guarantee cabins

delgirl

To passengers booking with a UK travel agent, note that you are not able to change a guarantee cabin once assigned. This happened to us recently, whereby we advised the TA if we had booked in the US, that we could have requested a change, they contacted Celebrity, with no luck. We emailed the "concerns" celebrity email address, and also spoke with Celebrity Captains Club, however all the answers were that the terms and conditions when booking in the UK are different, and do not allow changes once the cabin has been assigned. We were trying to change from a 2B to another 2B, no change of category. The reason we booked this cruise in the UK was that the UK agents had better deals, however we are now aware of this rule in future if we consider a guarantee cabin booking in the UK.

Same for Australians. We cant change normal cabins either online.

To the OP, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for how/when Celebrity assigns their guarantees. I've received assignment within days of booking (even when it's been well outside the final payment date) and sometimes as close to 2 weeks prior to cruising.

Sometimes we get the category we took the guarantee in, sometimes we've gone up a category or two. Guess that's the fun/mystery of booking a guarantee.

Can someone explain where and when GTY's become available? We book FAR in advance so have never had the opportunity but might try this at some point in the future (retired, live in FL).

Are they available on the X website or do you have to call and inquire? Do you have to go through a TA? Thanks.

Guarantee rates do not always get offered, if a cruise isn't selling well it seems more likely to be offered a guarantee. The way I look for them is to just keep checking the prices on the Celebrity website. The clue is when you see a large price drop in one category, that usually means they are offering a guarantee rate.

Like Pushka, I'm on the Aug 1st Equinox. Final payment date is 5/18. No cabin assignment yet, lots of cabins still available. No idea when it will get assigned.

Edited by RickT

Hey RickT - we are both playing the waiting game then. I changed from Balcony to Aqua. Lost my initial deposit but final fare for Aqua is about the same. How about you?

Regular verandah. I had a cruise booked with Holland but when X brought back a PYP promo and some cash X became the better deal. I'm OK with whatever we get. We've normally been given a 2B but just because that's been our luck in the past doesn't mean that will be our luck going forward. The Aqua guarantee was there but I couldn't justify the extra $.

Weve booked two guarantee X cruises with UK agents and two non guarantee X cruises with a US agent. It depended on price and perks. The two UK ones have been within 3 months of sailing and offered great savings. On the first we were allocated a 1B Balcony and on our next cruise a 2B. Both in great positions. Both cabins were allocated around 5 days after booking. Weve previuosly sailed in a 2C partially obstructed balcony by choice and were very happy with the cabin. The bottom line has to be 'would you be happy being allocated the lowest grade within the guarantee cabin type given the saving made?' If you would then its not a gamble, its a saving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree, peyroutous. We just want the rules to be consistent, no matter which country you book with. After being allocated a guarantee cabin, and not being able to move within the category, we ended up paying a supplement to be upgraded. At first we were told this was not allowed, however our TA pursued our request with Celebrity, they relented and did accept the extra money from us to upgrade. There were no perks attached to the booking.

When we were on our Infinity TA in Oct 2013, we were told that Celebrity were endeavouring to make all terms and conditions consistent.

This obviously hasn't happened.

We once booked a group guarantee balcony for inside price. I asked when we paid ( booked directly with Celebrity) and she rang the next day with a cabin assignment which was mid ships 2A on the hump (Eclipse)

Edited by upwarduk

Hi we are first time cruisers on Celebrity but have cruised 8 times with other lines- 2 of which are out of business.

I booked 2 months ago when I saw a great rate & got the beverage package also. We booked an OV & went up 2 grades. They assigned the cabin the day after I booked. It was within final payment period so I had paid in full. They originally assigned us a new cabin far aft but I switched to a mid ship cabin. The aft cabin was one of the new add on but I thought mid ship would have been better. We'll see.

We have always booked a guarantee & have always gotten an upgrade. But we always book in off season. I understand most ships are full now so things are different. They were not back then.

So we'll see. Frankly we are boaters so anywhere on the ship was OK with us as turbulence doesn't bother us.

Regular verandah. I had a cruise booked with Holland but when X brought back a PYP promo and some cash X became the better deal. I'm OK with whatever we get. We've normally been given a 2B but just because that's been our luck in the past doesn't mean that will be our luck going forward. The Aqua guarantee was there but I couldn't justify the extra $.

Theres the thing. We booked a normal verandah ages ago and there was only a $200 difference for us to rebook the Aqua. So we were fine with the price. Those 123 perks are great hooks hey?

There are still lots of Aqua cabins available plus verandahs.

Edited by Pushka

is it through TA or can you find it on your booking on Celebrity site?

Are cabins only allocated after final payment? We have a Balcony Guarantee for a sailing on Solstice in March, 2016 and have only paid deposit, final payment in December but would like to know cabin assignment ASAP. Thanks.:rolleyes:

I made final payment Tuesday and received allocation today. Monday next week is actual final payment day. I was expecting A2 but allocated an A1 and in a good location (there are many that are obstructed by equipment or noisy under the treadmills in the gym or under the main pool. Ours is under the Aqua cafe area (not the kitchen) and on the spreadsheet people have said it is quiet.

I booked through Celebrity but can also see the GTY being offered on TA sites.

