Golden Now Charging for Hot Chocolate in Full Suite Room Ser. Breakfast

Ronnieslady

Just a heads up about what was comp. in a full suite, room service breakfast menu (Hot Chocolate). Now they are charging for this on the Golden Princess.It appeared on my printout checking my charges on the 2nd day, of 10 day Mexican Rivera cruise, which I am on now. I went to Passenger Services Desk, they looked into it & when I went back to them, (they never called me back) they said, there is now a charge for it, even tho it is on the full suite breakfast menu folder. Get this, they said, "my room steward was not suppose to give us that folder, because it is the one that says," Escape Completely" for our breakfast menu. It is the folder that holds the breakfast card. And if I fight it that the room steward will have to makeup for the charges." She actually said that. I could hardly believe it. I would never do that to him. He is overworked as it is

It is not the money at all. It is just the principal of it, now. I feel like I am fighting for all of us in full suites. I said " just have the supervisor of room service call me". That is yet to happen.

Has this happened to anyone recently in a full suite??? And would the Captain Circle person be of any help in this case. ??? I have read here on the boards that sometimes they will go to bat for us on certain issues.

Let me know what you think. I know it is very petty but. It just shows you how one ship does one thing & another can do something else.

I guess I just needed to vent. I will try to check back, but I have bad internet connection in E733, it helps when I open the door.

I agree with Pam.

Customer Service staff should not be telling passengers not to complain, that the steward would have to make up the costs. This is not very professional, even if true.

While on the Ruby a few years ago, we ordered a bottle of wine in Sabatini's. Later I found a charge I could not understand and questioned it. I was told the wine list we were given was outdated, so the wine we selected was priced wrong. After we signed off on the wine charge; our bill was adjusted up $40. I objected to the additional $40 being tacked onto our bill by the Bar Manager. The charged was changed back to what we originally signed for but took 3 days for the Bar Manager to correct it.

We just got off the Golden and were in a suite. We ordered off the card in the yellow folder (writing stuff in on the door hanger as needed). Of course they got a couple things wrong and made up stories to explain them away (wrong menu for that day, blah, blah) We got the same breakfast menu folder in a suite on Golden last November. Don't know about the hot chocolate charge change, they did take my drink ticket for a cappuccino, but I expected that.

Maybe you have some of the rookies we ran into. We had a lot of weird explanations instead of "oops sorry we'll fix that" and run ins with rude crew. Of course we reported those as well as kudos for the stars we had.

... While on the Ruby a few years ago, we ordered a bottle of wine in Sabatini's. Later I found a charge I could not understand and questioned it. I was told the wine list we were given was outdated, so the wine we selected was priced wrong. After we signed off on the wine charge; our bill was adjusted up $40. I objected to the additional $40 being tacked onto our bill by the Bar Manager. The charged was changed back to what we originally signed for but took 3 days for the Bar Manager to correct it.

:eek: That is inexcusable. IMO, you should have received an apology and the bottle of wine in question comped for your trouble.

I would put in in writing to the Hotel Manager seal the letter in an envelope and give it to Passenger Service. You will receive an answer back, probably from the food and beverage manager, and will most likely receive the credit and maybe even some other items, for the trouble. We had a small issue with the tour desk one time and after bouncing around with their staff we wrote a letter to the Hotel Manager. The next day we received a written letter from the tour desk manager correcting the problem. So writing to the Hotel Manager did work at least that time.

For those that drink Hot Cocoa, I guess the time has come to pack your own envelopes. FYI: The Royal had free hot cocoa at the buffet when we were on it in Sept 2014. On the Star last month hot cocoa was not unlimited at the International Cafe coffee bar. There was a punch for it.

Even if I were in a full suite I wouldn't pay for hot chocolate. We always bring our own Cappuccino mix - D'Vita. I put two cans of it in a baggie and pack it. I started doing this when I saw that there would be a charge. However, being in a full suite don't you get free booze or a bar set up? I wouldn't be surprised if you did get one that they would be doing away with that as well.

They don't always get it right and mistakes are made.

Over Christmas 2013, we were billed for a batch of laundry which was clearly wrong. However, it was quickly corrected by a visit to the suite passenger's reception desk.

