Long Philadelphia Layover

srpilo

In August on our way to London to board our cruise, we have a 5 hour lay over in Philadelphia, and hope someone here has some experience with the airport and can pass on some suggestions for spending 5 hours at PHI

Pretty sure I don't have time to go into town right (??)

All help appreciated

Srpilo

In August on our way to London to board our cruise, we have a 5 hour lay over in Philadelphia, and hope someone here has some experience with the airport and can pass on some suggestions for spending 5 hours at PHI

Pretty sure I don't have time to go into town right (??)

All help appreciated

Srpilo

You don't really...it's 30 minutes each way by rail, but then you need to re-clear security..

There are a bunch of shops, and you could always get a day pass to an airport lounge...

There IS also a Marriott attached to the airport...you could pop over there for a bite to eat....

Airline lounges are nothing to really get excited about. Except for the free internet and free drinks they are nothing much to write home about. You get much better food choices in the main terminals (unless trail mix type stuff is all what you want :eek: )

• 2 weeks later...

In the domestic terminals at Philly there is lots of places to eat and shop, and rocking chairs to sit in to relax, plus free wifi. Philadelphia has done a nice job here. Some of the terminal are connected after security so you can walk around from one domestic terminal to another. The international terminal is separate but easy to get to. There is not much around the airport. You could take a train downtown which is about 1/2 hour away but with trains leave either every half hour or an hour depending on the time so I would carefully check my time and maybe take a taxi back. If you wanted to do this take the train to Market Street East and spend an hour at the historical sites which are close to The station ( Independent Hall, the library bell). But I would be very careful of my time here. Boarding time usually starts well before the actually time for the flight and you would need time to get through security at the airport which at times in Philadelphia can be a nightmare. Too bad you are not flying in a day early! Philadelphia is a great city to explore. it is becoming a real foodie city and the historical stuff and art museums are fabulous.

Edited by Ferry Beach Kayaker
Typos

There is definitely not enough time to leave the airport, PHL has horrendous security lines.

My suggestion is Legal Seafoods between the B&C concourses. Have a long lunch and a couple of drinks. Jet Rock is definitely after security. There is some great art over in the A terminal connector. Shops to look in. It's actually my favorite long layover airport after LHR. Which carrier are you flying? I might be able to advise on club access and whether it's worth it.