NCL isn't the only cruise line "cutting corners"

bangzoom6877

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but I'm just trying to keep this in perspective, in view of what's been going on recently with NCL. On the Carnival forum, there is a thread about a new room service menu being launched in the near future, with many speculations about how exactly it will pan out. Right now, the speculation is that the menu will include the current complimentary offerings but will also have an extended menu for items available for an up charge. There are some people worried since NCL started testing the delivery fee for any room service order, even coffee, on two ships.

Someone pointed out that since they booked their cruise in May 2014, a few things have changed and this person is very unhappy about it. This would be the 5th change, the new room service menu. Other things that they've changed are no more smoking on your own balcony, no more chocolate on your pillow with your nightly turn-down service, the free drink they give in the MDR for gold members is being replaced with a free bottle of water instead, and Carnival is also rolling out new menus in the MDR, effective May 31st...one change is no more chateaubriand in the MDR which the person specifically pointed out as a disappointment.

So, yes people are talking about the nickel and diming they're feeling from Carnival right now. People are complaining that Carnival is no longer truly all-inclusive, as others are pointing out that Carnival was never truly all-inclusive (for example, things like alcohol, soda, photos, shore excursions, spa and gambling were always extra).

My point is, the mainstream cruise lines seem to all be doing similar things, in order to make more money and keep cruise fares where they are at the same time. I know that the main reason many people have been upset with NCL is because they've done some things trying to pull the wool over people's eyes, particularly the fee for all room service orders and the 18% gratuity in specialty restaurants which people only found out on the first cruise where it was implemented once they had already boarded the ship. That is also the main thing I didn't like about the way NCL has rolled out these changes. But, the cruising industry is constantly changing and if you compare similar cruise lines, they're doing very similar things.

Ok I'm done now...flame away if you must, I can take it. ;)

Edited by bangzoom6877

I would love to find a cruise line that does things the "old school" way. I would gladly pay more ... but to go back to the days of the midnight buffets, the whole lobsters at dinner, the amazing dinners without specialty restaurants, and 24-hour room service with a decent menu ... I'd pay extra for that.

I would love to find a cruise line that does things the "old school" way. I would gladly pay more ... but to go back to the days of the midnight buffets, the whole lobsters at dinner, the amazing dinners without specialty restaurants, and 24-hour room service with a decent menu ... I'd pay extra for that.

Cunard? Silver sea? I wouldn't be the type to sail them but do they still do it the old timely way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No flames from me but I would point out that for the most part the changes at Carnival are cost-cutting measures. The changes at NCL have mostly been added fees, charges and increases. In terms of the room service menu, if NCL had done an enhancement to the room service menu as it appears Carnival has I believe the reactions here on CC would have been very different. Carnival enhanced their menu with for fee items leaving the basics free. NCL already had a menu with for fee items and instead of just widening the available options it appears they are going for a service charge (convenience fee) + 18% on each and every order. What is happening in one company is very different from the other even if they have a common denominator of being changes to room service.

Rochelle

I know exactly the cruises you're talking about! I love cruising but sometimes I wish we could go on just one cruise where it is the way it was when I went on my first cruise in 1990. The only dinner option besides room service was the MDR and all tables were full unless someone was sick and couldn't make it. The buffet was open for breakfast and lunch only. We had cappuccino included with dinner in the MDR, and even soda on that sailing was included in the MDR. We had the same waiter for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day in the MDR unless we were in port and lunch was open seating. Yes we had way fewer options but the quality was amazing and so was the service...very personalized. The midnight buffet was in the MDR every night and had a different theme. It was a big deal. And this was all when I was just 13 years old, so even as a kid I really enjoyed all of that. And I didn't grow up in a pretentious environment, by any means!

Reminiscing about the way cruising used to be, I'm not saying there shouldn't be more choices for everyone because I love it that there are choices and that people don't have to dress up for dinner if they don't want to (even though we still choose to dress up). Just that the quality used to be different overall. And even later in the 1990s when they did offer dinner at the buffet for those who didn't want to spend a lot of time eating dinner or dress up, the quality was still excellent, food, service and everything. Remember the free bridge tours and galley tours? I miss those too...would love to do those someday with my boys without having to pay extra. And I miss GOOD lobster in the MDR too. Not the tiny tails they used to serve because I don't care that those are gone. The real deal that was outstanding is the lobster I miss!

Too stuffy

That's the price one's pays for wanting the old things back. Just saying, you did say (and its underline) :

That's the price one's pays for wanting the old things back. Just saying, you did say (and its underline) :

You can have class without the stuffy atmosphere. I was just a kid on my first cruise, but I certainly remember it. Not stuffy at all, and nothing like today's cruises.

No flames from me but I would point out that for the most part the changes at Carnival are cost-cutting measures. The changes at NCL have mostly been added fees, charges and increases. In terms of the room service menu, if NCL had done an enhancement to the room service menu as it appears Carnival has I believe the reactions here on CC would have been very different. Carnival enhanced their menu with for fee items leaving the basics free. NCL already had a menu with for fee items and instead of just widening the available options it appears they are going for a service charge (convenience fee) + 18% on each and every order. What is happening in one company is very different from the other even if they have a common denominator of being changes to room service.