We did not however seek any compensation either on that occasion or this last Christmas when I was initially charged for a bottle of wine despite having purchased a wine package.

Just go to reception. I'm sure it is a mistake.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

As I understand it, the rules for suite room service are the same as the MDR. So if hot chocolate is charged in the MDR (which I do not think it is) then its charged for room service...

Perhaps they considered it a specialty drink and made 'real' hot chocolate as opposed to a packet based one?

Having cruised a lot in Alaska - Princess is very inconsistent with Hot Chocolate and pricing (even the packet mix). Sometimes they charged for it and other times it was free in the morning but not later. Sometimes free in Horizon Court and other times, not. It was incredibly inconsistent.

On other cruises, I have found them to be inconsistent also. I don't drink coffee or tea but when cold, I do like hot chocolate - even the ones in the packet which is what is served in the dining room but put in a silver serving container.

Edited by Coral

Having cruised a lot in Alaska - Princess is very inconsistent with Hot Chocolate and pricing (even the packet mix). Sometimes they charged for it and other times it was free in the morning but not later. Sometimes free in Horizon Court and other times, not. It was incredibly inconsistent.

On our Alaska cruise there was a free hot chocolate dispenser at the bar outside the buffet area.

980A06181012HotchocolateavailableatLidoBarDSC01313_zps4163197a.jpg

We leave in two weeks for a Transatlantic - hot chocolate might taste good some morning on our balcony. I have never thought about ordering it from room service but will check it out. I have not been very happy with our suite room service on our last three cruises. They have never screwed things up like they have been doing lately.

Until a few years ago my DD didn't drink coffee and the few times we ordered room service breakfast she would get hot chocolate. We always sail in suites and we were never charged anything extra. Over the years suite perks have been disappearing and if it is now policy that one has to pay extra for hot chocolate in a room service breakfast order, it's just a further erosion. We discovered a couple of years ago that by the time we added up all the extra things we have to pay for in a suite on Princess there is little or no difference in cost from that for a lovely cabin on a luxury line.

Until a few years ago my DD didn't drink coffee and the few times we ordered room service breakfast she would get hot chocolate. We always sail in suites and we were never charged anything extra.

Has nothing to do with being in a suite. A passenger in any cabin could order hot chocolate from room service at breakfast and not be charged.

So it appears that at least on this ship there is now a charge. Not an erosion of suite benefits, an erosion of benefits for all cruisers.

Even the coffee card which as been used for years for no-charge hot chocolate at the IC/lobby bar/etc. does not say hot chocolate is included on it. So if they are taking a punch for it now, it is a change to tradition, but not to what is promised on the card.

Has nothing to do with being in a suite. A passenger in any cabin could order hot chocolate from room service at breakfast and not be charged.

So it appears that at least on this ship there is now a charge. Not an erosion of suite benefits, an erosion of benefits for all cruisers.

Even the coffee card which as been used for years for no-charge hot chocolate at the IC/lobby bar/etc. does not say hot chocolate is included on it. So if they are taking a punch for it now, it is a change to tradition, but not to what is promised on the card.

I randomly brought up 2 room service breakfast cards from a google search and one had hot chocolate on it and another one didn't. The room service menu I brought up said "coffee, tea or milk".

Edited by Coral

I checked the Suite Breakfast hang tags for our cruises in 2012 and 2013 and hot chocolate was not an option. However, suite passengers can order off of the MDR breakfast menu during the hours the MDR is open. I believe hot chocolate is an option in the MDR during breakfast. If that is the case then hot chocolate should be complementary between 7:00 - 9:00 on port days and 7:30 - 9:3o on sea days.

If you sail on the Royal or the Regal there is complementary hot chocolate from a dispenser next to the coffee dispensers in the Horizon Court whenever the HC is open.

Edited by IECalCruiser

On other cruises, I have found them to be inconsistent also. I don't drink coffee or tea but when cold, I do like hot chocolate - even the ones in the packet which is what is served in the dining room but put in a silver serving container.

I'm going to agree with this. I got my DGS am ultimate package because he does love his hot chocolate. What annoyed me was when they put a powered package and added water. No, I paid for the actual making of it, just like a specialized coffee. I would buy it again because he really enjoyed being able to order what he wanted but in the future I would actual press them to make the drink I was paying for.