More Alaskan cruise questions

Thecat3902

We are seriously contemplating an Alaskan cruise for next June. We are looking at royal Caribbean, Ncl, and carnival. Do you all suggest the northbound, southbound, or round trip to Seattle cruise? I like the round trip idea of the same port because of airfare prices. Do you see more on a one way going from Vancouver to Seward? Also Ncl has the best rates when you factor in the freestyle choice promotion right now but it looks like they don't have things like retractable roof pools. Did any of you feel like you even had time to swim since it seems like you would spend a lot of time watching the scenery from the boat? Also what would one expect for dinner in terms of clothing and even formal nights? I am thinking it is pretty cool at night so more fall winter type clothing.

We have done two Alaska cruises. One round trip, Seattle, on the NCL Pearl the other R/T Vancouver on the HAL Zuiderdam. We much preferred Vancouver. It is a beautiful, upbeat city and a great jumping off point for Alaska. JMHO, but I wouldn't worry too much about the ship. The great thing about going to Alaska is being able to wrap yourself up in the incredible beauty that constantly surrounds you. My suggestion would be that you concentrate most heavily on the itinerary of each ship you're considering and the shore excursions (either thru the ship or independent) that appeal to you most. One last suggestion, look for a ship that goes to Glacier Bay. Truly incredible.

The advantage of any NCL cruise is that you NEVER have to dress up for dinner so you can pack far less stuff. You can wear pants and a nice top or sweater for dinner every night. During the day in Alaska, wear jeans, t shirts and sweatshirts and bring a rain coat with a hood.

If you are cruising on a Jewel class ship, in The Haven, there is a retractable roof pool for Haven guests. The other pool is out on an open deck However, I can't imagine spending much time by the pool in Alaska. In fact, I've been twice and never actually seen anyone in the pool on an Alaska cruise or sitting around in swimsuits by the pool. Alaska cruises are distinctly different from Caribbean cruises as they are all about the scenery and wildlife. It is fun to go to the spa during these cruises if they have a thalisotherapy pool and dry sauna and steam room (which most NCL ships have.)

I do want to suggest you consider going later in the season than June however as the glaciers have to thaw to allow the ship the best access to Glacier Bay. I would also advise you to consider a cruise plus land trip that included Denali. Edited by SuiteTraveler

One way always gives you more scenic cruise, do it from Vancouver and you often get two scenic days, round trip usually just one glacier scenic. IMHO well worth the extra cost, but if you get Glacier won't miss too much.

Value and price are very personal, but I would prioritize the scenic cruising over the cruiseline as long as budget is met. IMHO pool time will be limited, yes indoor is a must even in summer!

Ships are heated and AC, what you wear for formal night is very different than what you will need/want for pool/outdoors. I didn't detect much difference in formal/elegant night between a cruise to Alaska or Caribbean for the most part.

I wouldn't take a one-way cruise to or from Alaska unless I had several days to tour the state while I was there. It doesn't seem worthwhile to fly that long distance and immediately get onto the ship (or get off the ship and immediately fly back home).

If you don't want to participate in formal nights in the dining room, there are various places you can eat on the non-NCL ships. Cruise ships have relaxed the enforcement of dress codes. You won't see many men wearing tuxedos on an Alaskan cruise.

[quote name='Thecat3902']We are seriously contemplating an Alaskan cruise for next June. We are looking at royal Caribbean, Ncl, and carnival. Do you all suggest the northbound, southbound, or round trip to Seattle cruise? I like the round trip idea of the same port because of airfare prices. Do you see more on a one way going from Vancouver to Seward? Also Ncl has the best rates when you factor in the freestyle choice promotion right now but it looks like they don't have things like retractable roof pools. Did any of you feel like you even had time to swim since it seems like you would spend a lot of time watching the scenery from the boat? Also what would one expect for dinner in terms of clothing and even formal nights? I am thinking it is pretty cool at night so more fall winter type clothing.[/quote]

If you are serious about researching an Alaska cruise, you need to spend some time reading on the Alaska Ports of Call forum here:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55[/url]

There are many threads there about the benefits of round trip, northbound, southbound itineraries :) There are also many posters who are experts on Alaska.

Another poster said:

[QUOTE]I do want to suggest you consider going later in the season than June however as the glaciers have to thaw to allow the ship the best access to Glacier Bay. [/QUOTE]

... and I think that poster may be confused between Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay. Sometimes the ship can't get into Tracy Arm due to ice conditions.

I also agree about getting on the Alaska board. I went to Alaska on a ship with a retractable roof. If you are looking at this for KIDS, the that would be a plus. There were so many kids in the pool that the pool became a non issue. The sounds really echo when the roof is closed. The pool just isn't the feature on an Alaskan cruise.