Kids Club - 12/13

sarahleebones

So we are taking my daughter and her best friend on a cruise next March. The problem is, my daughter turns 13 on March 3rd. We cruise on the 12th. Her best friend doesn't turn 13 until 2 months later. I'm not flexible with the dates as this is our March Break. This is the first March Break that the friend has been available and not doing something with her own family.

So am I right in thinking that the kids club is useless for them this cruise?

So we are taking my daughter and her best friend on a cruise next March. The problem is, my daughter turns 13 on March 3rd. We cruise on the 12th. Her best friend doesn't turn 13 until 2 months later. I'm not flexible with the dates as this is our March Break. This is the first March Break that the friend has been available and not doing something with her own family.

Depends on what you mean by "useless". :confused:

Obviously, they aren't in the same age group, and thus can't be together. This does not mean that they can't go to, and enjoy the kids club.

If they simply desire to be together, then they can easily do so under your supervision. There is nothing that says that they HAVE to go to the kids club. Children can easily spend their vacations with their families.

Well, it is useless to them if the whole point is for them to be together.

I did some searching and see that under no circumstances would they allow my daughter who will be just 13 to go with the 12yr olds so I guess that's that.

I'm just disappointed as we have done other cruises where she is far to shy to participate in the kids club. With a friend, she would have participated. I remember reading about all the fun things like scavenger hunts and video game challenges....shyness always held her back. She said she would go this time though as her BF would be with her.

Oh well, I guess they will just have to make our/their own fun "sans" new friends.

When we board I'll go there and see if there are any events they would be able to participate in together....however, I'm assuming there is not as she will be considered a teen.

Well, it is useless to them if the whole point is for them to be together.

I did some searching and see that under no circumstances would they allow my daughter who will be just 13 to go with the 12yr olds so I guess that's that.

I'm just disappointed as we have done other cruises where she is far to shy to participate in the kids club. With a friend, she would have participated. I remember reading about all the fun things like scavenger hunts and video game challenges....shyness always held her back. She said she would go this time though as her BF would be with her.

Oh well, I guess they will just have to make our/their own fun "sans" new friends.

When we board I'll go there and see if there are any events they would be able to participate in together....however, I'm assuming there is not as she will be considered a teen.

Sounds like you have a lot going on.

A 12yo has, IMHO, a great deal of experience spending time away from their parents and in the company of kids their own age...they do this in school every day.

Sounds like she is shy about spending time away from her family while on vacations and has only agreed to try being stuck in day care now that a friend will be along.

Again...if the only point is that they be together, then why even look at the kids club? Just let them be together....problem solved.

I wouldn't worry that they are somehow missing out. If your daughter hasn't participated in past cruises, then she won't feel as though she's missing out on this one.

It's really not that big a deal....you are right....she doesn't know what she's missing and has been just fine hanging with us. It just always looks like so much fun - all the different activities. Heck, I'd join in if I could!:p

And for the record, I wasn't planning on using the kids club as "daycare". It's more about the fun to be had with the other kids.

There is nothing to say you have to be in the kids club to make new friends. It's not like every kid lives in there all day long. Yes, you will find lots of events that they can participate in together - just not kids club ones, which at those ages, might not matter that much.

Wow, you are handling these judgemental responses better than I would be! Since I don't think that you are looking for info re: your child's behavior, I will stick to your question...

Don't give up all hope that they can be together in the kids club. One year we did a cruise with our cousins (during busy spring break), and they let us have our girls move down to the younger kid group. They had just turned the age for the next group level. The younger cousin was not allowed to be in the older group but they did let my 2 girls go into the younger group so that they could be together. Of course it is more fun if they are together! Why would your daughter want to go to the kids club without her best friend? And if having her best friend there gives her the courage to join a new group and see what it is like to put herself out there in a new situation, that would be wonderful! Enjoy! :)

There is no harm in asking if your daughter can join activities with the younger group. I have heard it is easier to go down in age than up (except for turning 18). If they say "no", you are no worse off.

I love cruising as a family vacation because the kids' clubs allow for some adults only time, as well as family time. Sometimes it is beneficial for families to have independent activities and interests, rather than being at each others' sides every hour of the day.

My son just turned 13 as well, and this will be his first time in NCL's teen program. I am a little apprehensive about the mix of 13-17. I would much prefer it if they had a 12-14 group and a 15-17 group.

There is no harm in asking if your daughter can join activities with the younger group. I have heard it is easier to go down in age than up (except for turning 18). If they say "no", you are no worse off.

