Gem - would you consider this an upgrade

bskmom

Booked obstructed ocean view (OK) which is mid ship deck 8 for myself and two of my kids. Went to check-in and see we have been put in cabin 5000 (OG) which is next to theater. Called PCC seems like we got an upgrade? Not sure I agree. Cant tell if room is bigger. Porthole window for OG and next to theater. I tend to get sea sick so prefer midship which is why I pick obstructed ocean view. Any thoughts on noise, location, cabin size... Thanks in advance

Patti

Technically, it is an upgrade. For me, I would not consider it an upgrade.

I would call my PCC and ask what can be done. I know every time I book that category and pick a cabin, I tell my PCC I do NOT want an upgrade unless it is to a balcony or better. No other oceanview in my opinion would be acceptable. Good Luck!

That is how I feel. On paper may be an upgrade but I don't like it. Unfortunately PCC says obstructed is sold out and since we are 3 there are no other ocean views available. I don't want to be next to theater.. PCC told me to call him next week. My husband and quite a bit of his family sailing on breakaway in a couple of weeks,,, i couldn't go with kids in college. He has suite. This was more money and I understand the time of year plays into equation but I don't want to feel taken advantage of..maybe PCC will come thru. Good tip on making note NO UPGRADE unless balcony. Live and learn. Thanks for reply

yes, technically is considered an upgrade. We booked an inside cabin on our last cruise on the 10 floor mid ship. 3 weeks before our cruise we were offered an upgrade porthole on the 5th floor. I for one thought it was an insult to be offered that. I don't consider going from an upper floor to a lower floor an upgrade i don't care how many windows it has i rather stay in my family inside stateroom floor of my choice. I wish cruise lines would stop offering these as upgrades. If i were you i would call my pcc and request to stay where you are on the 8th floor is much quieter. Good luck

I feel more confident in taking a tougher stance on the situation. We were never consulted on this "upgrade". And didn't know it took place till I started on-line check-in. Will call him on Monday

When you originally booked, did you book a specific cabin or did you book a guarantee that you would get an obstructed view cabin "or better"? Generally, NCL doesn't move you from a cabin you specifically picked (and paid for) without checking with you first. If you paid a lower price for a "guarantee", then they have the right to assign you to that category or better cabin as they desire.

When you originally booked, did you book a specific cabin or did you book a guarantee that you would get an obstructed view cabin "or better"? Generally, NCL doesn't move you from a cabin you specifically picked (and paid for) without checking with you first. If you paid a lower price for a "guarantee", then they have the right to assign you to that category or better cabin as they desire.

I am asking myself those questions too. When i book i get the cabin # and they would not there move me without checking with me first.

I booked obstructed ocean view. My category still shows OK on my reservation. PCC. Not sure what happened. Thinks they might have oversold he said he would check. I know what you are saying. PCC offerred me for more money for a better room but I said no. I know what I m getting with obstructed view. Deck 8 and mid ship. I did not have assigned cabin tho. So was I mislead and was really one kind of guarantee as other poster stated? Do they record calls. Because I specifically stated I liked obstructed for those reasons. If they check my other sailings they will see I have booked obstructed in the past. I usually roll with things. But this one is bothering me. Still hoping PCC will do right by me. So I'll give him till next week as promised

I did this all over phone. But when you do mock bookings online. I paid for obstructed view price. Not guarantee price. That I know for sure. But I was not given cabin number at time but assumed it would be obstructed. I have never booked a guarantee room. When you book OK room isn't that a certain room type and not guarantee

I am asking myself those questions too. ...

+2 here

First, a little more info would be helpful to interpret - sailing date/ship/itinerary ... my best guess is sailing out of NYC for upcoming Bahamas/GSC/Nassau 7 days runs - don't think it's doing Bermuda, and NCL starting to finalize most if not all GTY cabins within the 21 to 45 days to sail windows. Do you have the originial/initial booking or reservation confirmation - there are both OV obstructed and OV obstructed - GTY (to be assigned) or similar wordings.

When we booked obstructed OV on the GEM, it was a GTY but expected somewhere to be Deck 8. Had we paid another $10 or $20 p/p, it would allow us to pick a specific cabin for the deck (8 in the case of GEM, likely true on the Star/Jewel/Star/Dawn that we've been on over the years) and secured the cabin # without checking with us first if a move is necessary - that is IF, if that was a designated Accessible AFT oceanview cabin. There's 4 on each side for a total of 8, NCL would release them but reserved the rights, correctly so, to move the non-accessible occupants as warranted.

