Tracy Arm Fiord or Glacier Bay?

cruising camper

I can't remember how much the boat to Sawyer Glacier was with Allen Marine, but it wasn't crazy expensive as I recall. Maybe $150? I do remember that I had to email them directly to make arrangements, because it was an excursion offered through another cruise line but not through Princess. They had room for us and let us join it, and it was a wonderful trip. The boat was not jam packed with people and we even did some whale watching. Everyone we spoke to on our ship was very envious that we got to see both glaciers. It took a little extra planning but was well worth it.

Edited by pompeii

Glacier Bay! Especially if you think this will be your only trip to Alaska. Glacier Bay is never missed.

I have gone to Alaska many times and I have missed Tracy Arm on all 4 attempts to go there, 2x by large ship and 2x by small boat. Two of these trips were in July.

My first cruise to Alaska, we had Hubbard Glacier scheduled and we missed it. It was a huge disappointment to miss the only glacier scheduled. Thankfully I fell in love with Alaska and have made it back several times but I have yet to get to the glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm Fiord. I have been detoured to Endicott Arm 2x which was sort of disappointing, better than nothing but not as nice as Tracy Arm (according to friends who have done both).

Go with a sure thing - Glacier Bay

I agree with Coral, go with Glacier Bay, the sure thing. We have also been on a cruise to Tracy Arm that turned around because weather made it too dangerous to proceed. Glacier Bay is beautiful, you won't be disappointed.

We have done both. Glacier Bay is our favorite! We used our binoculars all day. The ship will stop at the glacier and turn ever so slowly so all areas of the ship see the face of the glacier for a long time. I think it takes about 30 minutes for each side.

It is so quiet up there. No airplane noises, no power lines, no car, train, truck noises. You will always remember the day!

We plan on cruising from Seattle in July 2016. Ruby Princess sails through Tracy Arm Fjord and Crown Princess sails through Glacier Bay. Any thoughts on the differences of the two?

Have done both. No question Glacier Bay is the best!!!!!!

We too have done both once.

Our first trip was a southbound trip and we spent a day in Glacier Bay. Cold, wet, but, never will we see anything as spectacular!

Our second was just last fall, one of the last, a round trip from Seattle. I assumed we would go to the glaciers up inside Tracy Arm. Sadly, we found out two things, the small boat trip that would take one up to the glacier, stops running after Labor day (We left the week after) and second, the port of Juneau call is for early afternoon on the round trip, so there was no time to even try to go all the way up the arm.

We saw more wildlife on the first trip. We were awed by the mountains and valleys in Tracy Arm.

But, if this is your first time, my vote is also for Glacier Bay.

We've also done both.

Glacier Bay is wonderous in its grandeur and Marjorie Glacier was awesome.

Tracy Arm (got all the way to the end) is fjord-like and the ice is so blue.

Both great in different ways. I concur with others that if first and/or only time if all else is equal go for Glacier Bay.

Also check the itineraries - likely the time spent in Glacier Bay will be longer and as a highlight of the cruise longer is better.

DW & I saw lots of medium size caving in Glacier Bay and that is one place where a balcony is a must. You can go in and out, warming back up and in between hearing the ice creek and seeing the glacier caving. Also can go out on deck to see the other side when the ship turns. Was on deck for this portion and seems like nothing was happening so while heading back, just missed a large size caving. Rushed back and saw much ice debris in the water.