Really? You are quitting cruising?

NH Cruisers

The stupid comic that was posted above just shows that posters lack of understanding the issue

It's not just about the fees it's about how Ncl has made many changes without warning

And obviously only old time cruisers will realize it....

Either via sites like cruise critic.... Research on the Ncl site itself... Or if not computer literate.... It will be realized when they board the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's good info, I didn't know you could do that. I was assuming they only take a single final payment, I didn't know you could pay bits and pieces here and there. That means I can use my bonuses to pay for ours and we won't even notice the payments.

King:

My sister sets up NCL as a "payee" on her online banking site. She is a self-employed nurse practitioner and her income can vary greatly month -to-month. She makes a small, weekly payment to NCL and then adds a bigger chunk when she has done a lot of shifts.

She doesn't have to touch her savings or use a credit card at final.

The know it alls will tell you" oh my GAWD- think of the interest you are losing....you could be making .03percent on your money..."

It works great, she paid off her ( our) upcoming Getaway cruise in the Haven without feeling any pinch- and her final payment, due the same day as ours, was $4.63!,

And the verbiage is now changed so they can add a fuel surcharge if they so wish.

That wording has been there for eons. It was not just added and every cruise line on which I have cruised includes it.

Don't make stuff up.

I will reiterate my original theory.....

Ncl doesn't want saavy longtime cruisers any longer....

They want newbie cruisers who wil be in awe of the experience and not realize how quickly all the onboard fees are adding up.... Because they just don't know any better

I always laugh when I see pax who do everything onboard because they think that is just the way it is....

From bingo to booking every port excursion thru the ship

They are who Ncl is courting now....

Those who don't understand cruising

Those of us that understand more than they want us to are now the enemy.....

People choose how to spend their money on the ship based on what works for them. Many veterans still book excursions thought the cruise line because it is convenient. My kids love to play Bingo, so we GASP!!!!! Purchase bingo cards.

I am sure that ALL cruise lines are courting newbies( such a snide term- you being the omniscient one and all!)

But they are certainly courting veterans as well. We have several more cruises booked now , in the Haven with the KSF, UBP,UDP, and gratuities. Cheaper than getting connecting mini- suites. But we have only been cruising 20 years- neophytes in your book?

Having cruised more than some does not elevate you to a special status - except in your own mind.

You must be a total joy to cruise with. Do you openly mock the other cruisers?

Your equating inexperience with lack of intelligence is quite telling of what a .....

Well, I'll use a sissasmommy -ism here. Nevermind .

Yikes.

It's not just about the fees it's about how Ncl has made many changes without warning

Either via sites like cruise critic.... Research on the Ncl site itself... Or if not computer literate.... It will be realized when they board the ship.

It has always been the case that you discover all sorts of things when you step on board, good and bad. Even old time cruisers notice changes from their previous cruises, again good and bad, and they always used to take it in stride as part of what makes each cruise a new experience. I'm not saying that people used to rejoice over price increases on board, but the first reaction was not to demand "Why didn't NCL inform us about this 4 months ago? We had a CONTRACT!" It is only recently that people have started to feel the need and to claim the right to know every detail of their upcoming cruise in advance. This is due to increased communication between passengers (e.g. via CC), not because communication from NCL has improved in any way. NCL has never systematically announced all price changes in advance, I don't know if any cruise line does this.

its so funny reading your comments about this fee- i bet you don't bitch half as much when the grocer raises the price of bread or milk- or hamburger

its a private for profit company- they have the right to raise prices change menus or what ever as they see fit.

its real simple if you dont like it cancel your sailing -yet i don't see very many of you doing that - just like you won't give up mike or bread'

too funny -

The stupid comic that was posted above just shows that posters lack of understanding the issue

I'm going to sound cold bloody nasty : It was their mistake and Stuart apologize for the miscommunication - WHAT THE HECK more do you want now that a apology was issue, its in the national & travel news (if you googled it) and the changes seem permanent? If you want to go there - Why didn't you "old time cruisers" do something about the a la carte pricing of yore in the "golden age" that current generation has to put up with now? You're just as fault along with the cruise lines for putting up and willing to pay for it - it was your 'old' generation that should had said 'NO' when it 1st started. But you didn't and here we are in 2015 with more fees on top fees - And now you want to be all upset?!?! Should you had been more upset 20 odd years ago and voting with your wallet saying "I'm not paying that!"; not now when the damage is all done....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm going to sound cold bloody nasty : It was their mistake and Stuart apologize for the miscommunication - WHAT THE HECK more do you want now that a apology was issue...

Since you ask, what I'd like is what I was promised when I booked and made final payment: free room service.

Since you ask, what I'd like is what I was promised when I booked and made final payment: free room service.

They promise free room and board - They didn't say nor promise the method of getting the board and your guaranteed a room but that does not include the room steward to clean it! Read the terms of contract is right there in plan writing for whole world to see. The cruise fare breakdown expands that even further....