Edited by Pushka

is it through TA or can you find it on your booking on Celebrity site?

Are cabins only allocated after final payment? We have a Balcony Guarantee for a sailing on Solstice in March, 2016 and have only paid deposit, final payment in December but would like to know cabin assignment ASAP. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Hi we had our cabin allocated within the week we booked,was quicker than we expected and final payment isn't due til Sep.

If you go to 'My Celebrity' on the website you can add your cruise to there and it should show what cabin you have been assigned when they have decided what it is.Sometimes it's already there for you to see.We have booked through a TA,but you can see your reservation though on the website. :)

We received the email from Celebrity immediately it was assigned. I'd checked a couple of hours earlier and it was still unallocated.

We had no notification I just happened to see it on our booking on the website,I suppose it depends on who is handling the booking with Celebrity as to how it happens.

The main thing is we have a cabin yay. :)

We had no notification I just happened to see it on our booking on the website,I suppose it depends on who is handling the booking with Celebrity as to how it happens.

The main thing is we have a cabin yay. :)

Agree. While we got a great price by doing the GTY it is also great to be allocated in advance.

On the same sailing as Pushka. Final payment due the 18th. Got a cabin assigned, called up and changed to a different cabin in the same category.

Upgrading to AQ would have been lots of $.

On the same sailing as Pushka. Final payment due the 18th. Got a cabin assigned, called up and changed to a different cabin in the same category.

Upgrading to AQ would have been lots of $.

Thats good you were able to change. We cant in Australia.

As we made an original booking a year ago the prices had fallen so much our original price we were paying was the same as the rebooked GTY for significant upgrade. We had nothing to lose.

We've only booked guarantee 3 times, all the others we've picked a cabin.

1st time we booked a guarantee balcony, git assigned an obstructed view but a week before they moved us to a 1a

2nd time they allocated us a concierge hump

3rd time we booked concierge guarantee and it was allocated and 2 days before they moved us to a sky suite

We've done pretty well with these and each time the fist cabin has been allocated in 24 hours.

However were still booking cabin numbers as we can't get the free drinks on them and it works out more cost effective to pay that bit more to get the free drinks that would cost us a lot more on top of the guarantee.

We've only booked guarantee 3 times, all the others we've picked a cabin.

1st time we booked a guarantee balcony, git assigned an obstructed view but a week before they moved us to a 1a

2nd time they allocated us a concierge hump

3rd time we booked concierge guarantee and it was allocated and 2 days before they moved us to a sky suite

We've done pretty well with these and each time the fist cabin has been allocated in 24 hours.

However were still booking cabin numbers as we can't get the free drinks on them and it works out more cost effective to pay that bit more to get the free drinks that would cost us a lot more on top of the guarantee.

When we booked it was in the VIP double upgrade Sale and we also received the Classic Bev Package. Have only paid the deposit about 10 days ago, booking is on the website but no cabin allocation as yet, or if it is there I can't see it!!!

Would love to get an upgrade but will have to wait and see.:)

Edited by KazAllen

We booked a cruise in an inside cabin several months ago. About six weeks ago I noticed that they had guarantee balconies for only $200 pp more than we had paid, so I called Celebrity and upgraded. On Friday we were assigned a 2c which was what we had expected. Upon checking available cabins I spotted a 'sweet sixteen' cabin and was able to switch to that.

While I am very happy with the result, it does seem ludicrous to me that I can save money by booking a guarantee, then select a cabin that would have cost me $600 pp more if I had booked it when I booked the guarantee and actually $800 more today. However, I will not complain about such a good outcome, and will continue to monitor prices on the other cruises we have booked.

Sheila

We booked a cruise in an inside cabin several months ago. About six weeks ago I noticed that they had guarantee balconies for only $200 pp more than we had paid, so I called Celebrity and upgraded. On Friday we were assigned a 2c which was what we had expected. Upon checking available cabins I spotted a 'sweet sixteen' cabin and was able to switch to that.

While I am very happy with the result, it does seem ludicrous to me that I can save money by booking a guarantee, then select a cabin that would have cost me $600 pp more if I had booked it when I booked the guarantee and actually $800 more today. However, I will not complain about such a good outcome, and will continue to monitor prices on the other cruises we have booked.

Sheila

Lol, on another thread you would be accused of being morally dishonest!! Congrats on getting a great deal, that's the way celebrity has designed the game. Have a great cruise.

We also recently booked a guarantee, and a few days later were assigned a cabin at the very front on the ship. We were able to switch to our preferred location, near midship. I hope I was not being dishonest or too "me, me, me", as others have been accused of on another thread.

We also recently booked a guarantee, and a few days later were assigned a cabin at the very front on the ship. We were able to switch to our preferred location, near midship. I hope I was not being dishonest or too "me, me, me", as others have been accused of on another thread.

No, I would switch if I could and was unhappy about the location. After all, you are still only taking a cabin that hasn't been sold yet and was in the pool. I consider you lucky as only USA and maybe Canadians can switch after allocation.

No, I would switch if I could and was unhappy about the location. After all, you are still only taking a cabin that hasn't been sold yet and was in the pool. I consider you lucky as only USA and maybe Canadians can switch after allocation.

Ditto.

I was surprised (and happy) when my travel agent told me we could switch after the cabin was assigned.