Room Service Menu changes explained

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Here are a couple constructive suggestions that might help make this explanation/pronouncement/un-policy change more...lucid :)

Individual items on the menu remain on a complimentary basis. [new sentence] A convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

Or the other very slight but important re-wording,

Individual items on the menu remain on a complimentary basis, however, a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order.

Just wait until McDonald's gets wind of this scheme: Now all drive-thru items are free, but there is a $10 per passenger window-charge for convenience/ delivery. BRILLIANT!

Maybe not McD's, but the EPA may jump on the bandwagon for the extra pollution from idling cars!:p

I would like to add that I was originally considering paying the extra fee for Cirque and maybe one other specialty dining night. With the extra 18% and all the other extra charges that have been added since I made my deposit, I definitely won't be giving NCL any more money. Even though I would have left an extra tip anyway, it's the principle of being forced to tip if I am not happy with the service. I have the UBP and will still tip an extra dollar for a drink, just because I had planned to do that anyway before all the extra charges started coming.

Just talking out loud, if these convenience fee is only being tested on the Breakaway and Getaway, why has the website FAQ been changed so quickly! Things that make you go hmmm!

And as Harriet had posted earlier, not only have the changes been made to the General FAQ pages...but also to ship specific pages such as found on the Gem (not involved in the 'trial') here;

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/Dining

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day (subject to convenience charge).

Just a little something else to make you go hmmm :rolleyes:

Rochelle

For everyone that has an issue with this, you should cancel all your future cruises with NCL over this TEST, that you don't know if it will become the norm on all ships. You have the power over your purse strings. By all means don't wait for the outcome of the test.

Edited by NLH Arizona

For everyone that has an issue with this, you should cancel all your future cruises with NCL over this TEST, that you don't know if it will become the norm on all ships. You have the power over your purse strings. By all means don't wait for the outcome of the test.

I have no plans to abandon ship but I can see the writing on the wall. In this case it's on the website.. not hard to make the leap. :)

Rochelle

I guess FDR figured he could hack and chop the PR department because there were some here on CC willing to do their work for free.

Though as somebody said, explaining the inexplicable is tough work. I'm not sure if they're up to it.

Apparently his full name is Frank Charles Montgomery Burns Del Rio ..

I have no plans to abandon ship but I can see the writing on the wall. In this case it's on the website.. not hard to make the leap. :)

Rochelle

I would rather have them raise the fees for "choice" items, then for them to raise the cruise fares. One can cruise without paying the 18 gratuity on drinks or specialty restaurants if the so choose. One does't have to partake in room service. To me, it is all about choices.

And as Harriet had posted earlier, not only have the changes been made to the General FAQ pages...but also to ship specific pages such as found on the Gem (not involved in the 'trial') here;. Rochelle[/Quote]

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day (subject to convenience charge).

Well, that IS an intriguing statement, indeed. I wish we had a look at these enhanced menus and more clarification on what "bring the restaurant to your stateroom" means.

Now if they would just leave the AM coffe and Danish free with no delivery charge, I would probably be more than willing to order an occassional entree from the MDR and pay a "convenience" fee of $8 for the fun of having it on my balcony. Or what would be even more super would be the option to order some items from a specialty restaurant. I would willingly pay the cover PLUS an $8 delivery for the ability to have a Specialty dinner on my balcony. ( for those of us who don't travel in suites).

Room Service

Well, that IS an intriguing statement, indeed. I wish we had a look at these enhanced menus and more clarification on what "bring the restaurant to your stateroom" means.

Now if they would just leave the AM coffe and Danish free with no delivery charge, I would probably be more than willing to order an occassional entree from the MDR and pay a "convenience" fee of $8 for the fun of having it on my balcony. Or what would be even more super would be the option to order some items from a specialty restaurant. I would willingly pay the cover PLUS an $8 delivery for the ability to have a Specialty dinner on my balcony. ( for those of us who don't travel in suites).

Those with the UDP would have the room service staff run off there feet,,,all for an $8 fee.

Rochelle

Here are a couple constructive suggestions that might help make this explanation/pronouncement/un-policy change more...lucid :)

Individual items on the menu remain on a complimentary basis. [new sentence] A convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

Or the other very slight but important re-wording,

Individual items on the menu remain on a complimentary basis, however, a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order.

