FOOD - Live from the Mariner - April 2 - 20

I think that doing a blog with food featured is a BRAVE thing to do. My hat is off to TC for attempting to do something as intrepid as this blog. Food is a subjective thing. One person's thing is another one's bane. Some like sushi, others cringe. Some like rare meat, others turn their head away in horror. Coming from a restaurant backround, I think manners, civility and general decorum should be of primary importance. Yes, I know.....we've paid for X and want X, but in the grand scheme of things it's not such a big deal.

Let's face it, no one is going to stave. In this day and age there are more important issues at stake.

Our fish and chips lunch was very good but is, IMO, better in LV because you can pick your pieces of fish. The fries aren't truly English -- more like steak fries but they are fine

Our "fries" are called Chips here in The UK.

Our chips are thicker cut then fries.( French fries)

Thank you for the blog and photos.

We love shellfish,but the shellfish in Prime 7 was pre frozen ( and I know why) but it was served too cold ( watery)and therefore tasteless.We loved the steaks there but we felt the food,overall,was not good enough for us to return.

Is there a lack of vegetables served on your plates TC,or is that your choice?

I didn't think about it but there are few vegetables on the plate - you are definitely correct. In Prime 7 you can order some vegetables and can probably do the same in CR.

We have had watery shellfish on cruises and some that are delicious. The chef made a special dish yesterday for Easter that consisted of shrimp and scallops on a "risotto cake". It was extremely good - very flavorful! As you know, there is nothing that cruise ships can do in terms of having to freeze fish (except when they can get it fresh in port). We are getting some local fish -- some of it good and some we do not care for (it is the fish that we do not care for - not the preparation). A couple of pictures from last night will be sent to computerworks later. We're taking a boring excursion this morning (just to get off of the ship).

In terms of response from our poor P-7 meal, it seems that everyone is concerned. The chef came to our table last night, as did the F&B Director. Because I know that the G.M. reads CC whenever he can, I spoke with him so he would hear about it from me before he reads it. Reflecting back on the dinner, it would have been better if we sent back our meal and had them start again. This does not make up for the poor service but at least we would have had a good meal.

Food in CR remains good to excellent. Tonight is Signatures.

P.S. A comment about photography. Agree that the Kindle is not the best but it is the fastest and easiest way to get photos emailed almost immediately after taking them. Also, photos of the food on Oceania were taken with the same Kindle and there were many positive comments about the food and presentation. IMO, it is only fair to take Regent food with the same "camera" for comparison purposes.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC & Computerworks - Thanks very much to both of you for sending along the pics of your meals and drinks. Absolutely no apologies (for the photography or lighting) are necessary. You're not trying to produce a food magazine here, but are rather trying to show (in your own limited/valuable/expensive vacation time) an accurate and actual commentary of the food and service you're experiencing onboard Mariner. I thank you both for that and for the time you're both spending to bring this to us.

I must admit that I'm beginning to feel a bit like "Jed Clampett", as I read some of the comments. The reactions seem to be really negative regarding some of the meals (and presentations). Sheesh! It's just food, people! I don't mean to sound too "preachy", but with the millions of people around the world who are starving to death at the moment, should we really be "worrying" about the shape of a dinner plate or what particular utensils are being used to serve us a steak at the pool grill?

I'm really wondering if in some of the posters' normal everyday lives, if all their meals are really served in such presumed elegance and opulence? Don't they ever just eat a peanut butter sandwich on a paper plate? Maybe not. I certainly do! I'm thinking I must really be the "country bumpkin" and that many of my fellow Regent passengers must live "upstairs" in Downton Abbey.

At times, I have reported on being served some "less-than-great" meals onboard Regent. I've had a steak or two that was tough, I've had some veal that had just too much gristle in it. And I've been served some lobster that was downright rubbery, "dried-out", and which I thought should have been much better than it was. I have also reported in the past on what I thought to be some really slow service (in CR). But it certainly didn't ruin my entire day.

Despite those few "food failures", I've thought that most of the meals have been pretty darn good (at least for "this boy"). I just feel lucky that I've had enough success and good fortune in my life to be able to occasionally afford to eat "any meal" onboard Regent!

