Golden Now Charging for Hot Chocolate in Full Suite Room Ser. Breakfast

Ronnieslady

Having cruised a lot in Alaska - Princess is very inconsistent with Hot Chocolate and pricing (even the packet mix). Sometimes they charged for it and other times it was free in the morning but not later. Sometimes free in Horizon Court and other times, not. It was incredibly inconsistent.

On other cruises, I have found them to be inconsistent also. I don't drink coffee or tea but when cold, I do like hot chocolate - even the ones in the packet which is what is served in the dining room but put in a silver serving container.

Having recently cruised with Carnival where (self-serve machine)hot chocolate is always complimentary, It's unfortunate that Princess doesn't offer the same.

I do remember hot chocolate offered (complimentary) on our Alaska sailing one afternoon , but IIRC(Glacier Bay day?) that was the only time during the cruise.

Even on warm weather cruises, I like a nice hot chocolate in the evening when out on deck.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally got the refund on my charges. Never got a phone call from the room service supervisior that I asked for. I think the person who actually went to bat on this was the guy that delivered the morning things for us. As been the same nice kid everyday. He told me this AM that the charge was going to be taken off, & it actually was, I checked our account.

It does seem like on this cruise, there is a lot of the staff that is brand new & this is their 1st cruise.

I wanted to get back with the final resalution to this little problem. Thanks for all of you responding & being on my side. Cruise Critic is great. From now on I will just bring the little powder packs. After all I just add a little to my regular AM coffee. It makes their room service coffee taste a little better, if that is possible.

I'm going to agree with this. I got my DGS am ultimate package because he does love his hot chocolate. What annoyed me was when they put a powered package and added water. No, I paid for the actual making of it, just like a specialized coffee. I would buy it again because he really enjoyed being able to order what he wanted but in the future I would actual press them to make the drink I was paying for.

We asked the dining room (when served in the silver serving container at our table) what kind of hot chocolate it was, we were told Carnation powdered brand.

Having recently cruised with Carnival where (self-serve machine)hot chocolate is always complimentary, It's unfortunate that Princess doesn't offer the same.

I do remember hot chocolate offered (complimentary) on our Alaska sailing one afternoon , but IIRC(Glacier Bay day?) that was the only time during the cruise.

Even on warm weather cruises, I like a nice hot chocolate in the evening when out on deck.

The Carnival HC machines is one of the things I miss most on Princess. Always the perfect cup (once you know the secret when the dispenser looks empty)

Next time we sail Princess we're bringing our own HC.

Royal has hot chocolate machine in Concierge lounge for suites so funny they would even charge on other ships or via room service.

Soda used to be free also. And the cost per serving via the bar soda guns these days is likely less than the cost of the "free" coffee on Princess.

Soda used to be free also. And the cost per serving via the bar soda guns these days is likely less than the cost of the "free" coffee on Princess.
That must have been a long time ago. We first sailed on Princess in 2004 and there was a charge for sodas then.

There are so many better brands of hot cocoa on the market than carnation. No way I am paying for that. Or for "premium tea". We bring our own tea bags and cocoa mix. I don't mind paying for a coffee card because that is a reasonable value. A pot of hot water shouldn't cost anything.

I'm glad to read that the OP received a refund of the charge for the room service hot chocolate. It is disappointing to hear though that the hot chocolate is from a carnation packet. If the intention and future policy will be to charge for hot chocolate one could reasonably expect for it to be the real stuff, not some over-processed pretender. JMHO.