Temporary complete loss of power ship-wide on Enchantment

Just off the 4/10/15 sailing of Enchantment. On the last night (4/12) at about 8pm there was a flickering of the lights. Then, about a minute later the entire ship lost all power. Some emergency lighting came on (mostly exit signs and very, very few dim lights here and there). The props stopped as well. There was an eerie, noticeable stillness to the ship with no generators or

Props turning. This lasted for about ten minutes and then the power was restored.

Shortly thereafter, the captain made an announcement that they did not know what caused the complete power failure; however, the engineer was looking at it and the props were once again turning.

The lights did flicker here and there later that night but the power did not go out again.

Anyone else ever experience this on a cruise? This was our 12th cruise and we have never had this happen before... (My wife thinks we jinxed it because we were on our balcony looking at the Carnival Ectasy going by and it looked so slow we kept joking that it had a power failure! :eek:)

No. I wanted to inquire more about it. But we were running around to catch a show and then picking up our daughter from Adventure Ocean and then packing (last night), etc etc etc. I was going to ask this morning but I didn't get the chance.

Another weird (ok not weird but a little odd) thing was that the Ben and Jerrys side of Latte-tudes was closed for the entire cruise from embarkation on. There was a sign that the freezer was broken and it was therefore closed. In really surprised that they could not get a refrigerator repair person or replacement freezer on turnaround day. Some people were pretty bummed. And they probably lost a revenue stream.

All in all it was a good cruise, even with some creep stealing my wife's birthday magnet from our door (there really are some creeps out threre....)

Our third time on Enchantment. It was ourvery first ship 15 years ago so it holds some sentimental value.

Edited by robflys

No. I wanted to inquire more about it. But we were running around to catch a show and then picking up our daughter from Adventure Ocean and then packing (last night), etc etc etc. I was going to ask this morning but I didn't get the chance.

Another weird (ok not weird but a little odd) thing was that the Ben and Jerrys side of Latte-tudes was closed for the entire cruise from embarkation on. There was a sign that the freezer was broken and it was therefore closed. In really surprised that they could not get a refrigerator repair person or replacement freezer on turnaround day. Some people were pretty bummed. And they probably lost a revenue stream.

All in all it was a good cruise, even with some creep stealing my wife's birthday magnet from our door (there really are some creeps out threre....)

Our third time on Enchantment. It was ourvery first ship 15 years ago so it holds some sentimental value.

The freezer was broken on our cruise on March 16'th. Doesn't seem like they are in a hurry to fix it.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Sorry you didn't get an explanation for anything. I can tell you, from years of refrigeration/HVAC work, the freezer problem could be very legitimate. Would depend on if the problem is on a small reach in freezer, or larger walk in freezer. A larger walk in freezer can hold thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of product that could be lost quickly if unable to be transferred to another freezer at the same temperature (ice cream, BTW, does need to be stored at 0 degrees F to maintain quality. Variations in temperature can cause thawing/refreeze or cause the water molecules to solidly more and give the ice cream a grainy texture. Also dependent on butterfat content.). Anyway, being that these ships are built in Europe, if a model specific part is needed and not available on board, then the repair may not be possible. I've found over the years, that while some US made pieces of equipment can use fairly generic parts, some parts are simply going to be specialized. If European branded equipment is utilized, and there are no distributors in the US, then parts availability may be zero.

Anyone else ever experience this on a cruise? This was our 12th cruise and we have never had this happen before... (My wife thinks we jinxed it because we were on our balcony looking at the Carnival Ectasy going by and it looked so slow we kept joking that it had a power failure! :eek:)

We lost partial electrics on Quantum in Feb. for about 4 hours. Affected 4 restaurants and some other spaces. Was caused by a water waste system over flow into one of the panels, so they had to shut the panel down. They comped drinks for 4 hours, gave us OBC, and. $275 future cruise credit. Think on my next cruise I'll short out part of the system. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have lost power for about half an hour on our first cruise, wife was freaking out lol, it all worked out and got a free bottle of cheap wine, I'm sure it's not that uncommon

*Living large one week at a time*

At least the Enchanment next year will be closer to you porting in Miami.:D