Is 19th September too late?

smedley_odwin

Hi Guys.

Alaska is on my must do list for cruises. I've seen a deal on NCL for next September, it's a repositioning cruise, so out of Vancouver for 11 nights finishing in San Diego, the price is good, and I like the idea of then being able to visit San Diego and LA after the cruise, but I'm worried that the dates seem later than anyone else is cruising Alaska?

Just looking for some advice as to whether the days are going to be really short, whether sightseeing is likely to be impacted, and (this is the most important thing) if whale watching is still going to be an option.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

look at a sunrise/sunset table. Sunset is around 6:30pm. http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

Some vendors will have closed down so check to see if planned activities are available.

My biggest concern would be the weather. Weather is always unpredictable but after late August there's always a chance of a Fall storm. A storm would be miserable ... rain, strong winds, rough seas.

Edited by mapleleaves

Hi Guys.

Just looking for some advice as to whether the days are going to be really short, whether sightseeing is likely to be impacted, and (this is the most important thing) if whale watching is still going to be an option.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

There are lots of sunrise-sunset programs on Google. Check them out to find out. You should be aware that many shops will be closed then but the ones that are open will probably give you really good prices.

Re the tours, check out some of them on Google and call them to ask.

DON

My biggest concern would be the weather. Weather is always unpredictable but after late August there's always a chance of a Fall storm. A storm would be miserable ... rain, strong winds, rough seas.
Another vote for weather... A friend's September cruise meant the ship could not dock in stormy Ketchikan. Some excursions shut down in early September. There's a reason why September cruises are priced lower than July/August.

Sept, has the worse weather potential of the Alaska cruise season. It will be dark by 7pm. Some tours will be closed down, including Glacier Dog Sledding. The lack of daylight is significant with impacting scenic sailing.

Being well prepared in your attire is essential, and having realistic weather expectations. Expect temps 40-60, ave. 3 out of 7 days of rain. No way to predict any weather. :)

I've gone several times with these later cruises, but always- I had also gone earlier the same year.

Yes, you can easily see humpbacks, they don't migrate until about November.

Wildlife does not care if it is raining.

Since the cruise ports in Southeast Alaska are in a rainforest, there is always a daily threat of rain. September is just a higher probability of rain.

Since most kids are in school, it will be hard to find any on board in September. All of the port shops will be open as long as there are ships are heading their way. The sales are incredible in port as well as on board (75 - 90% off).

Wildlife does not care if it is raining.

The wildlife may not care but standing outside in the cold wet rain watching wet wildlife is not fun.

On one driving trip to Alaska in July and August, we had 7 days straight of rain. We were in Ketchikan for 3 days of continuous rain. We actually spent one whole day in the Prince Rupert library reading books as there was nothing else to do and the library was warm and dry. I was about ready to get in the car and drive the 2000 miles home to Vegas where I knew that it would be sunny and warm.

My wife convinced me that the rain would stop sometime and of course she was right. The rain stopped. The sun came out. The rest of the trip was great.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We went on our Alaskan cruise last September and prepared for rain and cooler weather because that's all that we heard about. From the day we started our trip in Seattle until the day we completed our cruise in Vancouver and spent two full days there, which was a total trip of 12 days we never saw the first rain drop. The temps were so warm most days shorts would have been perfect. I ended up shedding layers of clothes after only a few hours in ports. Every port we went to all the locals said that we had the most perfect weather and it was so unusual that that time of year. So you just never know what the weather is going to be. We were ready for rain but had just the opposite. Enjoy your cruise no matter what the weather is. [emoji1]

We cruised to Alaska in the middle of Sept. in 2013 and the weather was gorgeous the whole time. We didn't have one day of rain. We saw lots of whales on our whale watching tour in Juneau as well as while cruising. When we were on the fishing boat in Ketchikan, it was so warm I thought we were surely in Florida. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise that time of year again.

