Gluten Free Sailing

My wife just found out she has celiac disease and cannot eat gluten. She now has to make some major adjustments in her diet and eating out. What should she expect on Royal Caribbean in gluten free options? Is her food choices going to be very limited?

Some info and email address:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Health+%26+Safety&faqId=322&faqSubjectId=335&faqType=faq

Wherever you dine you need to give them a heads up on board. In the Main Dining Room let your server know.... as you'll have told RCCL they should already be aware. The specific items you can choose will be noted on the menu each night. At breakfast in the MDR let your server know. You can request GF pancakes, french toast, bagels, muffins (get the muffins to go for a snack later!) On sea days lunch in the MDR is wonderful.... just be sure to point out to the servers at the Tutti Salad bar that you need GF dressing on that salad.

In the buffet ask to speak to the chef who will walk her through what she can eat. The servers will not know and whilst they will try their best are not necessarily reliable. Mashed potato and french fries in the buffet will likely have gluten on them..... ask specifically....

You can get GF cupcakes at the Cupcake store (sooooo good!!) and GF pizza at Sorrentos (mnomnmomnmomn) if your ship has these.

If you go to a specialty restaurant give them advance warning that you are coming..... Johnny Rockets will have GF buns....

I've never gone hungry... just be aware of cross contamination in the buffet.

Happy to answer questions.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Wherever you dine you need to give them a heads up on board. In the Main Dining Room let your server know.... as you'll have told RCCL they should already be aware. The specific items you can choose will be noted on the menu each night. At breakfast in the MDR let your server know. You can request GF pancakes, french toast, bagels, muffins (get the muffins to go for a snack later!) On sea days lunch in the MDR is wonderful.... just be sure to point out to the servers at the Tutti Salad bar that you need GF dressing on that salad.

In the buffet ask to speak to the chef who will walk her through what she can eat. The servers will not know and whilst they will try their best are not necessarily reliable. Mashed potato and french fries in the buffet will likely have gluten on them..... ask specifically....

You can get GF cupcakes at the Cupcake store (sooooo good!!) and GF pizza at Sorrentos (mnomnmomnmomn) if your ship has these.

If you go to a specialty restaurant give them advance warning that you are coming..... Johnny Rockets will have GF buns....

I've never gone hungry... just be aware of cross contamination in the buffet.

Happy to answer questions.

Linda

Hi! I have cruised twice as a Celiac and never had any problems. And thank you for all of your insight, Linda, you helped me immensely before my 1st GF cruise! Just a question about Johnny Rocket's....shall I ask the day before for a gf bun or earlier the same day? And as far as safe items, what else besides the burger is available? I had fries from the MDR once that were safe, but haven't done JR's. Thanks for the info!

I have a tendency to advise based on my worst experience.

Tell JR that you are coming. Give them notice once you know when you might be going.... and tell someone in the know there..... I'm afraid my particular experience was not good..... was on Adventure a few years back now and they ended up bringing me JR food to the MDR where I had defaulted to when they said they couldn't serve me (despite having been given a heads up) so I can't really advise what they are currently able to offer.

It was yummy regardless.

IMG_0934.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Thank you! I can eat a burger with no bun! Usually the GF bread is not that great anyway!

Could not agree with you more..... I describe it as eating the packaging Amazon uses to send books out. Even toasted. The bagels are ok toasted.

Unless you've got the head chef I had on Freedom who made special bread daily.... different flavours, foccacias, styles.... incredible.

I get upset sometimes at not being able to snack like other cruisers..... on Freedom they delivered cupcakes to my room so I didn't have to pay for them...they'd just be there on a plate....

You can usually get Udi GF cookies at a cafe on board.

Thank you! I can eat a burger with no bun! Usually the GF bread is not that great anyway!

Be sure to ask for a gluten free burger! On coco cay , I requested a gluten free bun, the server told me that he would also get a gluten free burger for me...guess the reg ones contain breading....the bun wasnt so good...but the burger was very yummy!!

I had a hit and miss experience this past weekend on enchantment...in the windjammer, some servers wanted to help, others acted clueless. Much better experience in chops and the MDR. Deserts..you can count on creme brulee!!

Be aware that something that sounds Gluten free may well not be.

Did you know there is GF mustard/ GF ketchup? Prime rib may have marinade with gluten. That there is gluten in Nori used in Sushi? In most cases even beef and chicken broth have gluten?

We found all of this out on an NCL cruise. So much gluten hidden in all sorts of innocent looking menu items.

