FOOD - Live from the Mariner - April 2 - 20

TC2 - be kind to your new knee! I overdid it 9 weeks after knee surgery and it wasn't total replacement. I paid for it for a number of weeks. My ortho said she knew that it felt so much better that I just over did it even after it "told me so" several times. You may already be doing this, but upon return or after exercise, ice and elevate and an ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory dose would help. (If you are allowed) Not trying to be a doctor, just passing on my experience.

Take care and thanks for your posts.

What a difference in P-7. cAPS lOCK oN, wish I had read your post before dinner although my Filet Mignon was delicious (as was my DH's sole and the F&B Director's seafood sampler). Sending photos to computerworks in a while. Everything was perfection - especially the company. There are some people that work on Regent that are like an extended family to us. F&B Director Donald is one of those people. While I certainly respect passengers that prefer to be by themselves or to mingle with other guests, for us, the crew is why we continue to sail on Regent. Such warm, lovely people that sacrifice so much in order to make their lives and that of their families better. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

The ship is now going full speed ahead towards Cape Verde -- calm seas and hopefully the weather will get a bit cooler.

Going to the suite to call my sister and daughter -- have to consider the 7 hour time difference. Then I'll send photos to computerworks.

Note to Gerry (not sure if she has the time to read this). I asked Franck about working on Oceania and he has never worked there. There was some issue about this so I went to him and got the answer out of the "horses mouth":-)

Edited by Travelcat2

findacruise: I neglected to thank you last night for your post regarding my knee. The reminder to take it easy was needed. Today we cancelled Alhambra as it is 9 hours of a lot of walking. Hopefully we will be back in Malaga next year on the Explorer and will once again have the opportunity to take that excursion.

janecambridge: Glad that you are enjoying the photos. "Kindle" has difficulty with low light but did well yesterday (especially with the salad:D)

Crew on the Mariner are very happy since learning that they won "Ship of the Year" on one of the "real" surveys (details on other thread).

Today is the ceremony for crossing the equator -- it should be fun. There are a couple of lectures and a wine tasting that will take place in the Mariner Lounge. We are looking forward to the activities.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC2 - If you feel up to it and it's available, a trip into the historic part of Malaga would be enjoyable. There are some nice streets to stroll through and places to sit, have a drink and some tapas. It was the first place we visited in Spain, and where I learned they charge for bread!

We also learned the small shops were all closed during our free time and to go to the big department store to use the toilet - it doesn't close during siesta. There was a beautiful fountain that was also turned off during siesta and my DH regretted not taking a picture earlier! Live and learn.

Glad you had a nice dinner in P7. Hope it continues for those diners who are on their own.

First of all, we are over the top excited that we booked the Explorer transatlantic itinerary (Rome to Miami in mid-November, 2016) today -- the day that bookings opened. While we planned to be on the maiden voyage, there were two things that made it impossible: 1) The price and; 2) we would rather be anywhere in the world than the Med. in July. The heat would be overwhelming for me.

Anyway, the prices drop mid-November and we are thrilled to do a transatlantic that ends in Miami so that we can enjoy some great Cuban food when we arrive:D

Regarding the Seven Seas Aft suite on the Mariner, as mentioned previously, the only odd thing is the area where you enter the master bath through the closet (small closet and master bath). The rest of the suite is amazing - very spacious with a balcony to die for (it has one of the double recliner chairs in addition to a table that seats 5 and 2 separate seats to relax in.) Everything in the Mariner suite is new. The only criticism I have is the lack of drawers.

Now I am trying to remember as much as I can about our tour of the galley today. We have done many galley tours (of all three ships). Chef Kelly does the best one. Kindly forgive me if my comments are all over the place. First, Brazil is one of the worst places in the world to get food. Chef was looking for fresh fruit and veggies. He found the best strawberries that he has seen in a while. BUT, they would not allow him to bring it onto the ship. The same problem for many other local items. Very frustrating for him and for passengers that will face 3 sea days without fresh food. The Mariner went through an inspection in Brazil that is more stringent that the inspections in the United States. This was amazing to us.