That happened to us once - on a different NCL fleet ship - after we sailed - details not important, situations different - and we were politely requested to vacate & switch cabin with the other 2 guests who "badly" needed such a cabin after they sailed on Day 2.

For the GEM, ours was a O-OV GTY cabin for 2 and remained unassigned, and yes, we're upgraded from Deck 8 to Deck 4 FWD, portside (#4572, I believed - a little further back by 15 or so cabins) with a (big) porthole - and, yes, we sailed right after Sandy in 2012 out of NY against a Noreaster, gale force cross wind and 25' to 30' raging waves, I still jokingly called ours the submarine view for those 18 hours at sea, doing 24.5 knots - thought that going 22 to 23 knots was pretty fast for these sleek ship's design, but obviously she handled it well with the Capt's full command all night up on the Bridge.

Location under the Theater isn't necessary bad, except for possible noise during the early evening (if you are typically in bed by 11 PM or earlier - with kids, not so much - our 3.5 years old grand nephew jump into his bed with the iPad Mini at 11 PM to first play or watch video first.

You really don't see much, except daylights over those obstructed "picture" windows (possibly blackout ??) and the porthole ones are pretty big, and you can see out - and, there are plenty of semi-quiet public locations all over the ship to sit for free all day/night to relax & enjoy the views, indoor & outdoors.

Motions - yes, that can be a problem if prone to it. DW used to experience that too, but a tiny OTC tablet 24 hours before sailing will get those prone better prepared if seas are really rough. Cabin size, they are all pretty much the same, unless you originally got one of those "special" cabins NCL thought they don't need to withhold during your original booking timeframe.

Just some of my analysis of what's going on & I probably missed a thing or two. During the day, if seas are rough - hangout elsewhere midship & if it's rocking & rolling, you want to stay on deck 6 or 7 midship as the higher you are, the more motion you will experience.

Edited by mking8288

I actually read your review and saw your pictures when I searched. We are sailing on GEM in May. I was also asked if I wanted to spend $20 to pick my cabin but that was when I said no because it didn't matter what obstructed view because again I know what I am getting. Deck 8 midship. And yes I agree higher decks are worse for motion but again that's why I like mid deck 8. The only other time I was upgraded with out knowing was when I planned the meet n greet and found out upon arrival at the ship. Was on deck 10 and I was so concerned about having motion sickness I tried to give back the mini suite lol. My husband thought I was crazy but it ended up being a smooth sailing I was fine I am sure we will have fun. Just was so caught of guard. Traveling with 2 early 20ish. They will be out late. I usually go to bed early thanks for responding. And I really enjoyed your review

well when we book with our pcc we tell him what we want, which is usually mid ship 8-9-10 floor. He comes back with stateroom # and we go to ncl.com and look at the ship deck chart to see where we will be, once we see that then we make the decision and we pay for that stateroom # and location. We always know what stateroom we are going to have...for instance right now we have booked the Jade in October on deck 8 mid ship Ocean view picture window we know where we are going to be and our stateroom #. So it sounds like your pcc never gave you the # so you got a guarantee ocean view, even though you specified deck 8, so it seems I may be wrong.

Edited by qtaromar1970

I agree. I always had stateroom # before as well. This was unusual. I had been watching cruise prices and got a call from a PCC told him I was watching prices as I had missed the 3rd person free price and was kicking myself but wasn't sure yet if I could get off work. He said to watch prices and call him. Prices went up even more so when he called me again I was at a park walking my dog and on a whim I just said yes let's do it. It was an easy booking as we were all past guests and told him I wanted obstructed ocean view. Price matched what I knew was online. Paid in full as it was within final payment. Reviewed reservation email when I got home. Saw booking as obstructed OK room but no cabin number and didn't think much of it until like I said I started online check in. So who knows maybe it is a better room. could it be bigger PCC said a little bigger. That would be nice since there are 3 of us i am just more concerned about location being so far forward and first cabin right next to theater. PCC seems just as confused as I am why this happened. I like to think the best of people and think that this is not his fault and he will truly look into why it happened and if anything can be done.

I hope I can give you some info that would be helpful to you if not this time, at least for next time.

Your pcc definitely booked a guarantee for you which is not a good idea on the jewel class ships. If my memory serves me right, there are very few OK cabins that can accommodate three people which means you are at their systems mercy for cabin assignment.

