Why doesn't Carnival Compete in Port Canaveral

stevenr597

We live in Cocoa Beach and often watch the cruise ships coming and going.

Carnival was the first to put big modern ships in the port. Most recently however, it does appear that RCCL and Disney Cruise Lines are winning in the competition between cruise ships at the Port.

Carnival used to have the Dream which they pulled out. They currently have the Sunshine which is basically an older, smaller, ship which they have tried to renovate and rehabilitate. Their Conquest ships at the port, when they are there, are the ones which have not been updated. It also seems that Carnival is constantly rotating ships in and out of the Port as if they can't make up their mind as to what market they plan to serve in Central Florida.

Disney has up to 4 modern ships. RCCL has the Freedom Class, and in the near future they will have their Megaships like Allure in a brand new terminal at the port.

Port Canaveral is serviced by a great airport. It has the space coast with the Kennedy Space Center. Great theme parks and great shopping. Beaches like Cocoa which are not crowded.

However, it appears that Carnival does not really want to compete, just depending on having the most inexpensive ships in the Port.

You had the Liberty for a while, yes? She was updated with the 2.0.

Sunshine, while the shell is an older ship, is newer in terms of what it offers.

Sensation is a more updated Fantasy class.

You're getting the Magic and Victory next year, right? Personally, I'm glad they move ships around frequently. It give me an opportunity to try new ships - I won't ever really consider cruises from Galveston (too far away/would need to fly, and not a fan of the itineraries), so I'm glad to see a new option in the Magic coming to PC (now, just add Guys, Alchemy, etc and I'll book immediately!)

I'm still not sure why they deployed the Liberty to San Juan to only replace it by the Fascination - that is a head scratcher to me. And I hate that the Freedom and Liberty are both in Galveston, as I LOVED both of those ships. Oh well, things change frequently and it keeps life interesting!

That's HOW Carnival competes with DCL, RCCL, etc. They offer great itineraries for a much cheaper price. And since Carnival already has a fan base there, they know that whatever they do, people will go on their ships.

They are bringing the Magic there (Dream-Class) in summer/fall 2016, probably to compete with RCCL's Oasis of the Seas. But the difference between the amenities (And size of course!) that appeals to people about the Magic rather than the Oasis is the cost of a 7/8 Night cruise. Oasis is like $1,000 while Magic is $600/700.

Have you read the latest press releases from Carnival concerning Port Canaveral? Carnival is bringing their newest and biggest class of ship (Magic), the Valor will be taking over 3/4 day cruises (which is unprecedented for that market), and the Sunshine will complement the options from this port with a series of varied itineraries. IMHO, Carnival is giving Port Canaveral the best that it can offer.

Yes, the Oasis is coming, and she will be a big draw for those wanting to experience this engineering marvel. But for those who choose based on price or itinerary, Carnival offers much better options. We sailed on Allure and loved it, but I'm not rushing to book the Oasis when it comes to Port Canaveral. It will have the same exact itineraries it had out of Ft. Lauderdale. No thanks.

Edited by Tapi

Ft Lauderdale and Miami are very crowded. Port Canaveral is not.

Yes, Carnival does have ships at the port, but it seems that they keep rotating them in and out. It is rather difficult to keep track as to what ships, at what times, will be based at the port. It my belief that these rapid changes makes it hard to build up a dedicated base there.

How can one plan a cruise 1 year in advance in that Carnival may decided to change ships?

In addition, it is my understanding that Carnival is coming out with a newer (Vista?) class of ships. This would be a good choice as compared to Oasis or Allure.

I do agree that Carnival is a price leader, but price is not everything.

I just feel that Carnival is losing a very valuable opportunity to set up a strong cruising base at a Port with excellent attractions, excellent facilities, excellent airport, and ceding this, like they have done with the New York Market, to the other cruise lines.

Ft Lauderdale and Miami are very crowded. Port Canaveral is not.

Yes, Carnival does have ships at the port, but it seems that they keep rotating them in and out. It is rather difficult to keep track as to what ships, at what times, will be based at the port. It my belief that these rapid changes makes it hard to build up a dedicated base there.

