Princess Visa card - notified my wife that I applied?

mysaddlebred000

Last week I read another thread about the Princess Visa card and thought I would check it out. It sounded like something I would be interested in and the benefits were better than the Visa we have so I applied. I also have been thinking for some time about switching. Didn't take more than a minute and I was approved.

I received an email yesterday saying my new card was in the mail so today a letter came from card services and I opened it thinking it was my new card. But to my surprise, I discovered it was addressed to the spouse of _________ (me).

It stated: in accordance with (my state's) law, we are notifying you that your spouse has applied for and will be receiving an unsecured PCL Visa issued by Barclays Bank Delaware.

Is there some law that you can't apply for a credit card without your spouse knowing?

Also, what does "unsecured" mean?

I have no experience with cards since our current AMEX, Mastercard and Visa cards are through our brokerage firm and they applied and got them for us.

I really can't remember if I asked for a card for my wife or not. And, no, I did not tell her about it. We have been so busy getting taxes together and getting ready for our next cruise that it really slipped my mind. I really had no intentions of applying that day - it just happened. And she will be fine with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out

Secured credit cards are usually for those with bad credit scores. Often, the person who wants the credit card deposits an amount ($500) with the credit card and then they are given a $500 or $600 credit limit. It is used by people who want to improve their credit rating and can't get a credit card otherwise.

So, unsecured credit cards are what most think of credit cards. You don't have to put up any money up front to receive it.

As far as notifying your spouse -- Technically, in some states, any debt incurred during the marriage is often considered debt for both spouses, not just the one who has the credit card.

Edited by Coral

I cannot comment on Delaware law, but unsecured means there is no security behind the debt, as opposed to a mortgage or car loan.

In other words, if you default, there is no property the bank can repossess to cover the debt.

Edited by Talisker92

Last week I read another thread about the Princess Visa card and thought I would check it out. It sounded like something I would be interested in and the benefits were better than the Visa we have so I applied. I also have been thinking for some time about switching. Didn't take more than a minute and I was approved.

I received an email yesterday saying my new card was in the mail so today a letter came from card services and I opened it thinking it was my new card. But to my surprise, I discovered it was addressed to the spouse of _________ (me).

It stated: in accordance with (my state's) law, we are notifying you that your spouse has applied for and will be receiving an unsecured PCL Visa issued by Barclays Bank Delaware.

Is there some law that you can't apply for a credit card without your spouse knowing?

Also, what does "unsecured" mean?

I have no experience with cards since our current AMEX, Mastercard and Visa cards are through our brokerage firm and they applied and got them for us.

I really can't remember if I asked for a card for my wife or not. And, no, I did not tell her about it. We have been so busy getting taxes together and getting ready for our next cruise that it really slipped my mind. I really had no intentions of applying that day - it just happened. And she will be fine with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out

We finally closed our Barclays Princess card a couple of years ago.

Terrible customer service. I am surprised that they opened up an account for your wife like that. Not a good way to do business. imo. :(

I would guess that you live in one of the 10 community property states:

Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin.

In those states any debt that accrued during the marriage can be considered community property and the spouse can be held liable. In one of those states it makes sense that state law would require notification of the spouse, even if only one applied.

Edited by RDC1

We finally closed our Barclays Princess card a couple of years ago.

Terrible customer service. I am surprised that they opened up an account for your wife like that. Not a good way to do business. imo. :(

They were not opening an account for his wife, they were notifying his wife that he had opened the account.

Has never happened to us, so we must not have ever lived in the state you live in.

I would guess that you live in one of the 10 community property states:

Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin.

In those states any debt that accrued during the marriage can be considered community property and the spouse can be held liable. In one of those states it makes sense that state law would require notification of the spouse, even if only one applied.

I live in a different state than listed above but it seems to be the same practice where I live.

Wow, as usual, cc comes through. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me understand this.

Yes, we do live in one of those community property states. Never have really thought about that - 45 years married and have never wanted to end it.

Thanks again

Wow, as usual, cc comes through. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me understand this.

Yes, we do live in one of those community property states. Never have really thought about that - 45 years married and have never wanted to end it.

Thanks again

Wonderful! 45 years of marriage. Congrats! As you can see, in community property states your spouse knows what debts you incur as she is liable as well.

Enjoy the Princess card. As long as you can pay off the bill each month, charge everything you must buy to it and rack up the points. We put all of our monthly bills such as electricity on automatic payment by our card. When we get enough points, we redeem them for a cruise discount which is really just a credit on your next monthly credit card bill.

