Ibs

silver service

I suffer from IBS and have done so for 25years, so I have a lot of sympathy for your wife. Mine is not food-related (or doesn't seem to be) so I just eat normally and hope for the best. I have to do things like always get a seat on the end of a row in the theatre, just in case I have to dash out. I also have to set my alarm to wake up at least 2 hours before leaving the ship in the morning (the same as at home if I'm going out anywhere.) On port days I order breakfast in the cabin. I am always nervous about booking excursions which involve coach travel, but again I just hope for the best. It is not nice, people who have no experience of IBS cannot possibly understand the stress of always having to know where the nearest loo is, just in case.

I'm afraid I can't really offer you any more advice.

I suffer from IBS and have done so for 25years, so I have a lot of sympathy for your wife. Mine is not food-related (or doesn't seem to be) so I just eat normally and hope for the best. I have to do things like always get a seat on the end of a row in the theatre, just in case I have to dash out. I also have to set my alarm to wake up at least 2 hours before leaving the ship in the morning (the same as at home if I'm going out anywhere.) On port days I order breakfast in the cabin. I am always nervous about booking excursions which involve coach travel, but again I just hope for the best. It is not nice, people who have no experience of IBS cannot possibly understand the stress of always having to know where the nearest loo is, just in case.

I'm afraid I can't really offer you any more advice.

Oh my, I could have written that word for word :p

I've missed two booked and paid for excursions because of it.

I don't understand why they can't use coaches with loos onboard for shore excursions. It would not only be reassuring for anyone who may need quick access to a loo for medical reasons, but also save a lot of time in toilet stops on longer excursions; often there are toilets along the route but additional stops are made in case people need to go on the journey; having a loo onboard would be beneficial in every way.

Also, don't mistake IBS for Diverticular disease. 50% of people over 50 get DD. I have it quite badly and thought it was IBS. I ended up in the medical unit when leaving Newfoundland and had to have antibiotics and fluids.

For both, stay away from nuts, coffee and alcohol, they are all irritants for IBS or DD.

I don't understand why they can't use coaches with loos onboard for shore excursions. It would not only be reassuring for anyone who may need quick access to a loo for medical reasons, but also save a lot of time in toilet stops on longer excursions; often there are toilets along the route but additional stops are made in case people need to go on the journey; having a loo onboard would be beneficial in every way.

Because in some countries they do not have coaches with toilets.

They have to use local coaches , and some can be pretty basic.

Also the driver has to empty them. We have been on coaches before and the driver has requested that the onboard loo is only used in an emergency. If they we used as a matter of course they would get full, then you would have no toilet..

I have suffered for 30yrs with IBS and there are many differing reports out there of which particular food that causes it and like most things everybody is different and like many illnesses what affects one might not affect others. If she has suffered for a time then she has adjusted or food to what affects her so it would be no difference on a ship.

I have had IBS type symptoms in episodes for over 3 years. Still not diagnosed though and I am in the middle of lots of tests and investigations. I avoid excursions if i can as i might have to cancel at short notice. Nothing spoils a day more than going ashore and 20 mins later having to make your painful way back to the ship.