Onboard Quest Now

T739

Cannot use our verandah due to the neighbor's incessant smoking. Not only that, the night skies are currently beautiful, but our neighbors need their verandah lights on to smoke, so we are out of luck. Regent, we are returning to you...quality is the same, but smoking policy is the difference.

We had exactly the same problem on Quest in 2012, used our veranda twice in 25 days, so it's been an A1 ever since ( and will be until Seabourn ban smoking on verandas )

I don't see a dedicated (ventilated out through the stacks)smoking room on the new ship,shouldn't be too difficult and would make the majority of pax happy.

While I suppose your neighbor will want to extract his/her privilege to smoke and leave the light on all the time- since Seabourn has sold them a "smoking veranda" attached to their cabin- I hope that you have made YOUR right to use your veranda when you want to see the stars and always breathe clean air!

I would go beyond the Guest Services Manager and even the Hotel Manager and express my dissatisfaction to the captain.

So far on these threads I have learned that Regent and Silversea do not allow smoking on verandas.

Further...

Here is the policy from Seabourn's sister company Cunard within Carnival Corporation:

"What is the smoking policy on board?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our passengers has always been a key concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback we have received from our you our passengers, we have amended our policy with regard to smoking on board Cunard ships as shown below:

General

Smoking is not permitted in staterooms, on balconies or in public areas (with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, which is reserved for cigar and pipe smokers only)."

Here is the policy from Seabourn's sister company Princess within Carnival:

"

Stateroom Smoking Policy Update

For all voyages departing after January 15th, 2012, Princess Cruises will prohibit smoking in guest staterooms and balconies. This policy change reflects the preferences of a vast majority of our guests who value having their primary living space (both stateroom and balcony) smoke-free. As balconies are a hallmark of Princess Cruises, we believe it is important to keep this peaceful space clear of smoke. Violations to this policy will result in a $250 fine for each occurrence, which will be charged to the guest’s stateroom account. Keeping with the global trend toward more restrictive smoking policies and honoring the wishes of our guests, we feel this change will enhance our onboard experience and do more to help our guests escape completely."

I see that Holland America still allows smoking on verandas. While that's sad it explains why its head office which also manages Seabourn does not seem to care about the issue.

Also, add your views to the electronic questionnaire you will receive approximately 2 days after you disembark the ship. One can also write to Seabourn's Seattle office attn its president Rick Meadows and Marketing Head John Delaney.

Just to be clear.

Happy sailing!

The OP must be on the Manuaus>Fort Lauderdale cruise...

We are boarding the Quest in one week for a month long cruise. We hope there isn't a smoker next door! Maybe I'll play music on my iPad , speakers on while on my verandah should a smoker be next door....why should they be able to enjoy their verandah if I can't enjoy mine. ????

I will DEFINATELY make my feelings regarding Seabourn's antiquated smoking policy known to management when I'm on the ship.

We were on the Quest one year ago, and though smoke was noticeable at times, it wasn't obnoxious,...hence we rebooked...

Hoping we don't have a problem...keep us informed!

Cannot use our verandah due to the neighbor's incessant smoking. Not only that, the night skies are currently beautiful, but our neighbors need their verandah lights on to smoke, so we are out of luck. Regent, we are returning to you...quality is the same, but smoking policy is the difference.

Kick up a stink (well, I guess that's already there). You should be entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your space. Grrrr, that pees me off when I read about these situations.

Kick up a stink (well, I guess that's already there). You should be entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your space. Grrrr, that pees me off when I read about these situations.

I don't see what kicking up a stink does in this circumstance however. Well it brings again to the attention of the crew that lots of people don't like smoke and want the policy changed, and it's always good to reinforce that message, and perhaps, just perhaps you might get a room change. But the person in the next door room is also enjoying their space according to the rules Seabourn has laid down, they may well have chosen to cruise Seabourn *because* of the policy.

It boggles the mind that Seabourn still allows a situation where one person can light up and clear out the observation lounge, which is a lovely space we rarely get to use because of it, but they do and until they adopt a similar smoking policy to most other lines, if you get stuck next to a balcony smoker, you're pretty stuffed; there's little the crew on the ship at the time can do to help you.

My suggestion is to not waste time finding resolution. Smoking is allowed, so no real point crying about it. We've been through this exercise and it was not pleasant. They offered to move us from V4 to V6 for additional $5,000. HD treated us poorly, as though we were looking for a free upgrade just because. We wanted to move to spot where the veranda could be used. A call to our travel agent and within 10 minutes we had the V6 suite without added charge.

I have little sympathy for non smokers booking SB when they understand the company's smoking terms. It's like playing Russian roulette. Play often enough and the bullet will probably find you.

My suggestion is to not waste time finding resolution. Smoking is allowed, so no real point crying about it. We've been through this exercise and it was not pleasant. They offered to move us from V4 to V6 for additional $5,000. HD treated us poorly, as though we were looking for a free upgrade just because. We wanted to move to spot where the veranda could be used. A call to our travel agent and within 10 minutes we had the V6 suite without added charge.

