Sorry, but a drink package query.

We will be on the Allure.I am a drinker ,but paying up front for drinks I may or may not have does not sit well with me.What are the advantages of buying a drink package other than paying up front?:cool:

You can drink and unlimited number of them.. Can't drink all day unless you start in the morning...

The advantages are probably what you've already considered: you are not limited to the number of drinks you can have and you can pay for the package well ahead of your cruise and have that expense taken care of before you board the ship. RCI has recently raised their drink prices (as well as the standard gratuity) so some people are edging more toward the packages versus buying drinks individually (of course others are using the price increase as a reason to drink less!). The disadvantage is that if you don't drink enough to at least break even, you will be wasting money by getting the package.

Edited by joepeka

Advantage: Fixed cost no matter how much you drink.

Disadvantage: Fixed cost no matter how little you drink.

Breakeven point is probably somewhere around 9 beers or 6-7 glasses of wine, or 5-6 cocktails per day, each day, including port days.

Others have covered pretty much the pros/cons. It is really up to you to decide whether it will be worth it to you based upon current drink prices.

A package does not make sense for either my husband or I in terms of us being able to come out close to even. Each of us will likely have 2 drinks a day. I really liked the idea of having things prepaid, which was a big appeal of the drink package.

I budgeted the cost of 3 drinks a day per person and had this amount added to our on board account as credit. This way most if not all of our drinks are prepaid, but if we end up not using up the credit on drinks or shopping it will be refunded to our credit card. The amount that I added to our account was roughly the cost of one drink package.

Also not everyone in a stateroom must have a drink package, its possible for a husband to buy the package and the wife if shes a much lighter drinker to pay as you go.( of course it still gets charged to the seapass)

We will be on the Allure.I am a drinker ,but paying up front for drinks I may or may not have does not sit well with me.What are the advantages of buying a drink package other than paying up front?:cool:

Where does it say you have to pay upfront?

Pretty sure it is optional.

You have these options:

1 - Buy package in advance.

2 - Buy package once you board.

3 - Buy each drink when you need it.