Rochelle

You are absolutely correct. But I will also point out that those of us cruising NCL still have a choice when it comes to paying for room service because it is a choice to use it. It is a choice to go to a specialty restaurant or buy a drink. When a cruise line changes their MDR menu, and stops the little things like chocolate on your pillow at night, the passenger has no choice regarding these things. Because of that, the changes themselves even out, except the room service convenience charge if that is not what Carnival ultimately does.

I know exactly the cruises you're talking about! I love cruising but sometimes I wish we could go on just one cruise where it is the way it was when I went on my first cruise in 1990. The only dinner option besides room service was the MDR and all tables were full unless someone was sick and couldn't make it. The buffet was open for breakfast and lunch only. We had cappuccino included with dinner in the MDR, and even soda on that sailing was included in the MDR. We had the same waiter for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day in the MDR unless we were in port and lunch was open seating. Yes we had way fewer options but the quality was amazing and so was the service...very personalized. The midnight buffet was in the MDR every night and had a different theme. It was a big deal. And this was all when I was just 13 years old, so even as a kid I really enjoyed all of that. And I didn't grow up in a pretentious environment, by any means!

Reminiscing about the way cruising used to be, I'm not saying there shouldn't be more choices for everyone because I love it that there are choices and that people don't have to dress up for dinner if they don't want to (even though we still choose to dress up). Just that the quality used to be different overall. And even later in the 1990s when they did offer dinner at the buffet for those who didn't want to spend a lot of time eating dinner or dress up, the quality was still excellent, food, service and everything. Remember the free bridge tours and galley tours? I miss those too...would love to do those someday with my boys without having to pay extra. And I miss GOOD lobster in the MDR too. Not the tiny tails they used to serve because I don't care that those are gone. The real deal that was outstanding is the lobster I miss!

Yes! Good times for sure.

You can have class without the stuffy atmosphere. I was just a kid on my first cruise, but I certainly remember it. Not stuffy at all, and nothing like today's cruises.

My first cruise wasn't stuffy at all either. My sister and I made plenty of friends, and my parents also made a lot of friends. All regular hard working people looking to have a good time and relax on their vacation.

You are absolutely correct. But I will also point out that those of us cruising NCL still have a choice when it comes to paying for room service because it is a choice to use it. It is a choice to go to a specialty restaurant or buy a drink. When a cruise line changes their MDR menu, and stops the little things like chocolate on your pillow at night, the passenger has no choice regarding these things. Because of that, the changes themselves even out, except the room service convenience charge if that is not what Carnival ultimately does.

I was one of the people really irate over the changes. The double dipping 18% gratuity still irks me, and in all likelihood, I won't dine in a specialty because of it. I will go to the Supper Club on the Escape though, because I want to see the show. I would imagine they will add 18% there, but ... as you said ... it's my choice to go. The room service fee - I don't think $3.95 is that big of a deal (unless you're ordering coffee and a danish. Then it's absurd). $7.95 is enough for me not to use it. I probably would not stop using it over $3.95 ... but ... I do not think NCL went about this in the right way at all. I think an announcement would have been the correct way to handle it. People went on their cruises with no idea they would be charged these fees, and that wasn't cool.

Rochelle

You mean the common denominator of also affecting the bottom line as well, both are doing it just in different ways like you said - Carnival with cost-cutting and NCL with adding fees / charges / increase. In the end, its up to the consumer to decide which one they rather deal with or not the most.

Edited by maywell

My first cruise wasn't stuffy at all either. My sister and I made plenty of friends, and my parents also made a lot of friends. All regular hard working people looking to have a good time and relax on their vacation.

That's exactly what it was. Just regular, normal people who saved money for a nice vacation.

I was one of the people really irate over the changes. The double dipping 18% gratuity still irks me, and in all likelihood, I won't dine in a specialty because of it. I will go to the Supper Club on the Escape though, because I want to see the show. I would imagine they will add 18% there, but ... as you said ... it's my choice to go. The room service fee - I don't think $3.95 is that big of a deal (unless you're ordering coffee and a danish. Then it's absurd). $7.95 is enough for me not to use it. I probably would not stop using it over $3.95 ... but ... I do not think NCL went about this in the right way at all. I think an announcement would have been the correct way to handle it. People went on their cruises with no idea they would be charged these fees, and that wasn't cool.

Yes, the way NCL went about this was the main thing I disagreed with as well. I also think they should have made an announcement, and I felt bad for people who found this out after they boarded. It just sets the tone, you know?

I definitely have not cruised as long as some..my first cruise was 10 years ago. Things have changed so dramatically since then even! Back then, you sat at the table you assigned, we were at a table for 10 and everyone was so different, but we had so much fun. I remember the Baked Alaska that they set afire tableside. And the ship prints you got on the last night to take home. You gave the people who deserved it tips in a tip envelope on the way out. Your waiter would always remember your name, what kind of drink you liked, etc. Specialty restaurants as far as I know didn't make their debut until the ship we sailed on our third cruise, the Freedom of the Seas.

