Oh no another passport thread! Lol.

Wondering does anyone know...

We will be taking a close loop cruise out of a US port. The wife and I will have passports and are taking the "proper/ state certified/ non hospital..." BC for our kids. Being that our names are listed on the BC and both parents have passports would this be anyway helpful in an emergency situation? For example missing the ship, medical issue, or having to leave early.

Yes, I know that passports for ALL is ideal.

Only in getting passports for the kids if need be.

Recently there was a thread about a pax missing the ship in Nassau. IIRC it was on the Carnival board within the last month.

Edited by SadieN

We will be taking a close loop cruise out of a US port. The wife and I will have passports and are taking the "proper/ state certified/ non hospital..." BC for our kids. Being that our names are listed on the BC and both parents have passports would this be anyway helpful in an emergency situation? For example missing the ship, medical issue, or having to leave early.

Since State requires that parents' names be listed on the birth certificate presumably that's one less hurdle if you have a non-emergency return to the US (i.e. you are late back from a private excursion and miss the ship).

I am pretty sure that the kids also need a picture I.D. You don't say what age they are - that might make a difference.

You mention emergency - the kids cannot fly without a passport - not sure what happens in a "true emergency" such as a medical problem for one of the kids - but if you miss the ship, for example, you need a passport to fly home.

You know passports are "ideal." Why not just get them???

Will it be "helpful" if expedited passports are needed to fly home?

Yes, but it will still be 24 to 48 hours for the local embassy or consular office to issue.

These rules are enforced by the airline. You get to the check in counter and they verify passport information. No passport, no boarding pass. The airline does not have the authority to say "close enough, besides, this is an emergency". The rules are black and white. No grey area.

I am pretty sure that the kids also need a picture I.D. You don't say what age they are - that might make a difference.

You mention emergency - the kids cannot fly without a passport - not sure what happens in a "true emergency" such as a medical problem for one of the kids - but if you miss the ship, for example, you need a passport to fly home.

Photo ID is only necessary if they are 16 or older. Under 16 the BC is sufficient for WHTI rules.

Will it be "helpful" if expedited passports are needed to fly home?

Yes, but it will still be 24 to 48 hours for the local embassy or consular office to issue.

These rules are enforced by the airline. You get to the check in counter and they verify passport information. No passport, no boarding pass. The airline does not have the authority to say "close enough, besides, this is an emergency". The rules are black and white. No grey area.

The State Department has the authority to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, which may take the form of an emergency travel document other than a passport. The facts and circumstances will determine their course of action and it can take time for the process to take place. If one is uncomfortable with the idea of a delay then one may obtain a passport to mitigate their concern.

Because sometimes one doesn't need the ideal and kids' passports are only good for 5 years.

Sorry but that's just "pennywise and pound foolish." If the OP's screen name, which appears to suggest "travel savvy" as a definer rather than an aspiration, they'll see multiple trips during that 5 years, many of which may be advisable for a passport. And, for those parents, willing to examine every reasonable opportunity to rear cosmopolitan children, actively involving them (at least those of school age) in the acquisition of a passport is a good opportunity to discuss international relations.

Sorry but that's just "pennywise and pound foolish." If the OP's screen name, which appears to suggest "travel savvy" as a definer rather than an aspiration, they'll see multiple trips during that 5 years, many of which may be advisable for a passport. And, for those parents, willing to examine every reasonable opportunity to rear cosmopolitan children, actively involving them (at least those of school age) in the acquisition of a passport is a good opportunity to discuss international relations.

I was able to discuss international relations just fine without obtaining passports for my kids (or myself for that matter). Their future travel plans should play more of a role in the decision and if they do not have any that involve the kids then that should be considered also. This is an opportunity to teach the kids how to make a decision based on reasoning and fact, how to perform a risk anaylsis and contingency planning.

To me it's pennywise and pound foolish to spend money on something that has a small liklihood of happening and which is better planned for through the purchase of good travel insurance. The law allows travelers to choose what travel documentation to use under certain circumstances and I personally see nothing wrong with choosing an alternate to a passport if a traveller decides that is what will meet their needs. (Not to mention that not getting a passport now does not preclude getting a passport at a later date if travel plans do change.)

I was able to discuss international relations just fine without obtaining passports for my kids (or myself for that matter). Their future travel plans should play more of a role in the decision and if they do not have any that involve the kids then that should be considered also. This is an opportunity to teach the kids how to make a decision based on reasoning and fact, how to perform a risk anaylsis and contingency planning.

