Birthday singing....

Scorpio41

If you are in club dining do they still put balloons above the table and sing Happy Birthday?

Have to say on our last 2 cruises, 21 and 26 days each I can only remember hearing the birthday singing once. We actually remarked on it to each other.

Can't remember if there were balloons on the one occasion. This would be second sitting.

I guess it varies from ship to ship. They did on the Oriana, however I had ordered the birthday cake (the basic sponge one, and it was lovely) so they were 'prewarned'. There seemed to be at least one or two birthdays each night, the waiters seemed remarkably cheerful considering how often they had to sing it. The table next to us joked they would be left out as none of them had a birthday, so they got a chorus of "happy birthday everybody".

We also got a birthday card from the captain and a dish of chocolates in the cabib, which I hadnt requested, and towel animals at turndown.

I guess they go in for birthdays in a big way on the Oriana

On P&O, they only do it if you ask and pay! On Fred Olsen, you say nothing and it still happens.

Sorry Jean I have had two birthdays on board P&O and got balloons, singing and a card from the Captain and Sue says she has never paid a bean:)

Edited by sueandphil

Sorry Jean I have had two birthday's on board P&O and got balloons, singing and a card from the Captain and Sue says she has never paid a bean:)

I think that there maybe a bit of confusion here. My husbands birthday is in August and consequently we are often cruising on his birthday, we have never paid anything and he has usually had balloons, singing and a card but he no longer gets a cake because P&O are now charge for them.

Edited by Josy1953

How much does it cost to not have singing?

David.

:D

I was hoping it let the birthday slide under the radar, but looks unlikely.

I know for wedding anniversaries you have to tell them.

Our last table guest just told us and with them being a quiet couple we respected their wishes. :)

Edited by Scorpio41

Oh crikey I'm going on the Arcadia for my 50th I'd hate it if i was made a show of. Surely it has to be requested, please help😳

I don't celebrate birthdays at home, just a meal out with OH. On board ship I don't mind as the people I'm dining with and other tables don't know me and are not going to be there every year making a fuss. I just go with the flow.

Oh crikey I'm going on the Arcadia for my 50th I'd hate it if i was made a show of. Surely it has to be requested, please help😳

Just asked Sue and she says she made our waiters aware when it was my birthday and hence the balloons and singing. As for the card from the Captain I think P&O work that out for themselves from your booking. So if you don't want singing best to keep stumm;)

Phil

OMG I'm about to book a cruise which sails on my 60th birthday. Do I have any chance of hiding which doesn't involve dining in the "Snatch and Grab"?

It always used to be that you only got the worst choir at sea if you requested it.

Surely this is still the case.

David.

It won't happen if you are on freedom dining. It's if you are in the MDR on fixed dining.

It doesn't have to be a special birthday. :D

I've seen plenty of "Birthday" singing in Freedom Dining but you must have to request it as I've had two birthdays on board but never had the singing thankfully. I've had the Birthday card and balloons in the cabin though.

Oh I'm dreading it now, I think I'll have to mention not to do it, or is that bringing attention to the situation. I've got Marco Pierre White and Atul Kotcher's places booked on the other nights

They won't do it unless you request it. Sure you'll love the restaurants.