Really? You are quitting cruising?

NH Cruisers

It wasn't that I'm upset, its more like when one reads the old time cruising / "I've cruise for X number of years and we use to have ----" - its like, umm, so why didn't you guys united the 1st time around to stop all of this and stuck to it every time the cruise line pulled a stunt? Think about that now with the latest, it was years in the making from beginning with these extras / room service and now people want to be upset with raised torches / pitches? Should had done in 1990-2000's when it escalated more badly, not 2015 the aftermath of these added extra fees/ charges. Just saying...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

LOL "raised torches/pitches"? Nope. Just a short simple conversation with CS and we're all set. You are such a dramatist!

I understand that in the interim, until NCL gets the message, there will be some collateral damage. Heck, we're Americans, we deal out collateral damage around the globe on a daily basis. Somehow we all live with it, and even manage to sleep at night.

To misquote (badly!) the much younger John Kerry, how do you ask somebody to be the last person paying DSC?

What is infuriating and wrong is all these attempts at creating analogies that don't parallel the NCL situation at all. The grocery analogy would be something like this: For years and years this grocer offered a free lollipop with every purchase. One day you walk in and buy a loaf of bread and you reach for your lollipop and the grocer says "Oh, those cost a nickel now (or a dime :p). Do you still want one?" You leave the store with your bread and no lollipop and you immediately log on to Yelp to tell the world that you are never buying anything from that crook again.

No, that is still not what NCL has done and what all of you in the "its just another fee, deal with it" camp are missing. I'll try again and try to make this as simple as possible. NCL advertised a product. I paid for that product. After I paid for that product, NCL decided that they wanted more money from me for the product that I already paid for. I don't give a damn if NCL raises its fees, but it can't raise its fees on amenities that I have already paid for after I have paid for them!!! What is so difficult about this concept?

Using your grocer analogy, again, I walk into the store and the grocer still has a sign up that says "Free lollipop with bread purchase!" Then I pay the grocer, he gives me the bread, but says "just kidding, there's a $2 convenience fee for that lollipop." I say, that's not what I agreed to, i want my money back, and he says "nope, you've already paid." You're really going to tell me you're ok with that situation?

So, you're fine with NCL completely not giving what was advertised at the time that I made a purchase? Take that to it's logical conclusion, all NCL is required to provide is room and board, right? So you're ok with it if, past final payment date, and notwithstanding the fact that they advertise buffet and MDR being included at the time you pay, NCL starts charging for the Buffet and all MDR's and the only "included" food is a hamburger or hot dog for lunch, dry cereal for breakfast, and a hamburger or hot dog for dinner? NCL Advertised room service as complimentary and being part of the cruise fare that i paid for. They do not get to take away something that I have already paid for. That is bait and switch. The analogy is correct.

The real problem with NCL now is nobody can have any idea what they are paying for. NCL has shown that they believe they can change or take away any amenity they advertise, with no notice, even after final payment. You think my hot dog and hamburger thing is farfetched? Fine, but under your interpretation of how they are allowed to do business it would be within their rights to do. No thank you, I will not continue to book with a cruise line that feels that it can do business this way.

And room service is still free if you order the regular items, if you order the upgraded ones like eggs benedict or eggs cooked to order there is a charge, these things were not on the old menu. Order the old item and get it free.

But they are not charging for the buffet and main dining room, yes if that happened I and everyone else should be upset, it was free and then not, but it IS STILL FREE.

An GEEZ this is a trial on 2 ships, when it is installed fleet wide then flip out.

And room service is still free if you order the regular items, if you order the upgraded ones like eggs benedict or eggs cooked to order there is a charge, these things were not on the old menu. Order the old item and get it free.

No, it is not. This has been posted so many times and it is wrong. You're right that some clueless NCL reps have been telling this to people but they're stupid or they are lying. There are people, right now on the breakaway, who have posted the new menu and the dailies. They are charging for ALL room service, not just the new menu items. I understand that the original thread is now thousands of posts long, but buried in those posts is the proof that I am talking about.

But they are not charging for the buffet and main dining room, yes if that happened I and everyone else should be upset, it was free and then not, but it IS STILL FREE.

An GEEZ this is a trial on 2 ships, when it is installed fleet wide then flip out.

Okay, it's on the menu as free but every order comes with a delivery fee so in the end is it really free?

The only contract that was made is a contract of carriage. Have you ever looked at one??? It is *very* open ended, and states all they have to do is get you from A to B as long as they operate seaworthy vessels. It states onboard service is subject to change at any time. This is standard for any cruise line.

