Time of Year/Max Capacity

staceyv64

I am planning to sail on Breakaway something this summer. I was leaning either toward the June 21st or the August 23rd sailing.

In your expert opinions, which sail date would have less capacity (ok, ok....kids)? I am a solo traveler, 51, and would like to enjoy a trip to Bermuda without lots and lots of kids.

I was thinking the August 23rd sailing because everyone is getting ready to go back to school, but I also know most schools start after Labor Day and Labor day is late this year. That was why I came back to June 21st, but then I know schools will be letting out. The August 30 sail date is not an option for me because I actually go to school too (masters program) and can't miss the first week of classes.

Thoughts and opinions? :D

I was on The Getaway on the 14th of June last year, the weekend after lots of schools let out for the summer. There were lots and lots of kids on board.

I would lean toward your August 23rd date. Across the country many school years being in mid August or practice for the upcoming school sports begin.

I would go the Aug route, as a mom of 4 . We do sometimes go away for Labor Day but it's usually very low key beach weekend. This is how most of our friends do too. We are in the Boston area and we go to maine, lots of friends do a few days in maine, NH or the cape just to relax and get a last min getaway. Most aren't taking huge cruise vacations

I was on The Getaway on the 14th of June last year, the weekend after lots of schools let out for the summer. There were lots and lots of kids on board.

I would lean toward your August 23rd date. Across the country many school years being in mid August or practice for the upcoming school sports begin.

Thanks so much! I forgot about sports!

OP, how's your sea legs as far as storm management in the 'unlikely' event of storms & rough sea conditions - far & deeper into the Atlantic for the islands. Odds are higher for running into weather fronts & systems later into the official hurricane season :D :eek: each year - I haven't seen this year's forecast yet.

Just saying - the BA is a a beast & we had just 15' large waves for 3/4 of a day and barely blinked for us all the forward on deck 10 (well ahead of those Studio cabins near us)

Depending on your how you spend your days & evenings while at sea - your contacts with them might not be a big factor and once you are at Dockyard, they will be off to the beaches & various parts of the island.

If you stick with August, might want to take into consideration going for specific deck/cabin location unless it's a GTY. Enjoy the cruise ;)

OP, how's your sea legs as far as storm management in the 'unlikely' event of storms & rough sea conditions - far & deeper into the Atlantic for the islands. Odds are higher for running into weather fronts & systems later into the official hurricane season :D :eek: each year - I haven't seen this year's forecast yet.

Just saying - the BA is a a beast & we had just 15' large waves for 3/4 of a day and barely blinked for us all the forward on deck 10 (well ahead of those Studio cabins near us)

Depending on your how you spend your days & evenings while at sea - your contacts with them might not be a big factor and once you are at Dockyard, they will be off to the beaches & various parts of the island.

If you stick with August, might want to take into consideration going for specific deck/cabin location unless it's a GTY. Enjoy the cruise ;)

I haven't tried out my sea legs lately, but I do recall sleeping like a baby when there was some rocking! I read that this year's hurricane season is supposed to be light compared to prior years. Hopefully I will luck out!

While I don't relish the idea of no natural light, booking anything other than a studio will cost a fortune. And I am kinda looking forward to some "alone" time. :D

Some schools are out as early as mid May, and go back in early to mid August. Others are out in mid to late June and go back after Labor day. IMO the bottom line is you are goi9ng to have LOTS of kids either sailing.

I think you are going to have kids either way on those dates.

I know my schools last date is the 21st for students 23rd for teachers of June, so you may have some kids but some schools are just ending the day you would leave.

For August, even though Labor Day is late this year some schools are starting before Labor Day around the 2-4th so you may run into families trying to get in one last vacation.

I was just on the Breakaway from April 5-12 during Spring Break week for many schools. There were TONS of kids everywhere but I was able to find places away from all of the main places kids gathered and it was fine. I had a wonderful time despite the ship being full of kids.

As long as they aren't YOUR kids...ignore them! There are so many places on the ship where kids don't go, you should have no problem avoiding them!

Ha! I don't dislike kids, really! The big ship will be a change for me AND going solo for the first time.....no idea what to expect, but looking forward to it. Still not sure which date yet. Kids or hurricanes.....hmmmmm.....:D

Although hurricane season runs from June 1 until Dec 1, the peak of the season is in September and October. Yes there are exceptions, but they are rare. We have cruised every month of the year for many years and have only been diverted once for a storm. The Captain will avoid bad weather when possible .