In 2011 we booked a Sept 18th cruise on HAL out of Seward. We had a beautiful DIY trip in Denali, Fairbanks, and Girdwood before heading for the Statendam. It was ALL downhill from there. It started raining as we approached Seward on the train and then poured as we boarded the ship. It was 2 1/2 days before we left port due to bad weather. We had to skip the 2 scheduled glaciers, Skagway, and Ketchikan. The only port we ended up visiting was Juneau. No one was allowed to use their balconies, the pools never opened up, and we could not use the outdoor decks due to 35 ft seas. This was as close to being a prisoner as I ever been! We were told the weather was a result of a typhoon off of Japan. I figured this must have been a rare occurrence, but was surprised to hear from tour operators on our cruise last August, that ports are skipped often later in the season due to weather.

We have taken 4 Alaskan cruises:

2 in early June-loved the long days and great prices

1 in late August-loved the bears munching on salmon in Haines, but we did run into many streams with dead/dying and rotting salmon, wonderful calving in Glacier bay, but daylight hours much shorter than June which really cut into scenery/wildlife watching from ship

1 in mid September (the last sailing of the season) which we chose in hopes of catching the Northern Lights. Living in Florida, I know better than to risk a September cruise because of hurricanes....little did I know that the same can apply to Alaskan cruises! We will NEVER risk another mid September Alaskan cruise. We learned our lesson the hard way!! :mad:

The last couple of years, September has been wonderful....Temps in the 50;s and 60's....but that is our summer temps here on the coast also. Most of the tourist venues close on September 15th or so....but not all....One of the pluses is that September is usually a great month for seeing the Northern lights...Restaurants are open...Denali closes early and there may be snow, but September is a great month to see bears....they love rotting salmon....It is also the best month for trout fishing...like humdinger trout that can be 35" long and weigh close to 25#.....so yes, it might rain....and it might not....but in my experience of living here for a gazillion years, you are more apt to have rain in July and August. Those traditionally are considered our rainy months..That said, weather patterns are changing....right now it is near 50 degrees and my tulips are up north of Anchorage....so anything can happen.....and probably will...

The last couple of years, September has been wonderful....Temps in the 50;s and 60's....but that is our summer temps here on the coast also. Most of the tourist venues close on September 15th or so....but not all....One of the pluses is that September is usually a great month for seeing the Northern lights...Restaurants are open...Denali closes early and there may be snow, but September is a great month to see bears....they love rotting salmon....It is also the best month for trout fishing...like humdinger trout that can be 35" long and weigh close to 25#.....so yes, it might rain....and it might not....but in my experience of living here for a gazillion years, you are more apt to have rain in July and August. Those traditionally are considered our rainy months..That said, weather patterns are changing....right now it is near 50 degrees and my tulips are up north of Anchorage....so anything can happen.....and probably will...

Can you give some tips on seeing the northern lights? We will be on the NCL Jewel Sept. 5th - 12th and will only be going as far north as Skagway.

Can you give some tips on seeing the northern lights? We will be on the NCL Jewel Sept. 5th - 12th and will only be going as far north as Skagway.

The "tips" are, to daily, check the prediction stats. I recommend the Fairbanks U Geophysical site. Daily- I've said it again. :) You need to have an "active" prediction. Then invest a number of hours in the middle of the night. Sorry, don't ask "what time". there isn't a clock when they turn on. You do HAVE to have CLEAR dark skys. IF you can't see stars, and see clouds instead- go back to bed. Even a full moon can impact on viewing.

The "tips" are, to daily, check the prediction stats. I recommend the Fairbanks U Geophysical site. Daily- I've said it again. :) You need to have an "active" prediction. Then invest a number of hours in the middle of the night. Sorry, don't ask "what time". there isn't a clock when they turn on. You do HAVE to have CLEAR dark skys. IF you can't see stars, and see clouds instead- go back to bed. Even a full moon can impact on viewing.

Thanks so much BQ for the tips. I have only had one really good look at the northern lights and they were spectacular. I was on a fishing trip in Canada in early August about 15 years ago and the only reason I was able to see them was that a couple of the guys on the trip were snoring like logs so I got up and went out side for a while. Lost a couple of hours sleep but it is something I will always remember.

BQ is absolutely correct....If anyone is interested in seeing some wonderful Northern Lights pictures, go to Jan DeNapoli's

FB. She is a Photographer in Fairbanks....as well as a charter captain in Valdez and a dog musher in the winter...Fantastic photos...You have to have a clear night and an active solar storm...and you have to be willing to stay up at night...but September is usually a great month to see lights...I have to say, they are way better on a dog sled in the mid of winter...:)