Perhaps my standards just aren't high enough! You know the saying, "If you set the bar low enough, you're never disappointed"! :p I will also admit (at the risk of causing shock and horror) to thinking that I've had some pretty good meals at Outback, Longhorn, and Texas Roadhouse (Some - as good or better than meals I've had onboard Regent)! I really don't care what the color (or shape) of the plate is that I eat my scrambled eggs on, and I find no inconvenience whatsoever to getting my own toast and juice at breakfast (in La Veranda). For me, I'm pretty content if the food is served hot, tastes good and fresh, and I don't have to wait for too long to get it. Gosh - I might even enjoy a meal on Princess! :eek:

Regards to all.

pingpong1: Loved your post. At the risk of grossing people out, my favorite at-home lunch is a peanut butter and tuna sandwich on toasted rye bread! You are right, most of the food, no matter how it photographs is really good. There was just a problem in P-7 -- not the end of the world and it hasn't ruined our cruise one bit.

I would like to share our excursion this morning as it was a bit unusual. First, I cannot remember how to spell where we are...... it sounds like Maciao. It is the first time Regent has been here and was a change to our original itinearary. Like Rio, this city has gorgeous beaches -- less people (1 million here vs. 3 million in Rio) and less graffiti. However, Maciao has the same number of murders as Rio -- despite its small size. It is really sad.

We booked a 3 hour scenic tour which is typically boring but this was all that we wanted to do today. The tour guide is a high school senior - a very intelligent and delightful young man. He was accompanied by someone that did not speak English but was there to help him describe the sites and history of the city that they are most proud of. Being young, he said what he thought (no real "filter" on his comments which was very refreshing). We learned that a former President of Brazil was from their state and was impeached. However, he went on to be the Mayor of their city and is now Senator. As he said "it makes no sense".

The educational system, according to the tour guide, is poor. Many people send their children to school only to receive money from the government. When you take a foreign language (like English), you are not required to speak one word -- only to learn the grammer rules. He feels this is "stupid".

After going to a handicraft area (where I was able to buy my DH a t-shirt with the little bit of money I had from our last Brazil trip -- this was almost a necessity as I neglected to pack a t-shirt for the gym), we toured the city in very heavy traffic. We stopped at at a cathedral for a while and was again stuck in traffic. About 5 minutes before we were due back to the ship, it was announced that we were stopping at a handicraft shop for 25 minutes. This upset everyone on the bus with the exception of one person. To make a long story short, we were taken back to the ship where we arrived on time. We were happy to get back -- particularly when we learned that the other buses - going to the same places -- did stop at the handcraft shop.

Lunch was good in LV -- I didn't have my Kindle but will take it to dinner in Signatures. Life onboard the Mariner is great!

...where I was able to buy my DH a t-shirt with the little bit of money I had from our last Brazil trip -- this was almost a necessity as I neglected to pack a t-shirt for the gym.

Oh, my! Just one? :p

My normal packing regiment is 3 t-shirts/tank tops per day (30 shirts for a 10-day, etc.) :cool:

TC & Computerworks - Thanks very much to both of you for sending along the pics of your meals and drinks. Absolutely no apologies (for the photography or lighting) are necessary. You're not trying to produce a food magazine here, but are rather trying to show (in your own limited/valuable/expensive vacation time) an accurate and actual commentary of the food and service you're experiencing onboard Mariner. I thank you both for that and for the time you're both spending to bring this to us.

I must admit that I'm beginning to feel a bit like "Jed Clampett", as I read some of the comments. The reactions seem to be really negative regarding some of the meals (and presentations). Sheesh! It's just food, people! I don't mean to sound too "preachy", but with the millions of people around the world who are starving to death at the moment, should we really be "worrying" about the shape of a dinner plate or what particular utensils are being used to serve us a steak at the pool grill?

I'm really wondering if in some of the posters' normal everyday lives, if all their meals are really served in such presumed elegance and opulence? Don't they ever just eat a peanut butter sandwich on a paper plate? Maybe not. I certainly do! I'm thinking I must really be the "country bumpkin" and that many of my fellow Regent passengers must live "upstairs" in Downton Abbey.