You get more bang for you points if you wait until you have a large amount of them------10,000 points will only get you a $100 credit, (100 points/$ of credit received), while 40,000 points will get you a $500 credit, (80 points/$ of credit received). If you are really patient and spend a lot of money, wait until you accrue 300,000 points before redeeming and you can get the ratio down to 40 points per dollar of credit received.

Thanks nukesubsailor. I wanted it because of the OBC's but I did not know I should wait to redeem them. good suggestion. thanks

MichelleinOc, thanks

Oh, I have another questions. I also have the AMEX platinum card and use that to pay for the cruises because of the perks. They just dropped some so I am not real pleased with them. I am also finding many places do not take the card because of the high fee they charge. Here is my thought but not sure if it will work. Can I charge my cruise to the AMEX card and get their perks and then charge my wife's on the Princess card? You only get he AMEX perks per cabin, not for each person.

That will work just fine if Amex will deign to phone in a Visa card to Princess - split-payment bookings are quite common. I would also put both of your onboard spend on the card, as both bookings and onboard charges earn double rewards.

Edited by VibeGuy

As for the up-thread comment about customer service: I consult on high-complexity payment card processing for multinational firms. My mom was one of the developers of a major bank's ATM networks. I am the ultimate "tough customer" for payment cards. I also have a pretty strong bias against commercial banks for most consumers, even those with very high net worths.

I carry the Princess Barclaycard because I think the service is exceptionally good. It's quite literally remarkable service, in that I am remarking about it. I think it's actually better than American Express Platinum charge, without a $400 annual fee. It is not the best rewards card on the planet (low earn power at 1%, no bonus categories) but I've been universally pleased when I've interacted with them.

... I also have a pretty strong bias against commercial banks for most consumers,..
Why? Fees? Customer service? Any alternative you'd suggest? Credit Union?

Getting back to the Princess card, we looked at it and decided it wasn't the best for us. We're not committed to Princess - we pick by itinerary, so we don't know what cruise line our next trip is going to be on until we book. A better choice for us is a card that gives cash back we can use to buy OBC on any cruise line. Any thoughts on the Barclaycard Arrival+?

Edited by CantanaLobo

If bank holding company stocks are going to churn out returns attractive to Wall Street, they're going to do so on the backs of consumers. I'm a big fan of community financial services - don't care if it's a credit union, mutual savings bank, "B Corp" or a community/regional bank - anyplace with strong Bauer ratings and happy customers.

Barclaycard's US presence came from buying Juniper, which was run by some really smart people I respect, and even though Barclays is huge and probably does some things I wouldn't love in other markets, their US presence is a bunch of well-run card portfolios with good customer service. I'm a big fan of Ring and Arrival+ for customers who carry a balance (Ring) or spend heavily on their cards (Arrival+).

We live in California, a community property state, and have never been notified when a spouse opened a credit card account. In fact, I just opened a Hyatt Visa in my name only last month and no notification to DH.:confused:

We live in California, a community property state, and have never been notified when a spouse opened a credit card account. In fact, I just opened a Hyatt Visa in my name only last month and no notification to DH.:confused:

DH can read about it here.

"Is there some law that you can't apply for a credit card without your spouse knowing?"

Why would a husband or wife wish to open any kind of bank account without the spouse's knowledge ?

That suggests something to hide does it not ?

Perhaps they want to book a cruise as a surprise for their spouse.

Or, perhaps they want to book a surprise cruise for their bf/gf.

Could go either way...

"Is there some law that you can't apply for a credit card without your spouse knowing?"

Why would a husband or wife wish to open any kind of bank account without the spouse's knowledge ?

That suggests something to hide does it not ?

I really had no plans to apply - I just was checking it out and something popped up regarding applying. I thought the process would take a while but as I said, was surprised that I was approved in one minute. I really don't remember anything about adding a second card for spouse. This was late one night and my wife had already gone to bed. My wife has been so busy getting ready for a cruise and running around like a chicken trying to get everything done at home and so have I so I completely forgot about the card. Since we cruise Princess so much, figured the card was a good match and when I showed her the letter, she just laughed and asked if there was an annual fee. We don't hide anything from each other - maybe that happens in bad marriages but no issues here.

Maybe some spouses shouldn't open an account without telling the other but we take advantage of a good deal when we have a chance.