Just booked with Anniversary sale promo

DaveOKC

I agree with you, Lisa! I booked the 14 day Alaska (third time on this cruise!) July 27 sailing on Friday. My Ta asked HAL about the credit and was told it MUST be used for shore excursions and they can only be booked with this credit on board. I also asked about the dining credit, since we get a 50% Mariner discount. I was told the dining credit can't be used with the Mariner Discount. :( It must be used at the full price.

Karen

I think the dining credit is handled differently from the shore excursion one. The dining deal is actually prepaid reservation that is set up with assigned dining times by HAL, I assume even before you board (like they did with Explore4). The excursion one I received was included in with my other OBC in one number on my reservation (i.e. $100 stockholder credit and my future cruise booking ones ($400) was added to the $800 excursion one and now my reservation shows $1300 in total). I do not see how they will be able to separate that $1300 credit later on.

As Lisa mentioned, you often get different answers from different HAL people on the same question, so who knows what will really happen in the end???

Edited by DaveOKC

"As Lisa mentioned, you often get different answers from different HAL people on the same question, so who knows what will really happen in the end???"

I'm planning to travel with a copy of the email that my TA sent me that includes the HAL's rep stating that the "Shore Excursion Shipboard Credit with the Anniversary Sale can also be used as an onboard credit."

I've got a cruise booked and there should be some OBC with it....where do I look to see if it's there?

Thanks for the head's up on this promotion - I'll get my TA to check for me on the one that's already booked - it seems to be eligible and the price has not gone up so it might be worth it.....the only issue is that I got the signature beverage package with my original booking and I'm not sure that we'll give that up for the $400 and I'm pretty sure they won't give me both! :D But, it's worth asking.....

I certainly hope you can get both, but as with past promos, they usually want you to give up one to get the other. Please come back and let us know how you make out.

We are looking at the Veendam in August. I wondered if the Vista Suites were considered suites for the promotion or if it was only for Neptune Suites. Thanks!

Yes The Vista Suite gets the same promotion amenities as a Neptune :) As well as a Signature Class.

My TA also contacted HAL and was told that the credit will be listed as SBC, only to be used for shore ex. Hope those who experience this will report back!

Our T/A was told the same, Shore Ex. only, and only ones booked after we are on the ship. We passed, based on what she was told...

My TA was told I could use it as SBC because I've already paid for excursions...but I would have to pay the higher price for the cabin and forfeit other credits I got at time of booking. It's amazing how many answers people are receiving for the same question. I think we are going to pass on this deal.

My TA was told I could use it as SBC because I've already paid for excursions...but I would have to pay the higher price for the cabin and forfeit other credits I got at time of booking. It's amazing how many answers people are receiving for the same question. I think we are going to pass on this deal.

No surprised that HAL has multiple different answers for the same question. In this particular case, I would do the same as you, to be on the safe side.;)

Spoke with our HAL PCC and good friend today to inquire about the Anniversary OBC. We learned that there is an issue with loading this special into the ship's computers and no way to mark it as other than normal OBC.

Unfortunately, our price for the Eurodam in November has gone up $500 p/p so not worth rebooking yet to take advantage of the OBC.

She said that another Expore4 promotion is being discussed for August.

Edited by Crew News

I re-booked our cruise to include the Anniversary pkg. Like others I was told it is OBC, we will be onboard for 21 days so whichever way the winds blows it will still work in our favor.

We did have the explore 4 pkg. on previous cruise which among other perks included dinner at PG. It had been stated that HAL would book that reservation which they did (not a day I would have picked), as I wanted to make other reservations at the PG I went there directly and was able to change that night with no problems.

I remember when that Explore 4 pkg. was presented...lots of chatter about it and we had to wait it out to see how worked out. We personally loved it. Again, we will have to wait and see....

Spoke with our HAL PCC and good friend today to inquire about the Anniversary OBC. We learned that there is an issue with loading this special into the ship's computers and no way to mark it as other than normal OBC.

Unfortunately, our price for the Eurodam in November has gone up $500 p/p so not worth rebooking yet to take advantage of the OBC.

She said that another Expore4 promotion is being discussed for August.

Just to clarify, the next promotion will be Explore 4 in August? Will you post any additional information you have, e.g., for all itineraries, for new bookings only, etc?

Yes The Vista Suite gets the same promotion amenities as a Neptune :) As well as a Signature Class.

Really appreciate that you provide information because you are one source I know is knowledgeable and experienced. Thank you.

Just to clarify, the next promotion will be Explore 4 in August? Will you post any additional information you have, e.g., for all itineraries, for new bookings only, etc?

We will be having dinner with our HAL PCC May 23d in Seattle and will be peppering her with accumulated questions.

is the sale only good for much future cruises? I was looking at using the promo for something next month but I couldn't find it.

I do not think it applies to near future cruises. Only way to tell is look on the website under Anniversary sale.

i was able to take advantage of the anniversary special. I had to re book and the price was $100 more than when I first booked it but it was still a net gain for me not including the dining credit. My TA asked HAL if the credit was for excursions only and was told it would show up as OBC and could be used any way I wished. If it turns out it is for excursions only when I board then I'll find an excursion to book.

Just booked a cruise with the $400 per person Shore Excursion credit. Here is a quote from my TA's invoice:

"Anniversary Sale Shore Excursion Credit Offer Details: Shore excursion credit for suites on cruises 11+ days in length is US$400 per person (US$800 per stateroom). Credit cannot be used to purchase or reserve shore excursions in advance (must be done onboard.) You must book at least one shore excursion the remainder of the funds may be used toward any onboard purchase. Unused credits are non-transferable and non-refundable."

So you must reserve at least one shore excursion after you board but the remainder may be used as regular OBC.

Dan

Just booked a cruise with the $400 per person Shore Excursion credit. Here is a quote from my TA's invoice:

"Anniversary Sale Shore Excursion Credit Offer Details: Shore excursion credit for suites on cruises 11+ days in length is US$400 per person (US$800 per stateroom). Credit cannot be used to purchase or reserve shore excursions in advance (must be done onboard.) You must book at least one shore excursion the remainder of the funds may be used toward any onboard purchase. Unused credits are non-transferable and non-refundable."

So you must reserve at least one shore excursion after you board but the remainder may be used as regular OBC.

Dan

Interesting! I was going to use most of mine on excursions anyway, but I like this concept better. My HAL PCC told me that it can all be used for anything onboard, but you never know what the final deal is until you experience it. I think HAL figured out that while this was a good plan (boosting highly profitable excursion sales), getting the HAL onboard systems to monitor it would be very difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had quite a long conversation with HAL (UK) regarding a potential booking. She mentioned the Shore Excursion $200 PP and then, without any prompting, went on to say the offer was in fact OBC and could be used for any purchase on board but cannot be used towards gratuities.

Its just reading some of the posts makes one doubtful but who knows

I just booked the 14 day South America cruise thru HAL consultant and the $400 is indeed OBC and can be used any way you want.

I told him people on CC were getting conflicting answers and so he double checked and said its OBC and can be used as you choose

Hope this helps.

Sarha, thanks for letting us know. When we booked, the agents at HAL weren't sure how this was going to work.

I don't think they have a good system to break out the different credits, so it is all lumped together.