At times, I have reported on being served some "less-than-great" meals onboard Regent. I've had a steak or two that was tough, I've had some veal that had just too much gristle in it. And I've been served some lobster that was downright rubbery, "dried-out", and which I thought should have been much better than it was. I have also reported in the past on what I thought to be some really slow service (in CR). But it certainly didn't ruin my entire day.

Despite those few "food failures", I've thought that most of the meals have been pretty darn good (at least for "this boy"). I just feel lucky that I've had enough success and good fortune in my life to be able to occasionally afford to eat "any meal" onboard Regent!

Perhaps my standards just aren't high enough! You know the saying, "If you set the bar low enough, you're never disappointed"! :p I will also admit (at the risk of causing shock and horror) to thinking that I've had some pretty good meals at Outback, Longhorn, and Texas Roadhouse (Some - as good or better than meals I've had onboard Regent)! I really don't care what the color (or shape) of the plate is that I eat my scrambled eggs on, and I find no inconvenience whatsoever to getting my own toast and juice at breakfast (in La Veranda). For me, I'm pretty content if the food is served hot, tastes good and fresh, and I don't have to wait for too long to get it. Gosh - I might even enjoy a meal on Princess! :eek:

Regards to all.

HOLY COW! Someone who thinks like we do! That was a great email! Hope to meet you someday......keep up the good work!

Linda

Although ground level views of detail can be instructive, I enjoy higher views. From 30,000 feet up this is a wonderful cruise. Staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful, Brazil has been fascinating, food and drink have been excellent, and the Mariner is a very comfortable elegant ship without presuming to be ostentatious. I understand of the 700 current cruisers, over 500 are prior Regent cruisers and everyone is friendly and seems happy. What could be better than this?

Oh, my! Just one? :p

My normal packing regiment is 3 t-shirts/tank tops per day (30 shirts for a 10-day, etc.) :cool:

My DH used to wear lots of t-shirts... now he wears polos. One t-shirt is enough cause we get included laundry. Even with free laundry I tend to grossly over pack:p

Writing this from Mariner Lounge with my Kir Royale.

Thanks, computerworks! Will send email of desserts in the morning!

As I have said about Regent and Oceania in the past, it is like comparing apples and oranges. In the case of Signatures vs. Jacques, the menu items are different. They both have escargot on their menu and we prefer Oceania. We compare the mushroom soup to what Signatures had under Le Cordon Bleu (no comparison -- it is good now but was superior before). However, the rack of lamb (my dish) and halibut (DH's dish) were cooked to perfection. It could not have been better and is better than anything we had on Oceania. My DH disagrees a bit as his lamb loin at Jacques was perfection.

Have to get a seat at Willie Aames special show tonight. It is reported to be amazing. Tomorrow morning (early) is a 3 hour excursion that includes a catamaran. It should be interesting (and too hot once again). After that is three sea days.

Jackie -

am in a catch-up mode on your posts because (a) I have been very busy here on the Riviera with one thing and another and (b) Ron's great photos are hard to download at sea... I am not complaining because it is lovely to get the photos.

First I am glad you made it to Rio and to the Mariner!

Second - your description of the SS aft suite fit exactly with my feelings about it... poor design etc. We had one on our last TA crossing on the Mariner. I have a question - how is the decoration? It is "up to snuff" because our suite was really down at heels and needed re-upholstery, paint, new cabinets etc. The balcony/terrace was glorious!

Third - I think from my experience to date (April 1 to now) on Riviera that the food we have here is oodles better than what you are getting. (And I have never, not once, been known to ever try a peanut butter sandwich!).

Hope your cruise continues to go well. And will look forward to reading more from you (as I hope you will from me!)

Gerry

Ah, improvement!

Signatures food looks better and the presentation looks professional instead of just slapped on the plate. The lobster said and halibut both look pretty impresive.

As to the post re: why get excited, people are starving elsewhere etc? Well, the point is you are paying "top dollar" for high end quality and service and I, at least, expect value for money. The fact that people all over the world aren't eating sufficiently is a serious issue - but - irrelevant when debating the standards of food presentation and quality on a Regent cruise. In the grand scheme of things it may not be important but if you get 3rd rate goods for first rate prices you are entitled to ask questions imo.