Sounds like you booked during that 3 day window where ksf was not combinable with the freestyle choice promo which occurred between Feb 2-4. If you booked on feb 3rd or 4th, you could have invoke Ncl's 48 hour guarantee where they would have to honor price drops. In your case, the ksf would have reduced the third passenger rate you were charged while the perk you chose remains intact. This is how I understand it.

You can also put a 24 hour hold on your cruise if you need more time to decide, so you don't lose the price or promotions available at the time.

I hope your pcc can do something for you but highly unlikely without you paying to change your cabin. There definitely was miscommunication but I don't have confidence in a pcc who can't figure out what actually happened or he is just not upfront with you about the miscommunication. This is why I don't rely on ncl personnel or travel agents giving me all the facts; most don't know all the facts or options you have.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SJ

Bskmom - you read that old review from 2012, LOL & saw some of the pic too.

Let's see if your PCC can come up with a rabbit after Easter & get you moved next week. As long as the sailing isn't sold out completely & fully booked with all cabins assigned, the Upsell Fairy could be a friend if OV cabins get released back into the "pool" and NCL can put the 3 of you in a midship cabin higher up.

Personally, I like Deck 8 as we can walk up & down and not rely on those elevators and its easy access to almost everything on the ship - we enjoyed the Breakaway but still prefer the "smaller" mid-sized ships like the GEM, got a tentative booking/deposit hold for the end of 2015 ourselves doing one of those 10 days again ... unless we go blind with a CAS offer & repeat the Florida run.

Deck 5 FWD under the theater is not a great location, but it's not necessary a bad location, somewhat secluded & less runners in the hallway - I dont' recall vibrations being a problem, except maybe when it's turning in ports but expect some noise when it's dropping / raising anchors - especially when tendering (as in GSC, an excellent stop last month for us) If you aren't too worry about motion, a pair of foam earplugs or noise machine (got one on our smartphone for travel, indispensable on dry land) or in-ear NR headset can also help.

I can only guess that if your original booking wasn't for an accessible cabin or GTY, once another OV cabin with better location can be re-assigned to you, the magics can possibly happen. Good luck & let us know how it's turning out - CC is the place where many of us learn our tricks & insider's tips.

Edited by mking8288

I am learning! I will keep you posted. Mking8288. Yes I saw your 2012 review. I agree with you on ship size as well. Have sailed Breakaway. I am excited to try the Gem. Lets see what happens. Happy Easter for those who celebrate!

Patti

Then wouldn't my category be OX. And not OK. According to Gem deck plans category OX is guarantee and OK is obstructed oceanview. I paid for. OK which is deck 8 obstructed This is my stateroom summary. Also shows pic of large window

Obstructed Oceanview

STATEROOM:5000

CATEGORY: OK

APPROX SIZE:155-161 Sq Ft

VIEW:Oceanview

ACCOMMODATES:4

We were in that room back in January (well, sort of, we were across the hall in 5500). We were same as you, had a guarantee obstructed and got put into the forward most porthole.

It's pretty much the same size as the others, its not next to the theater, don't worry, the deck plans don't explain it right, you are down below that. You're at the end of the hallway and the only thing forward of your room is a wall.

The room will rock and roll the first night or so while you are up in the north Atlantic, but after that it will be perfectly fine.

On our Hawaii cruise, I was booked in an inside guarantee (ID) but was still monitoring prices for OK's and balconies, in case they came down. They were still showing available room numbers for the OK, BF, BE, BD and BC cabins but about a month before the cruise, all of these cabins became "guaranteed", even though there were different prices for each, and you couldn't pick a cabin number. As it turned out, we were also upgraded to an oceanview on Deck 4 but was not happy with that and when one of our roll call passengers said he was upgraded from an obstructed OV to a balcony, we called our TA and was able to get his old room, which they said was a downgrade. We booked our next trip on the Gem more than a year ahead but this time booked an OK with a room assigned because first, we got a great price for now being return cruisers and AARP discount, and second, the OK cabins don't have the extra couch that POA does so we wanted a sideways cabin so the bed wouldn't be in front of the window.

OP

I think you are missing these points:

1. Whenever you aren't assigned a room when booking...it's a guarantee

2. The guarantee is for that category or higher. You may not consider something an upgrade (I don't...I like OK also) but NCL does.

I learned the hard way too.....

I guess I was naive... Why would I pay more than the GTY price for OK when everything is better. I explicitly explained to PCC my reasons for booking OK I want deck 8 midship. Didn't realize I would not get an obstructed ocean view and my booking was really a GTY seems misleading to me. I guess I am learning the hard way too.