How can one plan a cruise 1 year in advance in that Carnival may decided to change ships?

In addition, it is my understanding that Carnival is coming out with a newer (Vista?) class of ships. This would be a good choice as compared to Oasis or Allure.

I do agree that Carnival is a price leader, but price is not everything.

I just feel that Carnival is losing a very valuable opportunity to set up a strong cruising base at a Port with excellent attractions, excellent facilities, excellent airport, and ceding this, like they have done with the New York Market, to the other cruise lines.

It's not just the price that makes it. Definitely. But Carnival is one of the only cruise lines to have 4 port Eastern AND Western Caribbean 7-Night Cruises. For all the other lines (DCL/RCCL) only do 3 ports for the most part. Disney MIGHT do 4 port 7-nights, but the cost of that is almost 2-3x more than that of Carnival's... So... I think it's all up to what somebody wants in a cruise.

...it seems that they keep rotating them in and out. It is rather difficult to keep track as to what ships, at what times, will be based at the port. It my belief that these rapid changes makes it hard to build up a dedicated base there.

Every cruise line does it. One moment Norwegian has the Sun in Port Canaveral, then they have NO ships, and next they have the Spirit. One moment Royal has the Freedom and the Enchantment and the next they have the Oasis and the Rhapsody, not to forget the Explorer that left after only a few months. Even Disney, with its very small and limited fleet, shuffles things around with the older and smaller Magic now sailing seasonally along Fantasy on weeklong itineraries.

Carnival may be the most noticeable because they are the biggest cruise line with the most number of ships. But they do the same thing every cruise line does, just on a bigger scale because of its size.

Edited by Tapi

Carnival was the first to put big modern ships in the port. Most recently however, it does appear that RCCL and Disney Cruise Lines are winning in the competition between cruise ships at the Port.

Carnival used to have the Dream which they pulled out. They currently have the Sunshine which is basically an older, smaller, ship which they have tried to renovate and rehabilitate. Their Conquest ships at the port, when they are there, are the ones which have not been updated. It also seems that Carnival is constantly rotating ships in and out of the Port as if they can't make up their mind as to what market they plan to serve in Central Florida.

Disney has up to 4 modern ships. RCCL has the Freedom Class, and in the near future they will have their Megaships like Allure in a brand new terminal at the port.

Port Canaveral is serviced by a great airport. It has the space coast with the Kennedy Space Center. Great theme parks and great shopping. Beaches like Cocoa which are not crowded.

However, it appears that Carnival does not really want to compete, just depending on having the most inexpensive ships in the Port.

Carnival will be stepping its game in Port Canaveral in 2016:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6301

I enjoy Port Canaveral and the Cocoa beach / Orlando areas, in fact I'm going there in May, however, for the standard cruiser not looking for the Orlando experience sailing out of PC has a lot of drawbacks.

The airport is very far away and an additional expense to travel.

The Orlando area is full of Toll booth.

Flights to/from Orlando crowded, expensive and are full of kids.

Flights, Hotels, Taxis, and Rental cars all tend to cost more.

Cheaper ports are nearby in Tampa, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale.

One generally takes all of that in stride if your goal is to visit the parks but most cruisers will seek out the other options.

After reading everyone's replies I would say your concern that Carnival isn't coming to the plate is wrong. All the upcoming 2016 upgrades will be great.

Carnival may be the most noticeable because they are the biggest cruise line with the most number of ships. But they do the same thing every cruise line does, just on a bigger scale because of its size.

Exactly!

I enjoy Port Canaveral and the Cocoa beach / Orlando areas, in fact I'm going there in May, however, for the standard cruiser not looking for the Orlando experience sailing out of PC has a lot of drawbacks.

The airport is very far away and an additional expense to travel.

The Orlando area is full of Toll booth.

Flights to/from Orlando crowded, expensive and are full of kids.

Flights, Hotels, Taxis, and Rental cars all tend to cost more.