Keep in mind though, that costs at least for cruises we've chosen have pretty much remained steady. We got what I thought was a fantastic deal on that first cruise, a 4 night out of LA in an inside for I believe $219? Then seven years later we did a 5 day inside for $199 on a different Carnival ship. We are paying the same price for a spa balcony on the getaway this year per person as we did in a promenade room on the Freedom 8 years ago.

One of the things I have loved about cruising is that you can in many ways choose how much you spend and really customize your vacation. We have scraped together change and did a budget cruise where our on board spending was just tips, and we also went all out and did a B2B with a balcony (all out for us I suppose). We can spend a little or spend a lot, so my preference would much rather be a cheaper base price with more "nickel and diming" than a higher base price and more included.

All that to say, my issue with NCL has been twofold....changing terms on promos after enticing people with said promos (taking away specialty show on UDP) and changing things with no notice (ala room service menu). Increased DSC, higher gratuities, etc. just come with the vacation, but baiting and switching, especially with no notice, is simply not cool.

I definitely have not cruised as long as some..my first cruise was 10 years ago. Things have changed so dramatically since then even! Back then, you sat at the table you assigned, we were at a table for 10 and everyone was so different, but we had so much fun. I remember the Baked Alaska that they set afire tableside. And the ship prints you got on the last night to take home. You gave the people who deserved it tips in a tip envelope on the way out. Your waiter would always remember your name, what kind of drink you liked, etc. Specialty restaurants as far as I know didn't make their debut until the ship we sailed on our third cruise, the Freedom of the Seas.

Keep in mind though, that costs at least for cruises we've chosen have pretty much remained steady. We got what I thought was a fantastic deal on that first cruise, a 4 night out of LA in an inside for I believe $219? Then seven years later we did a 5 day inside for $199 on a different Carnival ship. We are paying the same price for a spa balcony on the getaway this year per person as we did in a promenade room on the Freedom 8 years ago.

One of the things I have loved about cruising is that you can in many ways choose how much you spend and really customize your vacation. We have scraped together change and did a budget cruise where our on board spending was just tips, and we also went all out and did a B2B with a balcony (all out for us I suppose). We can spend a little or spend a lot, so my preference would much rather be a cheaper base price with more "nickel and diming" than a higher base price and more included.

All that to say, my issue with NCL has been twofold....changing terms on promos after enticing people with said promos (taking away specialty show on UDP) and changing things with no notice (ala room service menu). Increased DSC, higher gratuities, etc. just come with the vacation, but baiting and switching, especially with no notice, is simply not cool.

Yes, things have changed quite a lot in the last decade as well, but I have to disagree on one thing...the way you described it from 10 years ago sounds like cruise lines other than NCL. Our first NCL cruise was in 2002 on the Norwegian Sea and it was freestyle back then with the exception of one NCL ship (the Norway). You're right about prices remaining steady over the years or even being cheaper for certain cruises. I do find Royal Caribbean to be more expensive than NCL whenever we price both cruise lines, but that's only for the summer season as we cruise in July. I have nothing else to compare it to because we always take our family vacation in July. I also find NCL to be more expensive than Carnival.

No doubt, making major changes that affect people's budgets without notice is not cool at all.

I would much rather have additional fees on items I can choose to use or not, opposed to cost cutting.

I certainly don't think Crystal is stuffy; I've met some of the most down to earth people in the world on my cruises with Crystal.

Carnival is set to charge a delivery charge for room service for certain items (others to remain at n/c):

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/04/07/carnival-cruise-lines-to-start-charging-for-room-service/

The story quotes Cruise Critic's news report here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6286

Carnival is not set to charge a delivery charge. Here's their newly announced room service menu. All they have done is add a few new hot items that carry an ala carte fee. No delivery charge, no automatically added gratuity. No after hours fee. No nothing, except the per-item cost for the added selections.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=345631&d=1428410407

That's not the point for some of us. Of course the new fee is easily avoidable. But for me all of the changes being implemented are to further Del Rio's money grab of "can I get $4 or $5 more out of you and your wife". No Mr. Del Rio, you certainly cannot unless you increase the value to me of what you are offering. Charging for something that used to be free does not in any way increase value to the customer.

Now if they completely revamped the room service menu and offered items that are only available via room service and charge a fee (as they do in the specialty restaurants), well that might be something worth paying for. But to charge for something that is free elsewhere is not the way to add value.

Not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination for me but they have lost my goodwill and if they want to get me onboard it will have to be with their price and their price alone. I am not going to be swayed by PT Barnum advertising "look at all of the free stuff we give you to entice you to book but you are really paying for it anyway and half of it you wouldn't buy if you had the choice".

Yes but one of the pleasures of a cruise is that cup of coffee in your robe on the balcony to start the day. To now be charged for this service is crazy especially since most people tip the room service person anyway. And I don't want to have to leave the room and bring it back.