This Blows my mind!!

Solararc

Read the article in the link below, perhaps with this coming to light, Del Rio has to supplement his pockets in other ways!!

http://www.vesselfinder.com/news/3148-Mob-drugs-shipment-was-hidden-aboard-Costa-Concordia-on-her-final-voyage

*Living large one week at a time*

I actually read the same in a newspaper here in Norway.......

Not sure why this "blows your mind" other than the fact that it coincides with the Concordia sinking. Crew smuggling happens all the time, on hundreds of ships worldwide, in any port in the world. You could even make this into a "don't remove the DSC" thread, because the poor underpaid crew had to resort to smuggling. DEA dogs routinely search cruise ships in US ports, and frequently find contraband.

I'm sure drugs are transported in every conceivable transport device, world over. Cruise ships are not exempt. Five crew members of the Sun were arrested several weeks ago in Tampa for doing just that. I would assume that cartels have mules planted as employees in every transportation industry.

Not sure why this "blows your mind" other than the fact that it coincides with the Concordia sinking. Crew smuggling happens all the time, on hundreds of ships worldwide, in any port in the world. You could even make this into a "don't remove the DSC" thread, because the poor underpaid crew had to resort to smuggling. DEA dogs routinely search cruise ships in US ports, and frequently find contraband.

It's just a title so people would read it, I'm well aware of the dirty business as I work within the shipping industry, primarily ocean going vessels

It's just a title so people would read it, I'm well aware of the dirty business as I work within the shipping industry, primarily ocean going vessels

Ah, an example of tabloid journalism. This has surfaced on the Concordia thread over on the Costa board. I wondered whether the Mob was going to sue Costa or Schettino for the loss of their "product".

Happened in the US Navy too, although random strip searches when returning from shore, drug dogs and random urinalysis cut down on things a little.

Read the article in the link below, perhaps with this coming to light, Del Rio has to supplement his pockets in other ways!!

http://www.vesselfinder.com/news/3148-Mob-drugs-shipment-was-hidden-aboard-Costa-Concordia-on-her-final-voyage

I am willing to bet that the higher ups on the ship, and the cruise line had no idea about this. It was most likely mid level crew members simply picking up the drugs and hiding them on the boat. They are the ones who would know how to get away with something like this.

If a micro-minority of airline crews including help from ground personnel in the airports are doing it, not at all surprised that a few bad cruise ships members are doing the same.

Last Thursday, we saw 4 uniformed Bahamas law enforcement / military boarding the Breakaway mid-morning after we docked at the Nassau pier 3 hours earlier, to conduct a "friendly" orientation tour of the ship ?? It certainly was not for clearing the vessel or checking crew's travel documents, etc. - and, they stayed on deck 4 or below as we're just returning from a brief visit thru the Straw Market up the street on our back for lunch on the ship.

Last Thursday, we saw 4 uniformed Bahamas law enforcement / military boarding the Breakaway mid-morning after we docked at the Nassau pier 3 hours earlier, to conduct a "friendly" orientation tour of the ship ?? It certainly was not for clearing the vessel or checking crew's travel documents, etc. - and, they stayed on deck 4 or below as we're just returning from a brief visit thru the Straw Market up the street on our back for lunch on the ship.

The Bahamas has a kind of shake down thing going, where they routinely arrest passengers with drugs and have them pay from $300 to $500 or face a month in jail. They can board the ship with dogs, and I recall reading about that in the past, but couldn't find that article again. I did find this one: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/10/articles/drugs/the-predatory-sweet-spot-bahamian-tourism-police-arrest-us-cruise-tourist-for-pot-possession/

It's pretty lucrative.