I feel your wife's pain. I was diagnosed w/celiac 2 years ago & was absolutely terrified to go on my first post-diagnosis cruise. But, the crew (and food) were great and I safely ate & drank all week w/o getting sick. A few suggestions:

1) make sure your travel agent puts a note in your reservation that she is gluten-free

2) on embarkation day, head straight to the dining room & speak with the Maître D. They will make sure a note is on your reservation & will notify your head waiter & server.

3) at each dinner, ask your headwaiter for the next day's menu....she can preorder her food so that it is ready at the same time as everyone else's. And, they prepare everything in a special area to reduce risk of cross-contamination.

4) Pack snacks...gf protein bars, chips, etc. to take with her on excursions, walking in port, etc. That way, if she doesn't find anything safe, she will have something to eat.

They have pretty decent gf bread at dinner, and plenty of gf offerings on the menu every day. In the WJ, I approached the manager on the first day of the cruise. From that point on, every time I went in there, I would track him down and he would take my order and have them prepare food for me off the buffet line. She'll do great!

If you go to the MDR for lunch/breakfast try to sit in your evening server's area if they are on for service. My BIL has CD. Only place we had problems the last cruise we took was at lunch in the MDR. Random servers not understanding GF- trying to tell him that Herve available GF icon didn't mean that - even had a head waiter be a bit confused- but he went to ask the kitchen instead of flat out noing everything. Our evening waiter said to just ask for his section for the rest of the cruise - much easier.

He did eat in JR without issue - we had called before going. He could have the milkshake, but I think the fries were the same fryer as the onion rings so he couldn't eat those at JR.

On Explorer the promenade cafe had GF pizza, but you have to ask for it (they also had the pre packaged gf cookies).

The ships we've been in with them all make the bread daily. He likes it.

I they went to the buffet (DH and I avoid it) and grabs a chef to help. I know when we take my mum and deal with her allergies we take a card with the items and pictures to help.

He does mark it in his profile and I think he still calls the special needs dept before the cruise to have things noted in the dinning room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MonDreamr1

• 9 months later...

I have cruised twice in Grandeur with Coeliac. If you talk to the chef in windjammer they will make you fresh gluten free pancakes which are fabulous. The solarium Park Cafe might have gluten free Kettle chips and at night should be able to make you gluten free pizza if you ask in advance. On Grandeur the bread was good, but that was a while ago. The curry at lunch in windjammer is usually gluten free as are the steak fries. I was on splendour in November and felt the choice at dinner was very poor. This is unusual in my experience as they are usually very willing to make adjustments to the items not marked gluten free. Plenty of choice for mains but starters were predominantly melon or prawn based and desert was fruit or crime brûlée. Really boring after a week! They used to make a flourless chocolate cake and would make pancake stacks etc. I am back on splendour next month and hope I have a better and more helpful waiter as I think that us what makes the difference.

If you search for gluten free under the Royal Caribbean area you will find lots of positive posts. Three kinds if bread at dinner (two were delicious), bagels, pancakes, french toast, Hamburg buns, Udis cookies, two kinds of cupcakes at the cupcakery daily, specially made key lime and tiramusu desserts, gf beer (omission), , hard cider, lots of dinner choices, the only disappointment is that the GF pizza was as bad as the regular pizza. Most worry free vacation my daughter has had since diagnosis.

Edited by MommaBear55

Try Plexus to help with Celiac. Research Plexus testimonies for Celiac disease.

Amazing results for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, but the only proven tx for celiac disease is a total gluten-free lifestyle. I'm really looking for feedback about gluten-free options/tips onboard. [emoji4]

If you search for gluten free under the Royal Caribbean area you will find lots of positive posts. Three kinds if bread at dinner (two were delicious), bagels, pancakes, french toast, Hamburg buns, Udis cookies, two kinds of cupcakes at the cupcakery daily, specially made key lime and tiramusu desserts, gf beer (omission), , hard cider, lots of dinner choices, the only disappointment is that the GF pizza was as bad as the regular pizza. Most worry free vacation my daughter has had since diagnosis.

This is great. Thanks. It's only my second cruise post-celiac diagnosis, and I was so sick the first time around that I could only eat a very restricted list of foods. Glad to hear there is such variety!

I have posted many times on this topic... Am celiac who must also avoid dairy. Do a thread search using the term "celiac."

I recommend Royal's Chef's Table for a special dining experience. Just notify the chef when you make your reservation.

Great. Will definitely search celiac & see what else I can find. I also have to avoid dairy, so it's good to know you've had success with both. Chefs table sounds amazing...I had automatically written it off thinking that they wouldn't be able to accommodate. That's exciting to hear it's a possibility!