Verbal contracts are just as binding as written contracts, just harder to prove. The contract was entered into when the passenger accepted the offer and agreed to the terms by paying the deposit. The contract was not fulfilled until the cruise is over and the on board account is settled.

Nope. You're wrong. On the two ships EVERY room service order "attracts" a room service "convenience charge."

So now are you upset? Since it is NO LONGER FREE?

Then what are you complaining about then? It either affects you or it doesn't - can't get anymore simpler than that....:confused:

I am not complaining about the room service fee. I'm just commenting on it.

Nope. You're wrong. On the two ships EVERY room service order "attracts" a room service "convenience charge."

So now are you upset? Since it is NO LONGER FREE?

This is actually a problem at this point. It is so obvious that this false advertising is wrong that I think a lot of the people on this board taking the contrary position don't realize what NCL has done. This is largely because NCL customer service reps are still lying to people and telling them that the old menu items are still "free." I wonder if NCL actually cleared this up and told the truth about what they were doing how many people would still be cheerleading for them.

I even saw a recent facebook post on NCL's page where a cruiser complained that he would now have to pay $12.95 for a pizza. NCL responded that pizza is now "complimentary" to which that cruiser responded, oh, thats great, I don't mind that change at all. Now I'd bet anything that cruiser interpreted that comment to mean that pizza is now free, not that pizza is now $7.95 because there is a convenience fee on all orders. NCL is being intentionally obtuse with their wording and their customer service reps are lying or woefully misinformed. This is a huge problem.

Verbal contracts are just as binding as written contracts, just harder to prove. The contract was entered into when the passenger accepted the offer and agreed to the terms by paying the deposit. The contract was not fulfilled until the cruise is over and the on board account is settled.

Again, they contracted to provide board (food), they didn't promise the method of getting it.....and room service is one method, so is dining ay specialty restaurants / MDR, and walking plus getting it yourself at the buffet are the others.....

its so funny reading your comments about this fee- i bet you don't bitch half as much when the grocer raises the price of bread or milk- or hamburger

its a private for profit company- they have the right to raise prices change menus or what ever as they see fit.

its real simple if you dont like it cancel your sailing -yet i don't see very many of you doing that - just like you won't give up mike or bread'

too funny -

If the grocer raises the price before I take the item off the shelf, fine. If the grocer raises the price after I have taken the item off the shelf, I have forced the grocer to manually correct the price (which usually happens right after then take the old price sign off the shelf).

If the cruise line offers a cruise with a $3.95 room service charge between midnight and 5am and no fee between 5am and midnight, then that is fine. If the cruise line wants to add a fee between 5am and midnight, then they have to advise people of this before the person accepts the offer.

And it is only a test on two ships and these folks are acting like it is the end of the world, when in fact they have no idea if it will be carried forward to the rest of the fleet....totally unbelievable.

It is not the end of the world, but it makes it easier to see what the end of the world will look like. :)

After a disastrous cruise with Azamara where they actually left port with most of the toilets on the ship not working and heading into 10-25 foot seas, I will never cruise again. You are totally at their mercy once you get on that boat. And since you have to prepay you can not get a refund. The way we usually vacation is to go somewhere and rent a house or a flat, usually through VRBO.com. We have rented some amazing places for extremely reasonable. We rented a large flat in Rome by Spanish steps, one bedroom with terrace that overlooked St Peters, for $1500 for a week. Since there is a kitchen in these rentals you can control your food, eat out where you have determined would likely be good based on other reviews, not be held captive to a boats galley. You can plan your own outings, stay in if you want, and almost always when we've had a problem the agent or owners are extremely accommodating in helping to solve the problem. Not so on cruises.

How do you think the passengers and their loved ones feel about Germanwings and flying. The same is true for buses and trains. In fact, the same is true for all the passengers in the car.

Cruising is not for everyone one. Like all other vacations, it has its advantages and disadvantages.

Just like NCL is running a "test", the posters on Cruise Critic are also running a "test". Some want to see what the reaction will be if they support the fee, other want to see what the reaction will be if they don't support the fee.

Why is it okay for NCL to run a test, but in your opinion it is not okay for posters on CC to also run a test? :confused:

Again, they contracted to provide board (food), they didn't promise the method of getting it.....and room service is one method, so is dining ay specialty restaurants / MDR, and walking plus getting it yourself at the buffet are the others.....

