Ultimate Beverage Package question

Junebug08

Regarding the above .....because gratuity was paid already with the package (or included if you got it as a promo). Either the base price of your drink was higher than $11, or else you were mischarged. I've had UBP twice, and this is how it works......just because it was included with package, or promo, or "this is how it works", really right now doesn't mean anything. Several of the other major changes of late were "included, or how it worked"...WHEN WE BOOKED...however that doesn't mean by the time we get onboard this will be the case. (Especially the gratuities included part).

NCL may well spring a change on this policy as well.

I will never pay for or accept the beverage package on another NCL cruise. We booked our Sun Alaska cruise early and NCL did not charge gratuities on the package. Our cruise was in September. However, my Son has gone on two NCL cruises after NCL changed the policy and had to pay the 18 % on the VALUE of the package, which is quite a lot.

DW and I are modest drinkers and normally spend about $500 total for both of us on alcohol for two weeks on a cruise. Also, we are platimum and get two free bottles of wine with our Le Bistro or La Cuchina free meal in addition to the free bottle of champagne we get the first day.

Also, the wine selection by glass for the beverage package is very poor. The merlot is just ok and the cabernet, shiraz and malbec choices are not so good. I found the chardonnay to be good, but that is about it.

I will never pay for or accept the beverage package on another NCL cruise. We booked our Sun Alaska cruise early and NCL did not charge gratuities on the package. Our cruise was in September. However, my Son has gone on two NCL cruises after NCL changed the policy and had to pay the 18 % on the VALUE of the package, which is quite a lot.

DW and I are modest drinkers and normally spend about $500 total for both of us on alcohol for two weeks on a cruise. Also, we are platimum and get two free bottles of wine with our Le Bistro or La Cuchina free meal in addition to the free bottle of champagne we get the first day.

Also, the wine selection by glass for the beverage package is very poor. The merlot is just ok and the cabernet, shiraz and malbec choices are not so good. I found the chardonnay to be good, but that is about it.

If you would normally spend $500 on drinks then getting the UBP as a promo definitely works in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you would normally spend $500 on drinks then getting the UBP as a promo definitely works in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beverage package on NCL has a cost and according to NCL a value of $79 per day, per person.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

For a two week cruise that amounts to 79 X 28 = $2212, therefore the 18 % gratuity would amount to $ 396.16. That is almost what we spend on a cruise, and since we are platinum, we get two free bottles of wine for meals at a specialty restaurant as well as a bottle in our cabin the first day.

Paying for our own drinks allows us to enjoy our wine, rather than the poor choices NCL provides on the package.

Also, not taking the beverage package means we can choose the free gratuities for the cruise which would be a better benefit.

I don't know another cruise line that charges gratuities on beverages packages. Celebrity does not.

We still cruise NCL when the price and itinerary are right, but not for the beverage packages.

Just back from the Getaway this weekend. We had the package, and it was worth every penny. We tried many drinks that we wouldn't have risked spending money on. As for one card or two cards, it seemed like it all depended on the bartender. Most of the time they only asked for one card. Actually one time a bartender put a round of drinks, it was at least 6 drinks on our card by accident. We gave our card to the person that had ordered and received the drinks. We got our card back, the other person also had the UDP, so I guess it didn't matter. We where never charged.

Just got off the Breakaway. Had the UBP. It covered all drinks under $15. Any drink that cost more than $15, you would only pay the difference. So, if a drink was $18, you would only pay $3 plus the extra gratuity on the three dollars. I took pictures of almost all the menus on the ship if you want me to send them to you. Just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Breakaway. Had the UBP. It covered all drinks under $15. Any drink that cost more than $15, you would only pay the difference. So, if a drink was $18, you would only pay $3 plus the extra gratuity on the three dollars. I took pictures of almost all the menus on the ship if you want me to send them to you. Just let me know.

Can you post them?

• 3 months later...

This is our first cruise ever, going out on the Dawn April 21st. We got the UBC and the meal package as our free at sea. We have traveled extensively all over the world, and so this is a new experience. It looks like you can see the cost of things as you go along. We prepaid our gratuities and service charges. I appreciate all the info from everyone. I guess the thing to do is ask if something isn't included if you aren't sure. I will say that cruising is more complicated than I thought with all the hidden charges for different things. It sounds like the best thing to do is check your receipts at the end of the day every day to keep track your expenses. It also sounds like you can have a tropical drink or an apple martini as part of the package. Thanks everyone for your responses.

This is our first cruise ever, going out on the Dawn April 21st.

We got the UBC and the meal package as our free at sea.

We have traveled extensively all over the world, and so this is a new experience.

It looks like you can see the cost of things as you go along.

We prepaid our gratuities and service charges.

I appreciate all the info from everyone.

I guess the thing to do is ask if something isn't included if you aren't sure.

I will say that cruising is more complicated than I thought with all the hidden charges for different things.

It sounds like the best thing to do is check your receipts at the end of the day every day to keep track your expenses.

You can have a tropical drink or an apple martini as part of the package.

Once on the ship, forget about it (how much it cost).

I though I knew everything when I was 14.

Hi everyone! Do you know if the tasting glass of Veuve champagne for $9 that is on the Le Bistro menu is covered under the UBP? My guess is no, but can't hurt to ask, right? Thanks in advance!

It wasn't as of last summer. I remember them saying it's considered a special/promo so it's not included.

Do you know if the tasting glass of Veuve champagne for $9 that is on the Le Bistro menu is covered under the UBP? My guess is no, but can't hurt to ask, right?
I have never heard of it being included for anyone, ever since the UBP started. The server will probably warn you about that if you try to order it. If you still want champagne, ask how much the normal price is for a whole glass. It should be like $25, but with the $15 UBP discount, it will end up costing just a little more than the tasting glass.