United & operated by Lufthansa ?s

JenMJM

1) Flying from Washington Dulles to Rome, DH and I have Economy seats next to the window (only two seats in that section). I'm 5'10" and he's 6'3". According to the graphic on United's website, it appears that Economy Plus has leg room equivalent to a normal exit row. Is that the case? If so, we're thinking that $260 total would be worth the move up to Econ Plus.

2) Our flight from Venice with a layover in Frankfurt, Germany back to Orlando is operated by Lufthansa. On the United website, we're unable to select our seats now ("Please see an airport agent during check-in to receive your seat assignment"). My assumption is that we will have to wait to select our seats 24 hours before flying out of Venice. Or does that mean we can select before we leave the US during our first check-in? I was really hoping to get the seat selections early, but I understand that may not happen.

I haven't flown overseas since my trip to Australia ten years ago, so it's been a while since I've had a flight longer than 5 hours. TIA!

1. You don't name the plane on which you are flying, but exit row seats, will have the most leg room, more then a regular E+ seat. The graphics are not drawn to scale as far as I know. However, you will have more leg room in E+ then regular economy. If you think it's worth it, upgrade.

2. No, you can't select seats for an LH flight using UA's webpage. You'll have to get your LH confirmation number (it's listed on your itinerary). You can call LH to try and choose seats in advance, or try to do so on their webpage, but most booking classes now don't allow free advance seat selection until OLCI for the LH flight.

I have had a lot of problems with codeshares involving LH/UA. Their computer systems don't play nicely with each other. Keep your eye on your reservation.

Edited by 6rugrats

1. You don't name the plane on which you are flying, but exit row seats, will have the most leg room, more then a regular E+ seat. The graphics are not drawn to scale as far as I know. However, you will have more leg room in E+ then regular economy. If you think it's worth it, upgrade.

2. No, you can't select seats for an LH flight using UA's webpage. You'll have to get your LH confirmation number (it's listed on your itinerary). You can call LH to try and choose seats in advance, or try to do so on their webpage, but most booking classes now don't allow free advance seat selection until OLCI for the LH flight.

I have had a lot of problems with codeshares involving LH/UA. Their computer systems don't play nicely with each other. Keep your eye on your reservation.

Boeing 767-400ER

By keeping my eye on my reservation, do you mean that you've had a flight cancelled from your reservation before?

Boeing 767-400ER

By keeping my eye on my reservation, do you mean that you've had a flight cancelled from your reservation before?

I would not choose exit row seats on that plane; they're right next to the bathroom and/or galley.

I had a reservation booked through UA, flying on LH last year. I was able to choose seats in advance, yet my seat selection kept disappearing. I had to keep reselecting the seats. The day before the flight, I was unable to check in online; it kept saying my reservation couldn't be found. I called UA who said it was fine, and LH said it was also there, and told me to check in at the airport.

When I tried to check in at the airport, neither my reservation or my ticket could be found. It took two supervisors and about 35 minutes to issue a new ticket number and get me on the plane. I lost my seat reservation and was stuck in the middle in the back. I was told that there was a problem with UA and LH's computer systems not being compatible.

Fortunately, the plane ended up having only half the bathrooms working, so we took a bump and were placed on a BA flight.

On the way home, same thing happened; I couldn't check in online and at the airport they couldn't find my reservation. This was finally resolved, but it was a pain.

Both my children's tickets were fine, but they were not on my reservation. Probably you will have no problem, but I always keep an eye on my itineraries, just in case.

UA doesn't offer double upgrades; you can't upgrade from economy to F on a three class plane. And an upgrade for cash offer for business on this routing would be pretty rare and expensive. You can look at your itinerary right now and see if one is available.

UA doesn't offer double upgrades; you can't upgrade from economy to F on a three class plane. And an upgrade for cash offer for business on this routing would be pretty rare and expensive. You can look at your itinerary right now and see if one is available.

Not only that, but the 767-400 does not have Business and First. It has one BusinessFirst. So it's a two-class plane. There are only a couple aircraft types in the UA fleet that have both Business and First.

Not only that, but the 767-400 does not have Business and First. It has one BusinessFirst. So it's a two-class plane. There are only a couple aircraft types in the UA fleet that have both Business and First.

Just for fun I checked to see what the price would be to upgrade to the "bed" seats. I just laughed. Not gonna happen! So expensive!!! The most we will do is move up to Econ+ for the extra leg room for the trip to Rome.