A rose by another other name is still a rose.

A rose by another other name is still a rose.

Well the room service one is now an expensive black rose that you can completely not pay and get the frugal pink, red or whites which all you have to do is pick up aka buffet / MDR/ O'Sheenan's.

Well the room service one is now an expensive black rose that you can completely not pay and get the frugal pink, red or whites which all you have to do is pick up aka buffet / MDR/ O'Sheenan's.

As you already know from the other thread, I don't use room service.

Using your grocer analogy, again, I walk into the store and the grocer still has a sign up that says "Free lollipop with bread purchase!" Then I pay the grocer, he gives me the bread, but says "just kidding, there's a $2 convenience fee for that lollipop." I say, that's not what I agreed to, i want my money back, and he says "nope, you've already paid." You're really going to tell me you're ok with that situation?

That is a better analogy than your first attempt. But the sign in front actually says "Free with non-refundable bread purchase: chewing gum, candy bars, potato chips, breath mints, lollipops, beef jerky (offer subject to change)". You get to the front of the line and the grocer starts loading your bags with mints and potato chips and chocolate bars and chewing gum and then when you ask for a lollipop he says "oh, those are extra now, I haven't had a chance to update the sign". You're really going to tell me this is worth getting worked up over? Up to you.

Everyone is free to draw the line wherever they feel like it. I'm not telling you "its just another fee, deal with it". If you can't deal with it, I encourage you to take it up with NCL. I'm just saying that I don't think you will get anywhere with your claims of breech of contract, bait and switch, or other illegal behavior. But just because something is perfectly legal doesn't mean it can't tick you off. So if you want to be ticked off, have at it.

That is a better analogy than your first attempt. But the sign in front actually says "Free with non-refundable bread purchase: chewing gum, candy bars, potato chips, breath mints, lollipops, beef jerky (offer subject to change)". You get to the front of the line and the grocer starts loading your bags with mints and potato chips and chocolate bars and chewing gum and then when you ask for a lollipop he says "oh, those are extra now, I haven't had a chance to update the sign". You're really going to tell me this is worth getting worked up over? Up to you.

Everyone is free to draw the line wherever they feel like it. I'm not telling you "its just another fee, deal with it". If you can't deal with it, I encourage you to take it up with NCL. I'm just saying that I don't think you will get anywhere with your claims of breech of contract, bait and switch, or other illegal behavior. But just because something is perfectly legal doesn't mean it can't tick you off. So if you want to be ticked off, have at it.

DING! We have a winner!

Any smart business (which most are) would have had something similar to this on their sign: We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue this offer.

As you already know from the other thread, I don't use room service.

But yet, you're hung up with what NCL took away from you which was nothing basically since you say you don't use room service anyway.

Edited by maywell

From reading the threads from most of the major lines it looks like the whole industry is moving more and more to a pay for service model. If you want room service pay a fee. If you want a special dining room, pay for it etc. etc.. As long as I know what is included in the cruise fare and what are extra, I have no issue with the extra fees. That being said, we canceled a spring cruise and went to an all-inclusive resort instead because the AI was all-in much cheaper than a balcony cabin on the cruise and it was a very nice AI. It was the first time we had done an AI and quite frankly we'd do one again. For years cruising was a great travel option at a good price. Today, not so much.

But yet, you're hung up with what NCL took away from you which was nothing basically since you say you don't use room service anyway.

Don't know about anyone else (well, I do because I have seen several make similar comments) but what NCL took away from me was the sense that I am a valued customer (and even member of the family if you will) and replaced it with the feeling that I am just another sheep to be shorn. I haven't given up on NCL, I will still sail with them if the price is right (I just don't believe that in the future the price will be right, but we shall see).

That is a better analogy than your first attempt. But the sign in front actually says "Free with non-refundable bread purchase: chewing gum, candy bars, potato chips, breath mints, lollipops, beef jerky. You get to the front of the line and the grocer starts loading your bags with mints and potato chips and chocolate bars and chewing gum and then when you ask for a lollipop he says "oh, those are extra now, I haven't had a chance to update the sign". You're really going to tell me this is worth getting worked up over? Up to you.
And again, you're still missing the point. Still in your analogy I have the opportunity to tell the grocer "oh, they are, ok I don't want it anymore." I can't do that to NCL because they changed their terms AFTER I already paid them and AFTER final payment date. You can twist this however many ways you want, but no matter how you spin it, you don't get to take somebody's money for a service you advertise, remove the service, and keep their damned money!