Meat for Regent ships comes from the Midwest of the United States where some of the best meat in the world comes from. Most of the fish is purchased throughout your cruise -- from different ports. They are defined as "destination dishes" on your menu. The rest of the fish is frozen. Chef Kelly said that many times passengers forget where we are in the world and expect fresh fish everywhere. The Chef is from Vancouver, Canada which is famous for salmon. So, passengers ask why there isn't fresh salmon on the ship -- even if you are in a place that doesn't have salmon in the waters.

The head sommelier knows within a couple of days of embarkation whether the passengers are into wine or spirits. On this cruise, it is wine. They will be pouring 750 bottles of wine per day. This was an amazing amount.

Chef Kelly has won numerous awards around the world and has worked in many top restaurants as well as on other luxury cruise ship. Regent is the best of the best. They spend twice the amount of $$$ as other ships he has worked on. Most importantly, THERE HAVE BEEN NO CUTS in food. The fact is that more money is now being spent on food. Regent serves about 3,000 meals per day (including for the crew). The soup is always 180 degrees and the meals are cooked to perfection. However, sometimes, when it is busy, the food sits at your waiters station too long and continues to cook under the cover...... or, if the cover is removed, the soup begins to cool. This is not due to shortage of staff but rather 300-400 passengers arriving in CR at the same time.

Some people try to compare Regent food to top restaurants in the U.S. He asks if these restaurants could cook 1,000 meals per night (just an example) using the best ingredients and have it come out perfect.

Some guests think that Regent does not have enough variety. Chef showed us two binders of recipes that are used to provide food for two days. In his opinion, based on when he is on vacation, after two days of eating, many passengers simply aren't hungry so the menu items do not look appetizing. A couple of days later they think about how much they are paying for the cruise and start gorging again. IMO, there are so many choices that there must be something that will meet everyone's expectations.

Edited by Travelcat2

P.S. I felt so good tonight when I learned that someone on CC read my recommendation about sitting in Zaldy's station in CR. They have been sitting there every night and are pleased (as is Zaldy). It is heartwarming to hear that a recommendation that I have made on Cruise Critic has worked out well. :D

Edited by Travelcat2

IMG_20150408_104527%20Large.jpg

Ron, Thank for the photos.

And, if I am seeing this correctly; Simplot "TRUE" canned mashed potatoes, instant flakes. Hard to believe they would serve these :confused:

Wow, who knew!!

j

Ingredients: POTATOES, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: WHEY, ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, SODIUM CASEINATE, CORN SYRUP, MONO- & DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CASEIN, ACETIC ACID, DATEM, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT, PALM KERNEL, AND/OR SOYBEAN), TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS (SODIUM METABISULFITE, BHT, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE).

Contains: Milk, Soy.

zgtf3.gif

What a difference in P-7. cAPS lOCK oN, wish I had read your post before dinner although my Filet Mignon was delicious (as was my DH's sole and the F&B Director's seafood sampler). Sending photos to computerworks in a while. Everything was perfection - especially the company. There are some people that work on Regent that are like an extended family to us. F&B Director Donald is one of those people. While I certainly respect passengers that prefer to be by themselves or to mingle with other guests, for us, the crew is why we continue to sail on Regent. Such warm, lovely people that sacrifice so much in order to make their lives and that of their families better. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

The ship is now going full speed ahead towards Cape Verde -- calm seas and hopefully the weather will get a bit cooler.

Going to the suite to call my sister and daughter -- have to consider the 7 hour time difference. Then I'll send photos to computerworks.

Note to Gerry (not sure if she has the time to read this). I asked Franck about working on Oceania and he has never worked there. There was some issue about this so I went to him and got the answer out of the "horses mouth":-)

TC, just curious...was your dinner in P7 with the F&B Director arranged bc you complained to him about your first visit to P7? Or was that reservation with the F&B a Director pre-arranged prior to boarding? I ask bc it would be a given that the food should have improved. I wouldn't think they would serve cold food to the F&B Director dining with a guest that had a prior bad experience in P7.

Ron, Thank for the photos.