Edit- Dunno how many different can explain what NCL is obliged to give - its either pay up or get it yourself! Before anyone what about handicap people - You do know that other passengers or the staff have no problems helping them, its call goodwill. People on vacation are usually kind-hearted and will gladly help a person in physical need -contrary to what NCL CC forums lead one to believe .

Edited by maywell

They promise free room and board - They didn't say nor promise the method of getting the board and your guaranteed a room but that does not include the room steward to clean it! Read the terms of contract is right there in plan writing for whole world to see. The cruise fare breakdown expands that even further....

You're absolutely right. They only promise what's in the Contract. So the "lever" available to me, and to all other passengers, is what the Contract provides, which is the ability to adjust the service charge at our discretion.

That's all I ever promised NCL, too. To hew to the letter of the Contract. And I intend to do so. What's good for the goose is always good for the gander.

From 1/2 the threads on here, you can get the impression that many folks want to to give up on cruises. I guess it is a sin for cruise companies to realize a profit or their workforce to get some sort of raise. All the new builds need to be paid for.

Unless you are camping or staying in budget hotels cruising is still a great deal. NCL gives options, you take 'em or leave 'em. I personally like the options, like all the different specialty resturants. HAL, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess do not offer the variety that NCL does. I have sailed all those lines and the product NCL offers I perfer over the others.

No I will not quit cruising my self. It is still one of the best vacation deals.

No, I won't stop cruising. These fees actually won't affect us very much. We've tried the specialty restaurants and are fairly unimpressed so we usually eat in the main dining room. We've been on about 12-13 cruises and have only ordered room service 4-5 times. The increase in DSC we can't get around but it's not really that much. The drinks going up and increased gratuity will have a small effect but certainly not worth giving up cruising over the change. The one thing that might make us change our cruising habits is the lack of low priced last minute cruises. We didn't cruise in February because of this. There was really no great deal out of NOLA or Houston. We are booked for a repo cruise in October so they'll get some money out of us on that two weeker[emoji6]

You're absolutely right. They only promise what's in the Contract. So the "lever" available to me, and to all other passengers, is what the Contract provides, which is the ability to adjust the service charge at our discretion.

That's all I ever promised NCL, too. To hew to the letter of the Contract. And I intend to do so. What's good for the goose is always good for the gander.

The only flaw is that doing that doesn't impact NCL at all. Yes, I know, in theory if enough people do it, but in the mean time it is the crew that is paying for it.

I'm going to sound cold bloody nasty : It was their mistake and Stuart apologize for the miscommunication - WHAT THE HECK more do you want now that a apology was issue, its in the national & travel news (if you googled it) and the changes seem permanent? If you want to go there - Why didn't you "old time cruisers" do something about the a la carte pricing of yore in the "golden age" that current generation has to put up with now? You're just as fault along with the cruise lines for putting up and willing to pay for it - it was your 'old' generation that should had said 'NO' when it 1st started. But you didn't and here we are in 2015 with more fees on top fees - And now you want to be all upset?!?! Should you had been more upset 20 odd years ago and voting with your wallet saying "I'm not paying that!"; not now when the damage is all done....

I'm not upset I'm just stating that Ncl really isn't Interested in retaining knowledgable cruisers and would prefer newbies who don't know the difference

Btw the fees make zero difference to me because I don't seek room service as a luxury nor do I use it

Also sorry to have upset you so

Also this old timer as you think I am is much you get than you seem to think

I guess I am just a well Informed businessperson who has been cruising since I was 18

But feel free to imagine whatever you want.

This.

The only flaw is that doing that doesn't impact NCL at all. Yes, I know, in theory if enough people do it, but in the mean time it is the crew that is paying for it.

But more importantly - THIS.

People choose how to spend their money on the ship based on what works for them. Many veterans still book excursions thought the cruise line because it is convenient. My kids love to play Bingo, so we GASP!!!!! Purchase bingo cards.

I am sure that ALL cruise lines are courting newbies( such a snide term- you being the omniscient one and all!)

But they are certainly courting veterans as well. We have several more cruises booked now , in the Haven with the KSF, UBP,UDP, and gratuities. Cheaper than getting connecting mini- suites. But we have only been cruising 20 years- neophytes in your book?

Having cruised more than some does not elevate you to a special status - except in your own mind.

You must be a total joy to cruise with. Do you openly mock the other cruisers?

Your equating inexperience with lack of intelligence is quite telling of what a .....

Well, I'll use a sissasmommy -ism here. Nevermind .

Yikes.

Really don't let me upset you so

Newbie is used here often

And not an insult. Btw

Also I guess my post had some merit to it to upset you so

its so funny reading your comments about this fee- i bet you don't bitch half as much when the grocer raises the price of bread or milk- or hamburger

You can bet your butt that if I purchased a loaf of bread from a grocer what was advertised for $3, and then after I paid the grocer told me that I had to pay a $2 "exiting the store convenience fee," and also told me that I could not return the bread and get my money back at that point, that I would raise holy hell. I don't understand what is so hard for people to understand this simple concept, and why it is so infuriating and wrong.

its real simple if you dont like it cancel your sailing -yet i don't see very many of you doing that - just like you won't give up mike or bread'

too funny -

Cancel my sailing? I'm past final payment date. I've been given no option to cancel my sailing.

