Panic about the Epic

jenn6743

Our friends like the Epic.

With that said, we didn't and I was going to give up on NCL but we didn't/ The next cruise (BA) we did with UDP which I think if you get with the Epic, you will have an "Epic" better time...

Done UDP for all my NCL cruises and enjoyed the cruise much more.

I am bed bug paranoid but I wouldn't let it ruin my trip. Just go onboard and double check ur seams of the mattress, bottom, along the outlet covers etc... Check the cleanliness of ur room and if not satisfied, ask for a move...all good!!

Probably 99% it will be great so don't worry about 1%... ( just my estimate, nothing scientific, ha) 😄😄😃😃

Have a great tr!!

We sailed the Epic as our first ever cruise and loved it so much we went again. We then went on Royal Caribbean (at my sister's request) and did not like it. Really enjoyed the multiple dining options on NCL, bars and entertainment.

People will always shout loudest about what they don't like! Enjoy, have fun. It's a beautiful boat and if anything is wrong speak to the service desk onboard they will do their utmost to fix it.

I would sail on her again in a heartbeat :-)

Please tell me that my husband and I have not made a HUGE mistake by booking the Epic...I am panic. Please tell me that this is not a huge mistake!!!

"Panic" is a very strong word. I'd be more in a state of "panic" if the ship was sinking but more in a state of "disappointment" over a booking blunder.

Since you are now in the 75% cancellation penalty phase you're stuck. You're either going to go and try to enjoy it or cancel. Perhaps paying the cancellation fee is peace of mind you don't have to sail on a filthy and infested ship - or at least that's the condition you think it is in.

Perhaps recalling what made you consider Epic in the first place will help.

We have been on the Epic for 4 cruises-one in the Caribbean for 7 days, a Western Med b2b with a TA (20 days) and the 7 day Western Med again. That's 34 days total with no housekeeping issues. We loved the ship and the crew! Enjoy and relax.

Did an Epic Carribean cruise and loved it. Would book again in a heartbeat for Europe. I enjoyed the laid back Carribean cruise, but really enjoyed the ship-did a review you can search my name to find it (I confess-I am lazier than other posters) I was in a studio. My mother was in a balcony. We both loved our cabins-no issues with cleanliness or bedbugs. Relax and have a great trip!:D

I sail on Epic every year, from studios, inside, balconies. (54 nights onboard so far)

Think next one is 7th time with 8th Epic cruise booked. I've never encountered mold or soiled sheets.

She's 5 years old now and whilst she is due a refurbish this October I'm taking her back to the dry dock and have no fears the standards will still be there.

Edited by Single Cruiser

Please tell me that my husband and I have not made a HUGE mistake by booking the Epic. We are book for a Western Med. cruise in May. I have never sailed with NCL before. We are frequent cruisers with RCI and Carnival. We love both for different reason, and feel that they ships and services are perfect. However, with that being said I have been reading the boards on here and so far in the last week I have seen a post about a couple having BED BUGS, another couple had a disgusting room with mold, and soiled bed clothes, and now I hear there is fees for room service. :eek: I am panic.

Please tell me that this is not a huge mistake!!!

\

I would be more panicked and embarrassed by the fact that I was getting on the ugliest, most hideous, boxy, top-heavy looking abomination of a ship afloat ... its the AMC PACER of the cruise industry ... people look at it, point, and go .. "god what a horrible looking ship" ...

Edited by F27TW

\

I would be more panicked and embarrassed by the fact that I was getting on the ugliest, most hideous, boxy, top-heavy looking abomination of a ship afloat ... its the AMC PACER of the cruise industry ... people look at it, point, and go .. "god what a horrible looking ship" ...

I know when I'm relaxing in the unbelievable thermal suite or eating at one of the multitude of specialty restaurants or lounging in the Posh beach club or Haven lounge I always have that nagging feeling that all the people on other cruise ships feel their cruises are so much better because although most of them can't touch all these amenities but they really look good on the outside and that really makes their cruises so much better than mine.

I know when I'm relaxing in the unbelievable thermal suite or eating at one of the multitude of specialty restaurants or lounging in the Posh beach club or Haven lounge I always have that nagging feeling that all the people on other cruise ships feel their cruises are so much better because although most of them can't touch all these amenities but they really look good on the outside and that really makes their cruises so much better than mine.

all the new RC and Carnival ships (as well as the NCL Breakaway and Getaway) have the same wonderful facilities and specialty restaurants unique to them ....and yet manage NOT to look like a ridiculous overgrown barge like the hideous Epic does.

