Ultimate Beverage Package question

Junebug08

We did drink more than the cost of the UDP. You will also see some additional benefits, like not having to think about how much your bar tab will be at the end of the cruise and nothing to stop you from trying something new.

The UBP was very confusing for us. My husband and I both came to the conclusion on the ship that we were being charged the 18% gratuity since we saw it on our account, so we dialed back a bit. Didn't find out till after the cruise that all those charges were dropped.

If I had known that before hand, really would have drank much more, and experimented more. Though make sure not to get dehydrated from lack of water.. we both felt that after the first day. I don't feel too bad since we got it free from the promo, still got a decent amount of wine, beer and mixed drinks.

I've got a question. My wife and I both have the UBP. Can I order 2 drinks (one for each of us) without her present? Or does she have to order hers and I have to order mine?

Thanks!

It depends on the bartender. Very few will allow it, some want to see both cards if both people aren't there and most will just scan one card if both of us were present.

Is water included in the UBP? I thought not, which did not make sense to me, as water is cheaper than alcohol.

Could I have a bottle of water please?

Sorry, but it is not included under your UBP.

Fine, just give me an $11 cocktail instead.

Is water included in the UBP? I thought not, which did not make sense to me, as water is cheaper than alcohol.

Could I have a bottle of water please?

Sorry, but it is not included under your UBP.

Fine, just give me an $11 cocktail instead.

Bottled water is not included and neither is Lavazza coffee (no coffee per the barista)!

I found it ironic too..

Bottled water is not included and neither is Lavazza coffee (no coffee per the barista)!

I found it ironic too..

This will be my first time on NCL, so I am not familiar with Lavazza coffee. Are any specialty coffees, anywhere, included in the UBP?

Does everything have to go back to increased fees? Why don't we stop speculating and see how it all shakes out? SMH...I think I need a CCbreak, it's just not much fun anymore with all of the negativity and in some instances downright nastiness out there.

we're with you on that one.....shame some have to throw water every time someone asks a legitimate question. Thanks to those who provided the OP with their experiences and answered the question. We have the UBP on Escape in Dec so I was interested in the reply but it took a while of wading through the tripe to find an answer.

This will be my first time on NCL, so I am not familiar with Lavazza coffee. Are any specialty coffees, anywhere, included in the UBP?

Unfortunately I don't have the answer to that question. I didn't try any coffee based alcohol drinks either.

On the terms and conditions, it said "select Lavazza Coffee drinks" but on the ship I was told none of the coffee drinks from the coffee shop applied. (We only had one on the Jewel).

Just curious...when the charges "zero out", is it still listed on the account? What I mean is, at the end, when you get you whole account listing, are they all still on there just zeroed out? Trying to figure out if I could use it to decide on the next cruise i book if it's the best "choice" for us.

My husband saved all our receipts from the UBP. What can I say? We were curious. It was nothing for him to jam them into his pocket after we ordered. While poolside we designated a pocket for them Including at Great Stirrup Cay (Where the drink package followed us). I did lose two (that I know of) in the wind on one of our sea days...

Anyway, each evening I straightened them out and we brought the whole lot of receipts home with us. I tallied them up and it is very clear to say that package is so worth it to us! We aren't normally big drinkers. And have been on other cruises without the drink package. Never incurred a bar tab of more than $100. I never could justify the cost. Well, now I am here to say we may never sail again without it! It was a huge savings (And an included free perk) and for just the peace of mind I will probably always have it. Trying new drinks was also a lot of fun. I never once felt drunk and the lack of any hang over tells me I was somewhat responsible.

I hope you enjoy your vacation with no added worries of what all your fun will cost you.

It depends on the bartender. Very few will allow it, some want to see both cards if both people aren't there and most will just scan one card if both of us were present.

My husband and I each ordered two drinks (one for each of us) at a time on the Breakaway last month. I believe the first day or two the bartenders are "training" you on the rules to the UBP. Once they saw us around they knew we were together and one of us gophered for the other.

Once at Club H2O on a sea day, the bartender asked me to bring my husband's card "next time", as I was hanging in the hot tub without him and it may have appeared I was handing one off? Not positive, but on one of my many trips to the lady's loo, my husband asked me to get him a cocktail as the waiters seemed to be overlooking him. Ironic as he was always the quicker one to pull out his wallet to tip! I do think their computers are keeping track of each person's consumption. It would be difficult to get a drink to someone who doesn't have it I think...

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Does anybody know if it included Johnny Walker Black?

I am not positive if JWB was included. I am assuming if the boat has JWB is included. When I cruised (March 2015) I remember Tequilla including Patron, Bourbon including Knob Creek, and Scotch including Chivas Regal 12 was available.

Yes, that's included... Some of the higher end scotches that used to be included have gone up in price, but you can still find a decent selection among the included items...

Does anybody know if it included Johnny Walker Black?

Very quickly the bartender's got so accustomed to seeing my sister and myself together that they ceased to take both of our cards and we did not both have to even go to the bar. I would just walk up to the bartender and tell her I wanted a Mr. Worldwide and my sister wants a Bahama Mama and after a while she started making the drinks before I even open my mouth.

We don't even drink but we got it as the promo. We can just order virgin margarita right?

They charge gratuities on the promo package for those of us from the US. But even if I did not drink alcohol, I could get my money's worth just drinking virgin frozen drinks for a week. Even the Virgin drinks and smoothies are pretty pricey on the menu.

• 3 months later...

There are so many UBP threads I only searched a dozen for the answer (which I couldn't find). I saw this mentioned on some thread but lost it...so... it was mentioned that to cut down on the bar waiting plus number of drinks you should order a 'side shot' with your drink (on one card presumably). How does this work in practice? I assume it adds to the price in some way so that maybe you couldn't order a $14 drink and tack on a shot of whatever was in the drink and still not have to pay the overage. Thanks.