To me it's pennywise and pound foolish to spend money on something that has a small liklihood of happening and which is better planned for through the purchase of good travel insurance. The law allows travelers to choose what travel documentation to use under certain circumstances and I personally see nothing wrong with choosing an alternate to a passport if a traveller decides that is what will meet their needs. (Not to mention that not getting a passport now does not preclude getting a passport at a later date if travel plans do change.)

We will never agree on this topic. At the bottom line, however, a child with a passport will always have less hassle than a child without one if and when unplanned air travel becomes a necessity. You are correct that it's a matter of personal choice no matter how shortsighted it may be.

We will never agree on this topic. At the bottom line, however, a child with a passport will always have less hassle than a child without one if and when unplanned air travel becomes a necessity. You are correct that it's a matter of personal choice no matter how shortsighted it may be.

But we don't need to agree since we've both made up our minds, but we can certainly debate the issue civilly so those that haven't made up their minds can see all sides of the issue before making up their minds. I think we both agree that passport is king of the travel documentation world. But sometimes a queen or a jack will work, as allowed by the law (and if someone does want to be shortsighted that doesn't affect me in the least).

The definition of 'true emergency' arises....IMO, a true emergency involves possible end of life issues....in which case no airline, passport or not, will allow you to board. If you break a leg, have a heart attack, stroke, etc...you must be stabilized before you can travel....anywhere. Missing the ship is not an emergency and you will have time to manage the problem. (tho this will seem like one! :eek: )

If you have someone or something that could require a trip interruption then by all means have passports for everyone.

This brings up 'Risk'...something that only you can assess. Obviously the thousands of guests who cruise with only a BC/photo ID have assessed the possibilities involved and made their decision. Likewise with those who have passports.

So, gather the facts, ponder the possible problems, and make your decision. :D

The definition of 'true emergency' arises....IMO, a true emergency involves possible end of life issues....in which case no airline, passport or not, will allow you to board. If you break a leg, have a heart attack, stroke, etc...you must be stabilized before you can travel....anywhere. Missing the ship is not an emergency and you will have time to manage the problem. (tho this will seem like one! :eek: )

If you have someone or something that could require a trip interruption then by all means have passports for everyone.

This brings up 'Risk'...something that only you can assess. Obviously the thousands of guests who cruise with only a BC/photo ID have assessed the possibilities involved and made their decision. Likewise with those who have passports.

So, gather the facts, ponder the possible problems, and make your decision. :D

Actually millions of passengers cruise each year using something other than a passport with no issues (and I wouldn't say that those who use a birth certificate/government issued ID have assessed the possibilty, knowing human nature as I do I would guess that the vast majority have made no assessment at all. Fortunately for them the odds are on their side).

Sorry such a hot button topic. Thank you for the input some was useful. I was not looking to start arguments.

Sorry I forgot to say age but all under 10. I was just wondering if some had any actual first hand knowledge if there were any added helpfulness in some situations with the parents as passport holders...

As for my screen name we once were active travelers before kids. Now after having kids has halted our int'l. travels to a standstill. This being our first trip off US soil in almost 10 years and, obviously first with our kids. We are trying baby steps in our travels. A cruise is the best economical choice for our large family. If all goes well (enjoyable for everyone and w/o everyone getting seasick) I am sure we will get passports for all!

Sorry such a hot button topic. Thank you for the input some was useful. I was not looking to start arguments.

Sorry I forgot to say age but all under 10. I was just wondering if some had any actual first hand knowledge if there were any added helpfulness in some situations with the parents as passport holders...

As for my screen name we once were active travelers before kids. Now after having kids has halted our int'l. travels to a standstill. This being our first trip off US soil in almost 10 years and, obviously first with our kids. We are trying baby steps in our travels. A cruise is the best economical choice for our large family. If all goes well (enjoyable for everyone and w/o everyone getting seasick) I am sure we will get passports for all!

Because this is something that occurs so rarely actual experience is hard to find. Logic would tell us that if the parents hold passports and something were to happen it would help speed up the process for the kids, but the State Department is a government agency so one really cannot depend on logic;). I wouldn't expect that it would impede the process in any way since the facts are going to have more to do with the response than anything else. Hope your kids love cruising and become addicted!:)