So Noles... yea u go enjoy ur ugly ship ... thought I bet when people on-shore ask you what ship you are going back to, you grimace a little when you point at Epic ...

I too am going on the epic for the 1st time (sailing from Barcelona in October), so I have been keeping a keen on on the posts regarding this ship.

I did catch the Bed Bugs thread and was of course appalled and read thru the entire post. I have to say, in my opinion, the way the original poster communicated his experiences, it seemed more like he was attempting to extort money out of NCL, by providing back feedback on a site specifically intended to discuss all facets of cruises/cruising. I think if I had encountered any type of issue, I would have provided FACTs, substantiated with evidence (photos of the bites, the soiled attire, the "blacklight" inspection), and then sent a letter directly to NCL, indicating that if they did not provide proper recourse (in his case recompense) then I would feel obliged to share my experiences publicly via social media channels.

I trust in the NCL brand. That is why they have gained my loyalty as a customer. I am not a seasoned cruiser (YET), but the experiences I have had on their cruise line have been enough to satiate my expectations. I do my homework and I also appreciate deeply those posters who so kindly take the time to share their reviews and experiences as well. So as another poster said, the Epic is a huge ship, with a plethora of passengers, many of whom continue to share their experiences here, and other than that one particular thread, I think the worst complaint I have read so far is "beware the bathroom layout"

\

I prefer to judge people and ships by their inner worth, not by outer appearances. I happen to think the Epic, while not the prettiest ship on the outside, offers lots of great times on the inside.

\

You're kidding, right? What the H does the exterior of the ship have to do with everything good on the inside? And this, coming from someone who sails on Costa? Costa, the very worst of the worst out there!

Please tell me that my husband and I have not made a HUGE mistake by booking the Epic. We are book for a Western Med. cruise in May. I have never sailed with NCL before. We are frequent cruisers with RCI and Carnival. We love both for different reason, and feel that they ships and services are perfect. However, with that being said I have been reading the boards on here and so far in the last week I have seen a post about a couple having BED BUGS, another couple had a disgusting room with mold, and soiled bed clothes, and now I hear there is fees for room service. :eek: I am panic.

We cruised on the Epic Dec 2014. It was impressive, relaxing, clean, well maintained. I would book again in a heart beat.

The Epic is a great ship. Lots of entertainment, lots to do. Great place to visit.

I read a lot about the EPIC last year before we did our cruise in June. A lot of it was negative stuff also. Staff being ugly, ship in horrible condition, etc. At first I was like, OMG what are we doing. We have cruised smaller ships like NCL Pearl and Sun so the EPIC was our first big ship experience.

I loved it. Great times, beautiful conditions, staff was very outgoing, water slides amazing, room was always cleaned and in great condition.

Another note: My very first cruise was on a CCL. I had read such great things about CCL and the ship. Well I went in the cruise thinking we would be in good hands. WRONG! Worst experience every. Nasty ship and staff was so rude! So I guess it depends on each persons perspective.

\

"people" ?? No, YOU and only you. If you don't like the ship, stay home.

all the new RC and Carnival ships (as well as the NCL Breakaway and Getaway) have the same wonderful facilities and specialty restaurants unique to them ....and yet manage NOT to look like a ridiculous overgrown barge like the hideous Epic does.

So Noles... yea u go enjoy ur ugly ship ... thought I bet when people on-shore ask you what ship you are going back to, you grimace a little when you point at Epic ...

It would not bother me what people thought when I pointed out I was on Epic. I guess I'm just not so superficial or shallow to think that really matters.

I was on the March 15th sailing and I LOVED IT! I was solo but made SOOOOO many friends and took a peek in many cabins and never heard of any bed bug or mold issues. I also have allergies and I was just fine for that week. No mold issues.

I've sailed CCL and RCCL previously and the March sailing was my first NCL cruise. I enjoyed NCL more, just my opinion. I am single and 32 yo female. I've booked their new ship, Escape for next March. NCL is my line of choice now. Be active in your roll call and GO to the Meet and Mingle on the ship with the officers if you can!

You will have a fantastic time! And if you drink, invest in the UBP - I didn't because I thought it was too much (as a solo - it was just a little under the entire cost of my cruise fare) but I have already got it for next time!

• 1 month later...

There is a charge for room service but only between the hours of midnight and 5am (or it may have been 5.30am, can't remember). No charge for other times.