First time cruiser with 15 year old daughter and her 16 year old friend. Any tips/ad

john&kate

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Your question is pretty broad, but her are some areas of Cruise Critic that might help you plan:

1. There is a section for each cruise line. There you can get answers to question you may have about the line you are booked with.

2. Port of Call section has info on most ports.

3. Roll Call section is where you can meet others sailing with you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Your question is pretty broad - you don't indicate which cruise line, where you are going, etc.

Some things to consider:

Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork for your daughter's friend - e.g. letter from parent to take her out of the country; insurance, including permission to treat in an emergency, etc.

Make sure the girls truly understand what is expected of them as far as behavior on board the ship. Emphasis on the fact that the ship is a "small city" and you should set rules for them.

Be very specific regarding security - there are a lot of threads on specific boards with more detailed information - no visiting other cabins as an example.

Make sure they are aware of no drinking alcohol.

If your cruise has a teen center make sure they attend the first meeting to get to know other teens on board.

Have a great trip!

We've taken teens at that age, and even though they were boys, I think the guidelines were/would be the same. Absolutely NO visiting cabins..ever, at all, PERIOD. Kids on cruises like to lie about their age. No accepting alcoholic drinks. It's dangerous, plus this could get ALL of us thrown off the ship. At that age, we didn't feel comfortable letting them wander around on the streets in a foreign country on their own. Too many people could target a young teen for an illegal purchase or a pickpocket will find them easy prey. Make sure you set a curfew. RCI and probably the rest of the cruise lines have a curfew for teens. We reminded ours about common courtesies regarding elevators, stairs and chair hogs, etc.

Thanks

Contact the cruise line that you will be on to find out what forms and info you need to give them in order to take a child that is not yours. Some require copies of both parents' id's such as driver license, some don't. Some require permission letter to be authorized, some don't. Get a medical authorization from her parents in case of emergency. Make sure she has some sort of authorized photo id such as school card, and official birth certificate. Passport would be even better.

Get them to Kids Club, Teens M&G whatever the first day, ASAP. that's when groups form.

Like the new kid at school it can be hard if you aren't there at the start, easier if you are.

Depending on the line and the kids, look at getting them a soda package.

You will need to book the friend into a room with an adult. Although cruise lines allow children to have their own room if a parent is travelling with them, minors who don't have their own parents on board are required to be booked with an adult in the same room. This is so the adult will have legal responsibility for whatever the minor decides to do.

I would definitely get a notarized letter that is signed by both her parents that allow you to take her on the cruise, as well as another notarized letter authorizing you to get her treated for any medical emergency. Get a copy of their insurance card. Ask if she's allergic to anything or to medicines. If she's on specific meds (inhalers, etc.), make sure the parents put them in a ziplock bag and put in her carry on.

As you will have to book an adult in each cabin (I don't know of any cruise line that would allow you to book them together) and make absolutely sure to book the second cabin next to yours (unless all four of you will be in the same cabin) and that your travel agent (or the cruise line booking agent if you go through the cruise line) has marked your bookings "no upgrade." You won't want to board the ship and find the two cabins on different decks or different ends of the ship.

Go by the usual rules (no going to other passengers' cabins, do not put down your soda and then drink some more later from it, stay together, etc.). They should go to the teen's center the first night so they can meet the other kids. Give them a time to return to the cabin or write down on a note on the desk where you'll be so they can stop by and check in (on our last cruise, we communicated with our 15-year-old through notes).

Personally, I wouldn't let them go out on their own in a port. You're responsible for both of them.

Welcome to CC, Sheelagh! You have gotten some great tips, so I won't try to improve on them but, I would suggest that your kids should be required to be present each evening for the meal. This should be a "command performance" with no excuses as to why they cannot attend. ;) That way you can ensure they are okay and hear all their stories of the day's activities.

I am sure you and they will have a great time! Those are some really great ports, too!

You've received good advice, but I'll throw out one more thing:

Talk to the girls VERY CLEARLY before the trip about your expectations. I know that sounds obvious, but in working with teens every day at school, I'm always amazed at how many parents DON'T talk to their kids -- they just assume their kids know what they expect.

I'd be crystal clear on safety topics:

- Never enter anyone else's cabins.

- Never allow anyone else to enter our cabin.

- We will leave the ship only as a family.

- Do not accept a drink from anyone except a crew member or a family member.

- Do not drink anything if it's been out of your hands.

- After dinner you're either in a supervised teen activity, in our rooms, or with us. You may not wander the ship after dark, even with kids whom you've known for several days.

I also agree with saying that dinner is "family time", and I'd discuss spending money ahead of time.

But be sure that the kids know what you expect.

Don't allow them to frequent after dinner activities without you. There are too many men who prey on young girls. My husband stepped in when we saw 2 teenage girls being harassed by older guys at a "dance party". The girls were having a hard time saying no. My husband walked up and told the girls it was time to join "Mom & Dad " at the table and they happily joined us.

Good for them to meet other teens and then do things as a group on the ship...safety in numbers....and remind them if they are in any uncomfortable situation to get the attention of a crew member or a nearby family....don't wait until they can find you...those hallways are very long.....in fact to stay in the public areas....not want to be an alarmist just a realist...hope you have a wonderful time.....lucky girls!

Good for them to meet other teens and then do things as a group on the ship...safety in numbers....and remind them if they are in any uncomfortable situation to get the attention of a crew member or a nearby family....don't wait until they can find you...those hallways are very long.....in fact to stay in the public areas....not want to be an alarmist just a realist...hope you have a wonderful time.....lucky girls!

Agree totally with this post. They should be encouraged to seek assistance from other adults or crew. Will this happen? Probably not but better to help the girls know what to do if unwelcome attention occurs.