Hawaii - when to cruise

CQG67

We have taken 3 cruises to Hawaii. It would be hard to tell which berth and which direction the ship docks so most of your cruises in the open ocean port or starboard won't matter.

On the way out you could be facing south and on the way back you would be facing north.

We went in January and February. We wanted to see the whales in Maui and it was wonderful. Everyone who has taken this trip will tell you that the first two days going and the last two coming back with be bumpy and windy. The worst weather we had on one trip was the day we left Hawaii for the trip home.

If we were still in the US we would take this cruise again and again because we love sea days!

Good Luck with your plans.

Looking at Hawaii cruise from LA roundtrip and want to know when is the best time to cruise the Pacific. Also port or starboard?

Thanks.

Your only choice in January , Feb or March . These aren't cruises that are done all year round. The main cruise line is Princess . Carnival , HAL and Celebrity do a few . RCI only as repositioning cruises to Australia from Vancouver BC.

The above is not correct...Princess has cruises from LA to Hawaii roundtrip from Oct. this year to April of next year.

We have sailed the end of April & will be doing so again in about a month & had wonderful weather...tho, as many have said, the first 2 days out were chilly & choppy...if you are interested in whale watching the best time would be between Dec. & Mar.

I've never cruised to or around Hawaii, but I've been there probably 15 times.

To me, the important thing is NEVER go there in August or September. It's often super humid as well as hot. First part of October can be a continuation of that.

I personally would be happy to go to Hawaii any time other than those. I'm a little surprised, though, to hear about people going there again and again on a cruise. For us, it's settling in to one spot for two weeks that makes Hawaii so relaxing. A cruise there is probably a good idea for first timers, though, so you can scout the islands for a future stay. Just my opinion.

Jim

ELUA, the Hawaiiana Cultural Ambassadors will be on the Ruby out of LA in mid-November. One of the best reasons to be on this voyage. Early whales have arrived as early as September. Hurricane season lasts until the end if November.

To me, the important thing is NEVER go there in August or September. It's often super humid as well as hot. First part of October can be a continuation of that.

I personally would be happy to go to Hawaii any time other than those. I'm a little surprised, though, to hear about people going there again and again on a cruise. For us, it's settling in to one spot for two weeks that makes Hawaii so relaxing. A cruise there is probably a good idea for first timers, though, so you can scout the islands for a future stay. Just my opinion.

Jim

We love Hawaii any time of the year. It is our favorite and we try to go at least once per year. We usually try to stay at least 3 weeks and just love to hang out with no schedule for anything.

We did a RT Hawaii cruise from San Diego 2 years ago. We loved the cruise, but probably wont do it again. We went in Oct and the weather/temp crossing was not great the first 2 days and again the last 2 days.

I've taken the LA > HI cruise several times between January and March, most recently February 17th to March 4th. It was definitely not a warm weather cruise as temps were mostly in the 60's while at sea the entire cruise, not just the usual day or two out of/returning to LA. We saw lots of whales, though. On previous cruises, the best temps and fewest missed ports were in March. If it were me, I'd take this cruise in early March.

Edited by Pam in CA

Your only choice in January , Feb or March . These aren't cruises that are done all year round. The main cruise line is Princess . Carnival , HAL and Celebrity do a few . RCI only as repositioning cruises to Australia from Vancouver BC.

Definitely NOT true at all. We've done this cruise on Princess three times from LA, and all at the holiday time.

ELUA, the Hawaiiana Cultural Ambassadors will be on the Ruby out of LA in mid-November. One of the best reasons to be on this voyage. Early whales have arrived as early as September. Hurricane season lasts until the end if November.

Elua was on our last two cruises and they really add to the experience. Love listening to them perform Hawaiian music in the Piazza and up on deck, as well as take part in the hula classes.

We saw plenty of whales while off of Maui. We saw some males competing for the love of a female whale while on a snorkeling boat on one cruise, and also saw plenty of whales swimming around the Golden Princess just after we returned to the ship after spending a wonderful day at Whalers Village.

And for those who complain about all the sea days...they're only boring if you are.

Jim

It's funny how opinions differ on time we love September in Hawaii :). We've been so many times I've lost count but we've only done one cruise involving Hawaii and the mainland. That was a one way on Solstice from Honolulu to Vancouver at the end of April. Weather and sea conditions were fabulous. It was like glass the entire 5 days at sea.

As for being bored on sea days...I prefer to spend my precious vacation time at my destination not getting there. If you're traveling to be at sea with a side of Hawaii then this would be the trip for you. If Hawaii is the main attraction then you may want to look at alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim

Since you've never cruised to Hawaii...

The OP asked about time of year and whether to be port side or starboard... they didn't need to be counseled about a land trip. There's are so many great things about taking a cruise to Hawaii and Princess has it down to perfection.

This cruise is fabulous. Yes, it can be chilly usually the first two and last two days... but it's so worth it! We loved it so much, we've donned it four times a and returning in October.

Also, be aware that the seas may be rough... but, out of 4 cruises, two had rough seas and the others were as calm as can be.

I second the opinion that Elua is the best!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

We've taken the trip twice; once in January and one in April. On the Jan. one we saw lots of whales. On the April one we saw two spouts, no actual whales.

We loved both trips, but I'd go Dec.-early March the next time because seeing the whales is a treat for us.

There are no cruises to Hawaii during this time of year...

Cruises to Hawaii this year April 2015 and October 2015 from Los Angeles:

Apr 4 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Princess / Ruby

Princess

Oct 3 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Princess / Ruby Princess

Oct 17 Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA Carnival / Carnival

Oct 17 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Princess / Crown Princess

And from San Francisco:

Apr 29 San Francisco, CA San Francisco, CA Princess / Star Princess

Sep 25 San Francisco, CA San Francisco, CA Princess / Grand Princess

You said April to October. There is:

April 29. Star

September 7 pacific

Sept 19 star

Sept 25 grand

Oct 3 Ruby

October 14 Star

One in April, none in May, June, July and August.... that's what I took the poster's meaning. I guess Princess is starting those a little earlier than usual???? Usually, they start at the end of September.... October wasn't even mentioned...

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Since you've never cruised to Hawaii...

The OP asked about time of year and whether to be port side or starboard... they didn't need to be counseled about a land trip. There's are so many great things about taking a cruise to Hawaii and Princess has it down to perfection.

This cruise is fabulous. Yes, it can be chilly usually the first two and last two days... but it's so worth it! We loved it so much, we've donned it four times a and returning in October.

Also, be aware that the seas may be rough... but, out of 4 cruises, two had rough seas and the others were as calm as can be.

I second the opinion that Elua is the best!

Sorry. Didn't mean to get you all worked up.

Jim

One in April, none in May, June, July and August.... that's what I took the poster's meaning. I guess Princess is starting those a little earlier than usual???? Usually, they start at the end of September.... October wasn't even mentioned...

Let me refer you to post 14 to the October reference.

We believe that any time you can sail to Hawaii, is the right time! :eek: Our 1st cruise to Hawaii was on March 27 thru April 10, 2013. The weather was wonderful, the sights fantastic and of course the Golden was a superb cruise ship! :D

We did the standard things that a first-timer to Hawaii does and truly had a marvelous time. So much so that we are going back this coming Oct. 17 and continuing on to Samoa, Pago Pago, Bora Bora and Tahiti before returning to LA. :p :D

When you go, just set back and relax and enjoy! :D