I think what they really meant to say is:

Individual items on the menu remain on a complimentary basis. A convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed in regard to enhanced menu items.

Harriet

I would rather have them raise the fees for "choice" items, then for them to raise the cruise fares. One can cruise without paying the 18 gratuity on drinks or specialty restaurants if the so choose. One does't have to partake in room service. To me, it is all about choices.

The problem is that if you go too far with Feestyle Cruising, you wind up with very low base fares (maybe?) but now you have to pay for everything. All the entrees on the MDR menu have different prices, just like in a land restaurant, you have to pay for your apps and dessert, heck, you have to pay to tender off the ship. EVERYTHING. Why not? Somebody on board isn't going to get off at Port Canaveral, so why should they pay for workers to run the gangplank out for you?

There's a sweet spot between everything included in the base fare, and nothing included. I would say that NCL has cut more than they realized from the "cruise experience." For all I know you're one of those people who simply don't have to let their eyes shift right on a menu and check prices, but I submit that (even here on CC!) most do, so that "splurging" is usually accompanied by making the "choices" you seem to be so fond of. Which can make "splurging" an anxiety-provoking experience for some.

It's like UBP. Maybe you'll have to work at it in order to actually save money with it, but the intangible and hidden benefit, as so many here have pointed out, is the FREEDOM to try new things without having to shift eyes right and check prices.

I don't know if you truly understand how relaxing and wonderful that can make vacation time. I do, and it would be a real shame if NCL succeeds this time around (and especially if the other lines pick it up). My guess is you're far more committed to the "cruise vacation" concept than I am; my upcoming trip is only my fourth in seven years and I have no further ones planned. This is your world, not mine. But I'm surprised you can't see what's being lost here, slowly but surely.

It is a big assumption that base fares will stay low because of these changes. Companies can set fares however they like, ultimately supply and demand will determine what everyone pays. So yes, your base fares will drop once unsuspecting passengers learn of these extra costs while onboard and decide reconsider their options for next cruise. Having 3 more megaships will not help increase demand. These cruiselines did this to themselves if they're unhappy with lower fares, no one asked them to build these behemoths. I am pretty certain all these additional fees are no way in any shape or form means increase in pay for the employees since March. It won't be long before the crew gets disgruntled as more passengers gets disgruntled and adjust the DSC to correct any double tipping. Service will suffer leading to more customer dissatisfaction and more adjustment of the DSC and rightfully so as bad service do not deserve tips.

If new management wants to turn their ships into ferries, then don't be surprised if no one is willing to pay for it. If the other cruiselines wants to follow suit, do it at their own peril. If we consumers continue to accept additional fees for no return, then we deserve our fate and get what we deserve; a cruise experience that we will no longer recognize. I am grateful iwas able to enjoy cruises the way it used to be and I feel sorry for all the newbies who would not be able to experience what made us all cruise addicts.

Anyone who believes none of these changes will affect you because you can just choose not to partake in these paid services or goods is sadly mistaken. These changes will alter the behavior of most passengers and the ripple effect will be felt by you. Plus wrong is wrong whether it affects you or not. Stealing is still wrong even if you are not the victim. Can anyone really disagree with this? That's what some seem to imply because these changes don't affect them.

Those with the UDP would have the room service staff run off there feet,,,all for an $8 fee.

Rochelle

Just like the UBP does not cover drinks ordered to your room for that very reason, it would be simple enough to exclude specialty meals sent to your room from coverage in the UDP. But probably just a pipe dream anyway.

Just like the UBP does not cover drinks ordered to your room for that very reason, it would be simple enough to exclude specialty meals sent to your room from coverage in the UDP. But probably just a pipe dream anyway.

Agree whole heartedly.

Rochelle

The problem is that if you go too far with Feestyle Cruising, you wind up with very low base fares (maybe?) but now you have to pay for everything. All the entrees on the MDR menu have different prices, just like in a land restaurant, you have to pay for your apps and dessert, heck, you have to pay to tender off the ship. EVERYTHING. Why not? Somebody on board isn't going to get off at Port Canaveral, so why should they pay for workers to run the gangplank out for you?

