Chefs Table Opinions

BTwurddle

Howdy everybody, my better half and I will be sailing on CB in December and I am wondering if anyone can advise on the Chef's Table experience. Im a "foodie" and comfortable just about anywhere thats not too pretentious and the CT sounds like a great evening. However, the DH is a boots & jeans type of guy thats happiest with a red solo cup and a dixie plate at a crawfish boil or bbq. He's always willing to entertain my whims but I was wanting to know if any other members have experienced a pretentious or drab crowd during their CT experience? I do love "putting on the dog" now and again and DH will go to far lengths out of his comfort zone for something I like but I could never enjoy myself knowing he isnt. Was there good converstation? Diverse crowd? Thanks in advance and happy cruising to all.

Howdy everybody, my better half and I will be sailing on CB in December and I am wondering if anyone can advise on the Chef's Table experience. Im a "foodie" and comfortable just about anywhere thats not too pretentious and the CT sounds like a great evening. However, the DH is a boots & jeans type of guy thats happiest with a red solo cup and a dixie plate at a crawfish boil or bbq. He's always willing to entertain my whims but I was wanting to know if any other members have experienced a pretentious or drab crowd during their CT experience? I do love "putting on the dog" now and again and DH will go to far lengths out of his comfort zone for something I like but I could never enjoy myself knowing he isnt. Was there good converstation? Diverse crowd? Thanks in advance and happy cruising to all.

We have done it many times. We don't go for others, but go for the experience. I don't pay attention to what others do or how they act.

Its a great dinner and a must do at least once. Just go and enjoy yourself.

Its never been stuffy and we have always had a great time. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

All depends on who you get (and to a limited extent how engaged the MD is as host).

On the Island, we had a great social group, but we had an advantage going in in that many of us had by pure luck ended up in the same section of the sanctuary for the cruise, and it was easy to bring the others in.

On the Royal, the larger round table with the centerpiece limits conversation a little and its a more formal service, so it was subdued.

On the coral, we did have one snobby couple who constantly compared everything to 'The French Laundry', etc. We tuned them out after a while, but it did mar the atmosphere a bit.

So as with anything else, you can get jerks anywhere, but our overall average has been pretty good.

Go for it. We had a very nice group. There is not a lot of interaction among guests as you are being informed and entertained by your hosts (The Chefs & MD). The food is really great and the service is outstanding.

Definately do it!! When I did the table I wore a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie. I was overdressed!! The other men wore slacks and polo shirts and the women had on pleasant dresses, nothing ostentatious. At least in our group, everyone made sure every other person was included in the conversations, and no one looked down on anyone else.

We've done it several times. We've had a few people at the table who were a trifle insufferable, but overall it's been a good group with good conversation - sometimes more food-centric (which may be expected), other times wide-ranging.

My DH is neither a particularly adventurous eater nor particularly fashionable, but has very much enjoyed the evening each time. It's always been more like a very successful dinner party hosted by very hospitable friends than, say, a work obligation hosted by stiffs.

By all means try it - it should be a memorable experience. If you get any fellow diners with a bad attitude, just ignore them - why let pretentious fools interfere with your enjoyment of a unique dining opportunity? DW and I have been to two, and loved it each time!

I had a great time all three times I did it. It's not a formal event and isn't snooty either. The last time I left DH back at the cabin since he had a sinus infection. I still had a great time without him.

I have done the Chef's Table twice (both times on the CB coincidentally). There was a different maitre 'd each time and it was amazing both times. One time I attended as a single and met the greatest group of people! Do go. I really think you will enjoy yourselves.

The only "problem" person we've experienced was a woman who looked like she'd already knocked back a few drinks before the event started. Since the wine flows freely at a Chef's Table, she was a bit loud and had a lot to say. The rest of us, including her husband, pretty much ignored her. We've done the Chef's Table twice. The second time the Master Chef of the Fleet, Alfredo, was our host. That was really entertaining.

Despite the information being shared by the staff as you dine, we've found lots of opportunities to interact with the other participants. I'm sure your DH will find lots of food to enjoy and will love the experience.

We've done it twice and plan to do it again. Both times we had really nice people and we had a blast. The Maitre D' and Chef do have a big impact, as it's about their showmanship. Even if someone had a bad experience, I would encourage them to try it again.

We've done it twice and would highly recommend it. I had a sport coat on and was asked to remove it before we went to the kitchen (no problem!) The chef and maître 'd were excellent hosts who were extremely accommodating and the food was great.

We were lucky enough to do it once and it was outstanding. Except...sigh...for that one guy, isn't there always that one guy? There we all were, enjoying our appetizers in the galley when he decides to tell the head chef and the maitre'd that the cheesecake is inconsistent throughout the ship and he'd like it to be the same all over the ship. Yeah, THAT guy!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Anubi

We've done it twice and would highly recommend it. I had a sport coat on and was asked to remove it before we went to the kitchen (no problem!) The chef and maître 'd were excellent hosts who were extremely accommodating and the food was great.

Yes, everyone has/gets to wear the white "chef's" jackets in the galley.

Anubi, fortunately your group had him and not ours. We were all full of questions about the delicious appetizers we were eating. Oh yeah and the champagne; can't forget that!

Edited by Treven

I've done it a total of 5 times on 4 different ships, and really enjoyed it every time. There was always plenty of conversation with fellow diners, and the service is always special. Of course, the food is yummy, and all the nice wines are a bonus!

I expect I will do it again because it makes for a fun evening.

Were planning on doing it on our Caribbean Princess cruise in December. Everyone I know who has done it said it's excellent.

My husband and I have done Chef's Table on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and HAL, and the only one we didn't enjoy was Holland America. That one had an unfortunate mix of people:rolleyes:, and it was extremely long and drawn out. We left before dessert, when we had already been waiting 30 minutes for it and it was nowhere in sight. I was literally falling asleep at the table.:o

The Chef's Table is interesting and always sounds like a great experience but... Every time I've seen pictures of it and read the descriptions there just seems to be so much food! I hate getting way more food than I can eat. Even in Crown Grill I end up ordering the Filet Mignon instead of the (much more flavorful) Rib-Eye that I really want simply because I hate leaving food uneaten and I can't eat the dang Rie-Eye as it's too darn big!

One thing my wife and I both love about meals in MDR is that the portions are small enough that one can eat an appetizer, soup, main course, and dessert without ending up stuffed and uncomfortable. I'd much rather ask for more if I really want it than have wasted food sitting on my plate.

For those who have done the Chef's Table: How much food ends up going back?

For those who have done the Chef's Table: How much food ends up going back?

Surprisingly, not that much. Some people, like yourself, simply are not able to eat that much; but most of us do a pretty good job. The pace of the meal has a lot to do with it. There is plenty of time between courses and the whole meal takes upwards of three hours--so not much is actually wasted.

I kind of depends on your outlook, there is the opportunity to eat until you explode if that's your thing. I've seen most diners not quite finishing everything on their place. By all means don't eat anything after breakfast on the day of the Chef's Table.

I should have given my words more thought. The seemingly endless availability of "seconds" on most courses (served at the table) gives one the opportunity to overeat. The individual portions are not humongous at all - there sure are a lot of them though. Fortunately the dinner is spread over two or three hours.