cruising Alaska in May?

TowerOrchard

I am pricing out some cruises for 2016 and there are a couple that work with our schedule and budget for late May. I know that is very early in the season to cruise Alaska - are there problems with cruising at that time? Things we won't be able to do or see?

I will be leaving on the 7th of May for my 3rd cruise to Alaska. All have been in May. Other than the weather which could be very chilly, for me it is a great time to go. I do not feel that I have missed anything.

We went in May 2009 - the week leading up to Memorial Day. It's a crap-shoot any time up there weather wise. We got 65 and sun every day!

The captain even commented that it was the best week of weather he'd seen. We had a day in Seattle on our return and were able to sit and watch a Mariners game in T-shirts.

Bears are just waking up from hibernation and we managed to see a family of them in the Yukon, so no, there's no reason not to sail at that time.

I'm sailing in May on the 7th this year. I ran into issues with booking some shore excursions as some are not available until June but I also did get discounted fishing excursions due to the shoulder season and Halibut and salmon are not as plentiful so the boat owners are good about discounts if you ask. (I booked independently) So money wise it is a good time of year but some things can be limited so check into what you want to do when you get there. If you want a specific excursion, make sure it is available.

The weather is better in the early season and going into June than it is in the late (Aug-Sept) season so that is a plus. It may be cooler but rain may hold off and that is a plus.

Been to Alaska May June July and September. Wouldn't go again unless in May. I loved the weather in may. Still see snow on mountains. Makes it so pretty. September was rainy when I went. You won't regret it!

We sailed May of 2013 and had excellent weather. No rain the entire trip! That said, the people of Ketchikan told us we were lucky...

We did HAL's 14 day Alaska in May of 2010. We had 13 days of sunshine. The only rainy day was Ketchikan but it cleared for the afternoon.

Evidently Ketchikan is definitely one port where the odds are for rain.

May 7 for me as well this year! (several of us seem to have commented on this thread)

This is our 6th AK cruise and 3rd in May...so it works for me :)

Edited by mbisson

We sailed at the end of May in 2011, and will be again this year. Pricing works well for us. And while it may be a bit cooler, I don't care. It's ALASKA! Even more excited this year because we are ding a NB cruise, then staying a week on our own inland. DH will finally get to see Denali NP, and hopefully, Mt McKinley.

We've done Alaska in May and August. May scenery was much more dramatic. A bit rainy but as long as you dress warm and in layers no problem.

August we had incredible whale shows. They were everywhere and even saw a pod bubble feeding when entering glacier bay. The mountains and glaciers while still beautiful were less impressive without all the snow.

If given a choice I would pick May. You'll still see plenty of wildlife and can still also see whales, just not as crazy as we saw in August.

I sail Alaska every May, it's a great time to go, but my preference is always mid May and later.

You don't state what cruise?

There are selective details also depending on the itinerary. With the Sun, AND if you want to go to Denali, going north is superior at the end of May. IF the Jewel with Tracy Arm- the cruise ships rarely make the full transit in May, always- in my opinion- it is "necessary" to budget and purchase the add on ship shore excursion. Far superior compared to the cruise ship transit. Absolutely a must- if you want to see a glacier. Alternatively- at the last minute there can be a detour, which adds another issue in the mix.