I have little sympathy for non smokers booking SB when they understand the company's smoking terms. It's like playing Russian roulette. Play often enough and the bullet will probably find you.

Don't agree. Both this thread and others, plus letters to management should eventually make a difference. Noting that it is only HAL and Seabourn with these lax smoking rules, perhaps Carnival head honchos who evidently have a better approach on their other lines are the ones to target?

Disagree. Booking SB should not be akin to playing a game of chance. If I want that, I'll go to Vegas. This cruise line needs to alter its position. SB is holding out likely to squeeze that last bit of juice out of the "smoker's market"; ultimately, as non-smoking becomes fully entrenched and ubiquitous across all other cruise lines, they will have little choice but to adapt a new policy. Might as well get it over with. I'm currently booked with SB but will rethink the trip prior to final payment (next year) if they do not show good faith in bringing about the changes that make sense. As a matter of fact, based on this thread alone, I intend to write Mr. Meadow with exactly that position.

Sure, keep paying for a product that is not delivering what you want. It's your money. We don't like having smoke around us and our solution is to avoid this line until they come around. Keep up the fight and wake me up when they restrict smoking.

The only thing I do not like about Seabourn is the smoking policy - all the other similar lines do not match up in our opinion, for our particular likes and dislikes.

Therefore we continue to cruise Seabourn, avoiding the problem by choosing a window suite and avoiding the upstairs lounge after 8 p.m. This is not too much of a hardship. However, we will continue along with others to try to persuade the company to change their policy.

I think it's important to register your displeasure with the smoking policy as often as possible with an officer while on board.

I plan on doing that next week.

Yes, on most cruises we will be lucky enough to be only mildly inconvenienced. Yet it only takes one unlucky suite assignment to be really unhappy. That or a group of smokers that set up shop in the Observation lounge every evening...

I just received a response from Seattle, albeit not from Rick Meadows himself, saying that the company knows about what other Carnival brands do (that is that Carnival, Cunard and Princess do not allow veranda smoking etc) AND that Seabourn is aware of complaints/is balancing what smokers and nonsmokers want/will continue to look at the issue.

So... nothing new as of now for the remainder of 2015.

I recommend that otherwise satisfied customers of Seabourn and potential, future customers write to Rick Meadows and tell him what you want. He will get and then act on these messages sooner or later, I trust.

Happy sailing!

If the smoke is that big a problem:

1. Video it

2. Post it to YouTube, then send it to Seabourn/carnivals insurance carrier with links to the Princess Balcony fire

3. then ask in this day of increased liability what exactly they and their carrier are thinking as its already a known multi million dollar problem.

1. Video it

2. Post it to YouTube, then send it to Seabourn/carnivals insurance carrier with links to the Princess Balcony fire

3. then ask in this day of increased liability what exactly they and their carrier are thinking as its already a known multi million dollar problem.

Nice move

In my experience 90+ percent of the passengers do NOT smoke and that was the worst case, one cruise on the Pride had roughly 18 identified smokers. So why do the clear majority have to be inconvenienced? Majority rules- guess not.

Hmm...identifying and classifying the broad range of minority groups based on gender,religion, lifestyle choices, etc., is always the first step by the "ruling majority"...then it develops based on the level of the perceived

"inconvenience"...

Have you requested compensation - cash or on board credit- for the denial of smoke-free use of your veranda due to the smoker next door? As I said earlier,

Seabourn must think that allowing smoking on verandas is very beneficial to them or they would restrict it. It's about the health of nonsmokers and fire risk... And you have paid a premium over the price of deck 4 cabins to enjoy a veranda. And for what, this?

Seabourn used to hand out compensation when nonsmokers complained about denial of use of the Observation Bar (just last year, believe it or not!) when it was a smoker's lounge on the starboard side. So what has changed as far as that principle is concerned? In a word, nothing.

Good luck with your discussions and I do hope you can use your veranda on occasion!

Happy sailing!

1. Video it

Do you really think this is a better approach than writing letters to the company, complaining to shipboard personnel and whining on Cruise Critic?

What could possibly be "better" than whatever course of action or combination of actions work?!

I like the idea of a multipronged approach: videos, letters, on board complaints, whining (as you put it) and maybe even sky writing.

Only Seabourn in Seattle and/or Carnival in Miami can judge what impacts them and that's for them to reveal whenever it is that they choose the ban smoking on verandas and indoors at the Observation Bar. And as none of us on this CC thread works there, we will just have to wait and see...

You know it's just a matter of time that Seabourn more fully promotes the respiratory health of their nonsmoking customers and fire safety provisions, don't you?

Happy sailing!

I mailed a letter to Mr. Meadows today. Not expecting that it will result in a change of company policy, but I feel like I have taken some assertive action pre-emptively. If we end up with a smoking neighbor on our cruise I will certainly make my complaints to personnel on board as appropriate.