You can bet your butt that if I purchased a loaf of bread from a grocer what was advertised for $3, and then after I paid the grocer told me that I had to pay a $2 "exiting the store convenience fee," and also told me that I could not return the bread and get my money back at that point, that I would raise holy hell. I don't understand what is so hard for people to understand this simple concept, and why it is so infuriating and wrong.

Cancel my sailing? I'm past final payment date. I've been given no option to cancel my sailing.

But this is not a very good analogy as all the new charges are optional, if you don't order room service and don't eat in the specialties you don't get charged, even the increase in the DSC was given an option to prepay and keep the same rate.

Now one could say , well I eat only in the specialty restaurants but that is still a choice, plenty of people don't.

I'm not upset I'm just stating that Ncl really isn't Interested in retaining knowledgable cruisers and would prefer newbies who don't know the difference

Btw the fees make zero difference to me because I don't seek room service as a luxury nor do I use it

Also sorry to have upset you so

Also this old timer as you think I am is much you get than you seem to think

I guess I am just a well Informed businessperson who has been cruising since I was 18

But feel free to imagine whatever you want.

It wasn't that I'm upset, its more like when one reads the old time cruising / "I've cruise for X number of years and we use to have ----" - its like, umm, so why didn't you guys united the 1st time around to stop all of this and stuck to it every time the cruise line pulled a stunt? Think about that now with the latest, it was years in the making from beginning with these extras / room service and now people want to be upset with raised torches / pitches? Should had done in 1990-2000's when it escalated more badly, not 2015 the aftermath of these added extra fees/ charges. Just saying...

What is infuriating and wrong is all these attempts at creating analogies that don't parallel the NCL situation at all. The grocery analogy would be something like this: For years and years this grocer offered a free lollipop with every purchase. One day you walk in and buy a loaf of bread and you reach for your lollipop and the grocer says "Oh, those cost a nickel now (or a dime :p). Do you still want one?" You leave the store with your bread and no lollipop and you immediately log on to Yelp to tell the world that you are never buying anything from that crook again.

Some of you will proberly be mad at me for writing this but ..... Idont get at all ?? So the price is up on roomservice charge ,right ?? Im a newbe ,we have only travelt with DCL, and ofcause we want to make sure if we will be leaving Escape with a big bill :confused:

We will be in haven and for what i understand,it doesnt count there,right?

I dont know if theres more then that but , im just a little confused(sorry)

And it is only a test on two ships and these folks are acting like it is the end of the world, when in fact they have no idea if it will be carried forward to the rest of the fleet....totally unbelievable.

After a disastrous cruise with Azamara where they actually left port with most of the toilets on the ship not working and heading into 10-25 foot seas, I will never cruise again. You are totally at their mercy once you get on that boat. And since you have to prepay you can not get a refund. The way we usually vacation is to go somewhere and rent a house or a flat, usually through VRBO.com. We have rented some amazing places for extremely reasonable. We rented a large flat in Rome by Spanish steps, one bedroom with terrace that overlooked St Peters, for $1500 for a week. Since there is a kitchen in these rentals you can control your food, eat out where you have determined would likely be good based on other reviews, not be held captive to a boats galley. You can plan your own outings, stay in if you want, and almost always when we've had a problem the agent or owners are extremely accommodating in helping to solve the problem. Not so on cruises.

But this is not a very good analogy as all the new charges are optional, if you don't order room service and don't eat in the specialties you don't get charged, even the increase in the DSC was given an option to prepay and keep the same rate.

Now one could say , well I eat only in the specialty restaurants but that is still a choice, plenty of people don't.

So, you're fine with NCL completely not giving what was advertised at the time that I made a purchase? Take that to it's logical conclusion, all NCL is required to provide is room and board, right? So you're ok with it if, past final payment date, and notwithstanding the fact that they advertise buffet and MDR being included at the time you pay, NCL starts charging for the Buffet and all MDR's and the only "included" food is a hamburger or hot dog for lunch, dry cereal for breakfast, and a hamburger or hot dog for dinner? NCL Advertised room service as complimentary and being part of the cruise fare that i paid for. They do not get to take away something that I have already paid for. That is bait and switch. The analogy is correct.

The real problem with NCL now is nobody can have any idea what they are paying for. NCL has shown that they believe they can change or take away any amenity they advertise, with no notice, even after final payment. You think my hot dog and hamburger thing is farfetched? Fine, but under your interpretation of how they are allowed to do business it would be within their rights to do. No thank you, I will not continue to book with a cruise line that feels that it can do business this way.

I'm an old time cruiser, with over 35 cruises, I understand what they did (and had every right to do it), and guess what I could care less nor do I think the majority of NCL cruises feel as upset as some on here. I think it is all about one's money, not the principal.

If one doesn't like it, they can always choose another line.