First time planning to sail from Baltimore

bjd2

Hello, I'm just starting to research our trip next April and I have a few questions. We fly to the port city the day before we sail. We fly from Milwaukee. Is the BWI airport the one that is best to fly into? Are hotels that we should look for in the inner harbor area? I've been looking for some reviews from cruisers for hotels and am not really finding much.

Hotels don't have to have free shuttle from airport or to cruise port but would be nice to consider. I don't want a hotel in the middle of nowhere as we will not have a vehicle.

I'm used to arranging transportation necessary from airport to hotel, hotel to port, and port to airport at the end of the cruise. Is this planning necessary in Baltimore or are taxi's readily available and reasonable in cost?

Thanks in advance!

Bobbie

BWI would be my choice of airport. The Inner Harbor area of Baltimore is the place to stay when one has no car. Lots of attractions within a reasonable walking distance and some nice restaurants as well. I cannot say anything about taxi availability or recommend a hotel in that area. Being a large city, I would think taxi availability would not be an issue. Baltimore is a very pleasant city to visit.

Hello, I'm just starting to research our trip next April and I have a few questions. We fly to the port city the day before we sail. We fly from Milwaukee. Is the BWI airport the one that is best to fly into? Are hotels that we should look for in the inner harbor area? I've been looking for some reviews from cruisers for hotels and am not really finding much.

Hotels don't have to have free shuttle from airport or to cruise port but would be nice to consider. I don't want a hotel in the middle of nowhere as we will not have a vehicle.

I'm used to arranging transportation necessary from airport to hotel, hotel to port, and port to airport at the end of the cruise. Is this planning necessary in Baltimore or are taxi's readily available and reasonable in cost?

Thanks in advance!

There are many hotels in the Inner Harbor and Harbor East area to choose from.

No problem getting a taxi from airport to downtown.

They do have the Charm City Circular which is a free bus service to differnt parts of the city.

Also there is the water taxi which is fun do to to see the harbor from the water.

Here are some links that might be helpful;

http://www.harboreast.com/

http://www.baltimore.to/baltimore/

http://baltimore.org/

How much time will you have in town and what do you want to do? Are you a chain hotel person, a boutique person, or a boutique chain person?

The Renaissance is one of the nicest hotels in town. In the Inner Harbor, attached to a (not great) mall, with food across the street, and Little Italy and Fells Point nearby. There are several nice places, including another Marriott full service and a Courtyard, in Harbor East. There are also a number of boutique and niche places that aren't in my personal expertise.

A very nice alternative is the Hotel Monaco, a Kimpton Hotel about a block from the Inner Harbor. A lot of boutique hotel features, in a "small chain". Great little restaurant and bar.

If you're in town long enough for a nice dinner, and need to pick up wine for your cruise, look up the Wine Market Bistro. Easy cab ride from the Inner Harbor, great food, retail plus corkage charge for wine, and an amazing retail wine selection. Highly recommended.