 419.00 (plus tax) ...

These were last day sales .. is it true with RC on last couple days they have good sales on the ship ???

I asked previously ..Do people take water and soda on these ships ?? we drink coke zero and have taken like a 12 pack along on last cruises .. Carnival you had to carry on, Norwegian you just checked your carry on with sodas and they showed up with luggage

"Sales" happen at various times throughout the cruise. Make sure you know your prices. Some are and some aren't. Of you have an internet package you can check before you buy.

Water and soda should not be an issue except possibly at spring break. Some porters will allow you to put a luggage tag on it others will make you carry it on yourself.

"Sales" happen at various times throughout the cruise. Make sure you know your prices. Some are and some aren't. Of you have an internet package you can check before you buy.

Water and soda should not be an issue except possibly at spring break. Some porters will allow you to put a luggage tag on it others will make you carry it on yourself.

Welcome back Ken

Hoping you and the family had a great time on EN

Have a great weekend!

Happy Days!

We enjoyed FOS twice now, both East & West. We have yet to try any of the specialty dining options because we have thoroughly enjoyed the included places. Maybe if we cruised more often the menu would get old and we would use that option. I would say the Ice Skating show is a must see! And if you have not ever been to Quest, it is entertaining too! :eek::D I figured out what we wanted to do/see from reading many reviews & checking out the port boards. If you give people an idea of type of vacation you like (relax or adventure or a bit of both) and what you would enjoy doing, it will help people offer better suggestions.

We enjoyed your review .. looks like you all had a blast !! We are usually happy with all the (included foods and restaurants ) ... We just like to know sometimes where you can go late in evening maybe to get a grilled sandwich,(Ruben) or a slice of pizza, etc. etc ... We are not drinkers .. but, a frozen cappuccino or a specialty coffee , milkshake, etc ... is refreshing sometimes .. i read that poolside, you can get burgers, fries, dogs, and chicken ??? correct ??? :):)

Tell me all when I become a pain in the ___ ;)

Coco Cay -- so, a huge BBQ ??? Thats right up my alley ?? lol (smoking meats and BBQ is a hobby of mine ) .. no problem finding a set of lounge chairs, or do you reserve them ?? wife wants to know about shopping ... actually her sister lived in St Thomas over 25 years, and she ran jewelry store at Sapphire

Resort, now she works for same company back in Pa. at Nemicolin Woodlands Resort ..

Don't get your hopes up on the BBQ. Hot dogs and burgers and some ribs. Very basic and nothing smoked.

No problem finding chairs, you may just have to walk a little further.

The shopping is just a straw market, no actual stores. A lot of t shirts and wood carvings etc...

You can get pizza in the cafe promanade. They have it late at night. I've never seen hot sandwiches there but I haven't been on a ship in 2 years. We go on Freedom March 29th!! I don't know of a poolside eatery just the Windjammer buffet that is on the same deck as the pool. You could grab a burger from there and take it to the pool. I love the freedom class ships. Lots to do and lots of places to relax!

There have been live threads since February 15 (Western) they all have pictures and comments/hints about the ship so you may want to read both itineraries. If you do a search with "live freedom" they should come up. We had actually stopped cruising a while ago because the service had gotten so bad and decided to dip our toes in the water again. I was glad we did because the whole staff on the Freedom was OUTSTANDING, really appreciated our business. ImageUploadedByForums1426946302.202600.jpg.fe592a356f74c2ae99f4329cd5e816e9.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1426946163.182300.jpg.4cb1e13891843b1372e0293dd8406dfb.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1426946205.365822.jpg.336fb603702025989238d3e4ed5aaa25.jpg

Edited by Badgertr

We were on Freedom Eastern Caribbean last summer and such a great time we are going on Freedom Western next summer. Last summer we had a balcony and this time around I couldn't justify the $1600 for my morning coffee with a view so we are doing an inside cabin. I will miss it but feel like that money will much better spent on excursions etc.

Food was great, service was great and my kids had a blast. We ate in the MDR every night and hubby had the drink package and got his money worth.

There was a hurricane the week we went so the captain had to sale on the other side of the Bahamas and we missed Castaway Cay but had sunny skies the entire trip.

We did a snorkeling excursion at St. Thomas which was pretty good. At St. Marten we took the water taxi to the beach got 2 lounge chairs and bucket of beer. I think we spent $60 for the 4 of us total - it was awesome.

The week flew and we were never bored even with 4 days at sea. The shows we saw were pretty good. The only negative of the trip was pizza but thighs were grateful that it wasn't very good.

I would be happy to answer any specific question.

Don't get your hopes up on the BBQ. Hot dogs and burgers and some ribs. Very basic and nothing smoked.

No problem finding chairs, you may just have to walk a little further.

The shopping is just a straw market, no actual stores. A lot of t shirts and wood carvings etc...

Thanks for the clarification there. I too had heard the same thing. It's confusing when someone uses the word barbecue. Many people use the term BBQ to mean "cooking outside" or "cooking on a grill." From most accounts that I've read, the term barbecue truly refers to the process of slow smoking foods, sometimes with the inclusion of rubs or sauces. The process of throwing some meat on a grill and drowning it in some cheap store bought sauce is GRILLING, not a BBQ.