Advice for Naples port with infant

naagnel55

We are doing a family trip aboard the Epic in August. Our daughter will be 1 year old. I'd love to do the Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii tour but I have heard it is very fast paced and long hot day since its in August. I was also looking at doing the Naples underground & pizza tour thats only about 4.5 hours as opposed to the former that is 9+. Has anyone done the Sorrento, Capri & Pompeii tour with children? Suggestions?

I havent (mine are all grown) but I wouldn't.

Pompeii in August is going to be brutal…… for an infant miserable.

The car ride can bother some adults (car sickness) but I would imagine a little one would fall sound asleep.

Capri requires a ferry ride - not sure how that would be for a 1 yr old…….

While I am all for taking the little ones…..perhaps a less strenuous day would be better this trip. And in August :eek: Ouch - its gonna be hot !

The tour would be miserable even in good weather, in the summer it will be unbearable.

I think you'd be better off picking one or two things you'd really like to do and do them on your own (we can help you figure out how). That way you have the flexibility to respond to your baby as the situation requires.

Thanks! I think we'll probably end up doing the short Naples tour that involves walking through Naples, Pizza and Secret Tunnels. That one is 4.5 hours and doesn't involve any drive or boat to get to so worst case we could always head back on our own if needed.

I dont think any of us realized how hot it was going to be when we booked, but with timing and schedules, August is all we could do. And we're from S. CA so we're used to the hot weather so hopefully we'll be fine :)

Thanks! I think we'll probably end up doing the short Naples tour that involves walking through Naples, Pizza and Secret Tunnels. That one is 4.5 hours and doesn't involve any drive or boat to get to so worst case we could always head back on our own if needed.

I dont think any of us realized how hot it was going to be when we booked, but with timing and schedules, August is all we could do. And we're from S. CA so we're used to the hot weather so hopefully we'll be fine :)

Unless you are from the IE your weather is cooler and far less humid. As the previous poster said, August in that area will be brutal. It was barely manageable when I was there in late May.

I think your tour choice is a good one. I would speak to the guide before the tour begins to see how they would prefer you exit the group if need be. There could be certain points where it isn't practical or allowed, and they could point those out in advance.

If it's the same Underground Naples tour I've taken, be aware that strollers probably cannot be used for the tour -- lots of small, winding tunnels with ups and downs.

You could do a private air-conditioned van tour to Positano and Sorrento. The beauty of the Almafi Coast highway is amazing. This is not an area best enjoyed indoors. When you see it you will want to explore the area. With an air-conditioned van, you can do that, even in the extreme August heat. Stop and take photos here and there - not everyone has to get out of the van at every stop. Buy some Italian pottery in Positano and Sorrento (don't take the pottery with you - they will mail it to you and you will get it in 4 to 6 weeks), have lunch at a nice restaurant or just get some gelato, then return to the ship. I think that would be the easiest tour to do with a toddler in tow.

http://www.astaritacarservice.com

http://www.sorrentocoastdrivers.com/shore-excursions/shore-excursion-in-sorrento-and-amalfi-coast.html

http://www.jackthedriver.com/services.asp