I love cruising as a family vacation because the kids' clubs allow for some adults only time, as well as family time. Sometimes it is beneficial for families to have independent activities and interests, rather than being at each others' sides every hour of the day.

My son just turned 13 as well, and this will be his first time in NCL's teen program. I am a little apprehensive about the mix of 13-17. I would much prefer it if they had a 12-14 group and a 15-17 group.

I've found the younger teens hang with the younger teens, the older teens hang with the older teens. I really doubt NCL will make an exception for the OP - I've never heard of it being done on NCL. We asked to have a 10 year old moved down to be with her 9 year old friend, and they said it couldn't be done.

I've found the younger teens hang with the younger teens, the older teens hang with the older teens. I really doubt NCL will make an exception for the OP - I've never heard of it being done on NCL. We asked to have a 10 year old moved down to be with her 9 year old friend, and they said it couldn't be done.

No experience with NCL but in general I have seen this happen on other cruise lines. The older and younger teens naturally form two different groups. And as far as the previous comment about kid's club being "day care" maybe that comment was directed towards how they think the daughter views it but as far as I am concerned I don't see it as day care as I can hardly keep my kid from wanting to go even when I'm ready for bed.

Edited by westcoastman

Which ship are you taking? Our kids made a bunch of friends but not in the kids club. Between the arcade, the slides, ping pong, O'sheehans , etc - they found some nice kids. Even in summer on the full f kids Getaway the activities in the teen lounge kept getting cancelled due to lack of participation. The action just wasn't in the kids clubs!

fwiw- the 12 year old club was not suitable for 13 year olds anyway. Too many younger kids. 13 year old ( and almost 13) May have outgrown a lot of that stuff.

• 9 months later...
Wow, you are handling these judgemental responses better than I would be! Since I don't think that you are looking for info re: your child's behavior, I will stick to your question...

Don't give up all hope that they can be together in the kids club. One year we did a cruise with our cousins (during busy spring break), and they let us have our girls move down to the younger kid group. They had just turned the age for the next group level. The younger cousin was not allowed to be in the older group but they did let my 2 girls go into the younger group so that they could be together. Of course it is more fun if they are together! Why would your daughter want to go to the kids club without her best friend? And if having her best friend there gives her the courage to join a new group and see what it is like to put herself out there in a new situation, that would be wonderful! Enjoy! :)

Thank you for this. Actually, this was my first and last thread I posted on the NCL forum here on CC...almost a year ago, until now. I didn't get a very friendly feeling from the responses. I was a little offended that people were accusing me of using it as daycare. At 12/13, it's hardly daycare. My daughter is shy on her own. When she is with a buddy, she is not. You hit the nail on the head with "of course it is more fun if they are together, why would your daughter want to go to the kids club without her best friend" My daughter has asked me numerous times if they can go and I keep telling her that they won't be allowed unless they are willing to be separated. Which of course, they are not willing. I'll politely ask when we board but won't be offended when they say no. I've already downloaded a bunch of scavenger hunts and will set those up for sea days for them. We will just have to make our own fun for them.

Which ship are you taking? Our kids made a bunch of friends but not in the kids club. Between the arcade, the slides, ping pong, O'sheehans , etc - they found some nice kids. Even in summer on the full f kids Getaway the activities in the teen lounge kept getting cancelled due to lack of participation. The action just wasn't in the kids clubs!

fwiw- the 12 year old club was not suitable for 13 year olds anyway. Too many younger kids. 13 year old ( and almost 13) May have outgrown a lot of that stuff.

We are on the Gem. Thank you so much for sharing this! Since it's over March Break there appears to be a lot of kids so here's to hoping they meet some at those spots!

There is nothing to say you have to be in the kids club to make new friends. It's not like every kid lives in there all day long. Yes, you will find lots of events that they can participate in together - just not kids club ones, which at those ages, might not matter that much.

Thanks so much - I know have a bit more hope :) There's been talk on our roll call re: a kid meet and greet so hoping that come through!

I was a little offended that people were accusing me of using it as daycare.

Sorry to hear that you assumed that "daycare" was somehow offensive. In this country, it is not a pejorative term.

Child care or day care is the care of a child during the day by a person other than the child's legal guardians, typically performed by someone outside the child's immediate family. Day care is typically an ongoing service during specific periods, such as the parents' time at work. The service is known as child care in the United Kingdom, crèche in Ireland and New Zealand, and child care or day care in North America and Australia (although child care also has a broader meaning).