For my part, I am slightly reassured but I'll certainly try to eat in Signatures on more than 1 occasion, if possible, if I am served some of the stuff we've seen pictured on this thread! That's it really.

Gerry,

We love our Seven Seas Aft suite. We are booked in this suite for our next two cruises. Every stick of furniture is new. The very large living room is great as is the balcony. The bathrooms and closet are small but that is a Mariner thing. Speaking of this ship, it won some award that the crew was celebrating. Will find out more about it.

Have to laugh about how differently we view food on the Riviera and Mariner. We truly do not like anything we have tried in the Terrace Cafe. Only dining venues we like on the Riviera is Jacques, Red Ginger (to a lesser degree) and Waves. After a disappointing meal in P-7, we are reluctantly going back tonight with the F & B Director, Donald. I have no doubt that the food will be perfection. However, it should be that way every night.

Leaving now for catamaran excursion. We leave Brazil at 2:00 pm and head across the Atlantic. Looking forward to cooler weather.

My DH used to wear lots of t-shirts... now he wears polos. One t-shirt is enough cause we get included laundry. Even with free laundry I tend to grossly over pack:p

Writing this from Mariner Lounge with my Kir Royale.

Just rub it in.....yeah, I'm drinking coffee I made myself from my little pot and there's no Kir Royale anywhere's near me. Well, have a couple of those for me. I know there's one out there with my name on it....you can drink mine! BTW, how's your knee doing? Food looking (and sounding) much better!

Just rub it in.....yeah, I'm drinking coffee I made myself from my little pot and there's no Kir Royale anywhere's near me. Well, have a couple of those for me. I know there's one out there with my name on it....you can drink mine! BTW, how's your knee doing? Food looking (and sounding) much better!

This why you HAVE TO book the cruise that we are booking tomorrow. Nothing like having a Kir Royale with friends sitting next to us.

Before resuming the discussion of food, I need to vent. There have been threads already about the lower prices on some itineraries for people in the U.K. That is hard enough to swallow...... now (and this has happened at least once before), they close down the Observation Lounge in order to have a party for passengers in the "Commonwealth" (on this cruise it means U.K., Canada, Australia as there is no one from other "commonwealth" countries. ) Can you imagine what would be said if a party were held for "U.S. citizens only"? Enough said!

Next rant is about passengers on this cruise. I believe that it has been posted that 500 out of 700 passengers are repeat passengers. What I do not understand is the rude behavior. While I typically am very quiet (you couldn't tell that from my posts), I had to say something when someone from the U.S. started yelling at a server for no good reason. I stopped in my tracks and told him that there was no reason to be rude and that the servers work very hard and should not be treated that way. I then reported it to the F&B Director who happened to be on the pool deck. This behavior is not only from U.S. passengers. We have had two incidents with people from Holland that displayed unkind behavior. This can happen with passengers from any country...... however, IMO, it should not happen.

Last night was Willie Ames (the C.D.) show. It was wonderful and we were happy that he was blind-sided last week by having to invent a show in three days because of the requirement for performers on ships in Brazil must have a work visa. He did a great job. Tomorrow (I think) Willie has created a crossing of the equator ceremony that has never been done on Regent before. Really looking forward to it.

When we go on tour, I do not take my Kindle and we go to lunch immediately after washing our hands. So, no lunch pictures. I had a wonderful lunch of broiled herb-crusted chicken. It was moist and very tasty. It was served with steak fries (which I still say is not what is served with fish and chips in England -- at least not in the pubs we have been in) and bacon-wrapped green beans. While I tried to avoid the ice cream and Kahlua, I failed.

Will report (and take photos) of tonight's return to P-7.

P.S. Linda -- my knee is working very hard and lets me know when it is too much. I am trying to sit as close to the front of the bus as possible without using the handicapped seats. Some of the stairs on buses are high difficult. You would be surprised at how many passengers on Regent have had this surgery (you can tell by the scars that I see when they wear shorts.)

Edited by Travelcat2