And, if I am seeing this correctly; Simplot "TRUE" canned mashed potatoes, instant flakes. Hard to believe they would serve these :confused:

Wow, who knew!!

j

Ingredients: POTATOES, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: WHEY, ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, SODIUM CASEINATE, CORN SYRUP, MONO- & DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CASEIN, ACETIC ACID, DATEM, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT, PALM KERNEL, AND/OR SOYBEAN), TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS (SODIUM METABISULFITE, BHT, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE).

Contains: Milk, Soy.

zgtf3.gif

Yuck, that's awful!

TC, maybe you can ask someone if the mashed potatoes is made from real potatoes vs canned?

Edited by Sunprince

Think that I literally opened a can of worms on this thread when I innocently took the photo of the cans. I'll definitely check on the canned potato issue when I see the Executive Chef later (he is always around during meals checking to see how guests are enjoying the food).

In terms of our dinner in Prime 7 with the F&B Director, the simple answer is that the meal was arranged after our poor experience in P7. But there is more to the story. We met Donald (current F&B Director) on a previous cruise when we had a complaint about the bread, desserts and pastries (it did not taste like what we were used to on Regent - I believe that the Pastry Chef was from Oceania). We had dinner with him at that time and became close. So, we would have had dinner with him whether we had a problem in P-7 or not. He specifically wanted to go back to the same dining venue where the problem occurred. We met General Manager, Franck Galzy when he F&B Dir. on the Mariner several years ago in a similar way - having dinner after a less than satisfactory food experience on board. Since then we have become friends (Franck is friends with many Regent passengers as well as crew members -- we all love him).

Will get back online when I learn more about the canned potatoes.

First of all, we are over the top excited that we booked the Explorer transatlantic itinerary (Rome to Miami in mid-November, 2016) today -- the day that bookings opened. While we planned to be on the maiden voyage, there were two things that made it impossible: 1) The price and; 2) we would rather be anywhere in the world than the Med. in July. The heat would be overwhelming for me..

What has changed with Regent that caused a change in your humble opinions ? You posted recently:

"For various reasons, we are no longer posting "future cruises". I can say, however, that we would not book the Explorer Suite. Also, we are now realizing that some of our bookings have been based on "hype" rather than actual interest in the itinerary. As we continue to "grow up", our cruise bookings are not the same as they were a few years ago. Still love Regent. Still prefer it to Oceania but no longer want our personal vacation plans to be "public".

Jackie - I don't think it was I who said that Franck came to Regent from Oceania...I first met Franck on the Voyager in 2006 when he was F&B Manager and Louise Ross was a Social Hostess. We had dinner together. In 2006 Oceania had only just started... anyway it isn't important

Damien Lacroix is GM here on Riviera and he WAS on Regent - we sailed with him twice before. He is a delight and has kindly invited us for dinner tomorrow night so we'll have a chance to catch up which will be a pleasure and also to get his "take" on NCL etc etc.

Meantime continue to enjoy your cruise -- we are certainly enjoying ours!!

Gerry

Gerry, I heard from another Oceania G.M. (Thierry Tholon) that Damien is wonderful. Enjoy your dinner with him.

sonar: I always find it amazing when I am quoted on something I said a few months ago. In this case, we have not really changed our minds in terms of the Explorer. While the "hype" for the Explorer is understandable, it made no sense for us to book it. We did not like the itinerary and the prices were higher than we have ever seen. We still had an interest in the Explorer but wanted to wait until the "inaugural season" was over (it ends after the November 2nd itinerary). We are on a transatlantic now and will do a transatlantic on the Explorer. The right itinerary and the right price. When we do transatlantic cruises, we are able to book larger suites.

In terms of not posting our itineraries, as you know, I can post with or without my "signature" that includes past cruises. I no longer have future cruises as part of my signature. We had an unfortunate incident on our last Mariner cruise with someone that knew we were onboard and knew where we had pre-dinner cocktails. So, while I will make reference to our cruises, it is my goal to be less specific. If someone wants to memorize our cruises, they are welcome to do so.

I haven't met up with the chef or F&B Dir. so have yet to find an answer to the canned potatoes.

Edited by Travelcat2

Forgot to mention lunch (no photos -- can't take them at every meal:-) The turkey breast, etc. was wonderful. Also had some pasta (just couldn't resist). Really good. I managed to avoid deck 11 where the ice cream and Kahlua resides. Instead had a French Coffee.