There's a sweet spot between everything included in the base fare, and nothing included. I would say that NCL has cut more than they realized from the "cruise experience." For all I know you're one of those people who simply don't have to let their eyes shift right on a menu and check prices, but I submit that (even here on CC!) most do, so that "splurging" is usually accompanied by making the "choices" you seem to be so fond of. Which can make "splurging" an anxiety-provoking experience for some.

It's like UBP. Maybe you'll have to work at it in order to actually save money with it, but the intangible and hidden benefit, as so many here have pointed out, is the FREEDOM to try new things without having to shift eyes right and check prices.

I don't know if you truly understand how relaxing and wonderful that can make vacation time. I do, and it would be a real shame if NCL succeeds this time around (and especially if the other lines pick it up). My guess is you're far more committed to the "cruise vacation" concept than I am; my upcoming trip is only my fourth in seven years and I have no further ones planned. This is your world, not mine. But I'm surprised you can't see what's being lost here, slowly but surely.

First off, I'm retired so I do look at prices. I'm currently at a hotel in Lake Tahoe and they charge $5 to deliver room service, I don't want to pay it, so I went down to the restaurant for breakfast.....my choice to pay it or not.

Of course, I truly understand how wonderful a vacation can be without having to look at things. I also cruise with Celebrity and Crystal, along with NCL.

I don't think anything is being lost and I don't understand that you don't get that you don't see that (1) it is about choices and you don't have to pay any of these increases if you don't want and (2) NCL is a business and they don't have to get their customers permission to make changes nor do they have to give advance notice of such changes, I think they should have, but they don't have to

We would all like the things we like included in the base fare. One poster wanted pizza free 24/7, I would like a reduction in the cost of spa treatments, but we all can't have everything we want. I would rather have a lower base fare, with complimentary dining, some complimentary drinks, some complimentary shows and activities and everything else be for a fee, because that way I can choose where I want my dollars to go, instead of supplementing what others want. You and others might feel differently and I would never tell you that you are wrong, just that you have different wants and needs.

It is a big assumption that base fares will stay low because of these changes. Companies can set fares however they like, ultimately supply and demand will determine what everyone pays. So yes, your base fares will drop once unsuspecting passengers learn of these extra costs while onboard and decide reconsider their options for next cruise. Having 3 more megaships will not help increase demand. These cruiselines did this to themselves if they're unhappy with lower fares, no one asked them to build these behemoths. I am pretty certain all these additional fees are no way in any shape or form means increase in pay for the employees since March. It won't be long before the crew gets disgruntled as more passengers gets disgruntled and adjust the DSC to correct any double tipping. Service will suffer leading to more customer dissatisfaction and more adjustment of the DSC and rightfully so as bad service do not deserve tips.

If new management wants to turn their ships into ferries, then don't be surprised if no one is willing to pay for it. If the other cruiselines wants to follow suit, do it at their own peril. If we consumers continue to accept additional fees for no return, then we deserve our fate and get what we deserve; a cruise experience that we will no longer recognize. I am grateful iwas able to enjoy cruises the way it used to be and I feel sorry for all the newbies who would not be able to experience what made us all cruise addicts.

Anyone who believes none of these changes will affect you because you can just choose not to partake in these paid services or goods is sadly mistaken. These changes will alter the behavior of most passengers and the ripple effect will be felt by you. Plus wrong is wrong whether it affects you or not. Stealing is still wrong even if you are not the victim. Can anyone really disagree with this? That's what some seem to imply because these changes don't affect them.

What is NCL stealing? Raising ones price or charging is not stealing. Do the clothing manufactures and department stores steal from you when they raise prices? How about oil companies when they raise prices without advising you up front? Stealing is a big word to throw around with regard to these changes.

Do the changes affect me, of course some do. I will now will pay $2.95 more per day for the DSC, I only eat in the specialty restaurants and I drink soda, wine and an occasional drink. I don't do room service on a cruise and I would not pay $4 or $7 to have it delivered.

I don't feel like a victim, but if I did, I would do business with a company that would make me feel like one. There are a number of stores I haven't done business with in years, because I didn't feel appreciated, but NCL is not one of them.