Cheaper ports are nearby in Tampa, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale.

One generally takes all of that in stride if your goal is to visit the parks but most cruisers will seek out the other options.

I guess it depends on where you are coming from and whether you want to do the Disney thing before your cruise. For me, it is much cheaper to fly to Orlando than to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. And there are so many more direct flight options that getting to the port the day of is much less of a headache. If my flight happens to be delayed, there are several more flight options to get to the ship on time. This is one port where I typically choose Carnival transfers, and in doing so, I spend less than I do when I cruise from Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

For those of us who fly, Port Canaveral is much more difficult to get to than Miami or Fort Lauderdale. We tried it one time, and said never again!:o

Orlando isn't that far away and the Melbourne airport is even closer. Not hard to get to at all.

Think yourself lucky you can just drive, we & plenty more have airfare & still don't complain. As said Miami & FLL are a lot easier to get too & less boring. Last time I tried that port the shuttle driver tried to rip us off with his extravagant tip, till i told him where to stick it. Since NASA basically shut down the area is not that good.

My husband has a fit if we don't cruise out of Port Canaveral. And first I knew of the Magic coming and WOO HOO.

Cape Canaveral...is easy driving distance to EVERYONE in Florida. Maybe Pensacola is not but North FL., Central Fl, and S. Florida. 3 or 4 hours. Often MUCH less. Money saver as in no motels. No airline tickets.

Second...MILLIONS of people fly into Orlando...........visit The House of the Mouse and then cruise.

Third......people who do not fly........but can access Port Canaveral easily on I-95...TN,GA, AL, SC, NC, Kentucky.........the same people who always fill up the Fascination out of Jax...will drive there.

PRICES for Port Canaveral ARE always Higher than Texas ( which are dirt cheap it seems to me) and South Florida. that would indicate they are doing big business in P.C. so WHY IS THE BREEZE GOING TO TEXAS??????????? Why not the cruise port that consistently Has THE highest PRICES FOR fares which indicate someone is paying them....

We just cruised on Princess Regal. $400 + for two rooms at the Hampton Inn ( spring break. Still snowbird season) and that was an excellent price that we got through AARP and we had some Honor Points. Great Hotel. Stunning Price. Plus price of meals that night.

Crowded embarkation but Princess should give lessons on getting people on and off of a ship quickly and easily.

And I did not have to buy airline tickets.

the difference for us............in having to drive to Lauderdale or Miami is the difference between a balcony and an inside.

I think Carnival does give Port Canaveral not a good deal. We loved the Dream. they took that one. We loved the Liberty. they took that one. they gave us the Valor with NO refurbishment or 2.0 options. then the Sunshine. We are sailing on it in two months. And Bless Cruise Critic for helping us find the inside cabins that are 220 sq. ft and have fridges inside. Most balconies on the Sunshine DO NOT have fridges. I have los a ton of weight and Diet Cokes have helped me a lot. I also take meds at night and the cold sodas are a treat.

People either LOVE the Sunshine or they HATE the Sunshine. After reading a lot of reviews...I think a lot is based on YOUR CABIN. If you snag one on the New decks.......you love it. If you get one of the old cabins......Not so much.

Love you Cruise Critic posters.......don't say that often enough.

Edited by AmberTeka

Have you read the latest press releases from Carnival concerning Port Canaveral? Carnival is bringing their newest and biggest class of ship (Magic), the Valor will be taking over 3/4 day cruises (which is unprecedented for that market), and the Sunshine will complement the options from this port with a series of varied itineraries. IMHO, Carnival is giving Port Canaveral the best that it can offer.

Yes, the Oasis is coming, and she will be a big draw for those wanting to experience this engineering marvel. But for those who choose based on price or itinerary, Carnival offers much better options. We sailed on Allure and loved it, but I'm not rushing to book the Oasis when it comes to Port Canaveral. It will have the same exact itineraries it had out of Ft. Lauderdale. No thanks.

The Valor will still be doing 7 night cruises as well. I'm booked on one next year. :)