Discount question

carlo7

We have not done a river cruise but think it is a good idea now that we have done 4 ocean cruises and are looking forward to a smaller ship experience with fewer people. We receive 4 to 5 Viking brochures each week. The "Elegant Elbe" cruise in a Veranda A cabin ((ASTRILD and BEYLA) is very appealing. The brochure we received yesterday had the July & August 2016 sailings listed at $5,599pp for a Veranda A cabin and no listed cost for west coast airfare (although airfare from the East Coast is listed at $1,295 pp).

The brochure we received today lists the same cruise for July and August 2015 at $3,999 for the same cabin and FREE airfare from here in Seattle. My question concerns whether this is something others who have cruised with Viking have seen in the past ? My thinking about the "Elegant Elbe" cruise is that as a new itinerary perhaps they are willing to accept less to fill a ship that is now less booked that they want. This may not apply next year.

Any thoughts?

We have not done a river cruise but think it is a good idea now that we have done 4 ocean cruises and are looking forward to a smaller ship experience with fewer people. We receive 4 to 5 Viking brochures each week. The "Elegant Elbe" cruise in a Veranda A cabin ((ASTRILD and BEYLA) is very appealing. The brochure we received yesterday had the July & August 2016 sailings listed at $5,599pp for a Veranda A cabin and no listed cost for west coast airfare (although airfare from the East Coast is listed at $1,295 pp).

The brochure we received today lists the same cruise for July and August 2015 at $3,999 for the same cabin and FREE airfare from here in Seattle. My question concerns whether this is something others who have cruised with Viking have seen in the past ? My thinking about the "Elegant Elbe" cruise is that as a new itinerary perhaps they are willing to accept less to fill a ship that is now less booked that they want. This may not apply next year.

Any thoughts?

I looked on the Viking website and it shows $5,599 pp for a Veranda A category for July and August 2015, so I am surprised the brochure you received in the mail is showing $3,999 with air fare included. If that is correct it seems like a great deal. I did look through some of the brochures I have at home (we get them all the time too) and for both 2015 and 2016 it is showing $5,599 for the Veranda A category on the NEW Viking Astrild or Viking Beyla. There are other ships that do this itinerary but they are older ships and have no veranda cabins. Those are the Fontane and Schumann. Air is listed separately for both 2015 and 2016. I don't see where it is "included".

There are also travel agencies who provide further discounts on river cruises.

I'm getting lots of Viking emails with sale prices and free or reduced airfares, although I don't recall this particular cruise mentioned.

One thing I've noticed with Viking is that they often only have aquarium class cabins left on the cruises they're discounting. If you're interested in one of the trips for this year, I'd check out the website and see if they actually have availability in those categories.

We are doing the Elbe this year on the Fontane. This year they have both older boats - as well as 2 new Longships. So - I think they have a situation of over-supply - hence the "sale".

We booked before the new Longships were confirmed. When the new boats came out - we debated on having our reservation transferred - but it would have been an extra $500+ pp for an Aquarium class cabin. Now, the cost difference (at least on the website) is about $100.

I am guessing that this may be a "true" sale... and, if time allows you to book for this year - it might be worth it.

Fran

I really appreciate your responses. While looking for Viking discounts yesterday I found a site called Avoya that listed the steep discount but only for Jul and Aug too. I like to make reservations when we decide what we want but this year that strategy may not apply. I received a letter from Tauck (we took a tour with them in '13) 3 weeks ago that stated they were continuing a special that offered Premium Economy air for $1,690pp from anywhere in the US to any tour in Europe. We reserved a tour in Aug because this deal is too good to ignore. Hopefully Viking will need to fill a few more cabins next year for the Elegant Elbe and we can jump on it.

Once again thanks for your help.

a special that offered Premium Economy air for $1,690pp from anywhere in the US to any tour in Europe.

That's not a special price. We have always been able to find premium economy (Air France or Virgin Atlantic via London or Paris to destinations within Europe) for $1500-1700. Before you go thinking that's a great price, make sure to do a price check on your own.....It's one thing if you want them to book everything for you - but don't think it's airfare at a great discount:p

Edited by Hoyaheel