I printed my Bar Menu and will update and post it eventually since there are changes. Also will take photos of one Tea Time. This is an area we avoid because it is too tempting:) Tonight I'm having my favorite entree -- Miso Glazed Sea Bass (will take a photo). The computer room has several people booking the transatlantic on the Explorer. Should be interesting to see how soon it books up.

Thank you for your posts from the Mariner. We love Chef Kelly. I think he's excellent and he always visits all the restaurants to make sure everyone's meal is satisfactory. We did a galley tour with him and it was delightful. I hope he'll be the chef next November during our Cape Town to Cape Town cruise.

I'm glad you found a cruise on Explorer you like. Like you, I thought the prices and the deposit was ridiculous so we booked the Med from Rome to Venice September 14. It'll give us a chance to go back to Rome for a few days pre-cruise and stay in Venice (our third time) post cruise. I also think Franck is a great GM. Enjoy the rest of the cruise. My husband is interested in the Amazon cruise.

Forevertravel

Voyager: Asia, Baltic, Med; Mariner: Med, Antiquity (Athens to Istanbul with Israel), Tahiti to Tahiti; Navigator: Alaska:)

A very common trick in the food service business when one is preparing a vast amount of, lets say homemade mashed potatoes, is to add a VERY small amount of instant mash before it is loaded into pastry bags to be piped onto plates. If customers would be just as happy with a not as pretty but very tasty spooned blob of mashies on their plates.....not artistically scrolled, this technique might not be used. There is nothing sneaky or gross about it. Could you check with the Chef Travelcat2 and ask if this is indeed the case? There are lots of tricks in the trade.

In terms of not posting our itineraries, as you know, I can post with or without my "signature" that includes past cruises. I no longer have future cruises as part of my signature. We had an unfortunate incident on our last Mariner cruise with someone that knew we were onboard and knew where we had pre-dinner cocktails. So, while I will make reference to our cruises, it is my goal to be less specific. If someone wants to memorize our cruises, they are welcome to do so.

TC, I do recall reading your posts where you mentioned the time and location that you and your DH have pre-dinner drinks. I won't ask about the "incident", but I guess there are some downsides to exposing your personal life on the Internet. Hopefully, you are enjoying your martini in the "x" lounge at "x" o'clock undisturbed on your current cruise.

TC, I do recall reading your posts where you mentioned the time and location that you and your DH have pre-dinner drinks. I won't ask about the "incident", but I guess there are some downsides to exposing your personal life on the Internet. Hopefully, you are enjoying your martini in the "x" lounge at "x" o'clock undisturbed on your current cruise.

fizzy: Thank you for your input regarding the canned potatoes. The chef and F&B Director are aware of my question but we were at a hosted table tonight so we did not learn their response.

Sunprice: Yes - we used to spend time in the Observation Lounge for an hour or so before dinner. this is no longer the case. We have spent time in all the lounges before dinner (one per night). And, on this cruise, the people on Roll Call are lovely and would not stalk us and/or take photos of us. Enough about that.

P.S. The Bar Menu has changed dramatically. I was given a copy this evening and will work on it with the goal of posting before we get home. Worst case scenario is that I will post after I get home.

Tonight we had dinner with Cruise Consultant, Bruce Van Rooyoen from South Africa. We had not met him previously -- this was one of the random selections for a hosted dinner. He is absolutely delightful (note: dinners with Cruise Consultants do not include any sales pitches).

Tonight was the Seven Seas Society reception (we did not attend). I did wear my Radisson harp pin to dinner. Tomorrow night is the Gold and above event. I failed to mention that "pins" (with magnetic backs) have been given to guests indicating their Seven Seas Society Status. We will wear our new pins tomorrow night.

Just sent a photo of our Miso Glazed Sea Bass to computerworks and will really try to start taking more photos. This is our favorite meal on the ship -- one that we will probably special order before the end of the cruise. Taking my Kindle to every meal became tedious so I backed off. Tomorrow is a sea day and then we will be in Cape Verde!

Edited by Travelcat2