Tracy Arm - Word of warning and sharing my excitement!

illiniwahoo

For ships that visit Tracy Arm -- If you want to go on the ship excursion further into Tracy Arm on a small boat, BOOK EARLY!!!

I'll be on the Celebrity Solstice this summer. I knew that we wanted to do the ship's excursion that takes you further into Tracy Arm since I first researched the cruise months ago. At about the 90 day point, I went to book the excursion, and it was sold out already!!!:( I was so bummed!! From what I could tell, it was the only excursion that was sold out of all celebrity's offerings. I was going to try to get on the ship as soon as I could to see if they held any spots for booking on board, but that made planning and budgeting the rest of the day in Juneau very difficult. I've looked every day for over a month to see if any tickets became available, and tonight some did! We are now all booked for the Tracy Arm excursion, and will be able to enjoy the morning at Pike's Place Market in Seattle without trying to rush on-board at the very first minute possible.

So my advice is, if you want to go on the Tracy Arm excursion, save yourself the anxiety and book as soon as you can!

I fully, fully agree. The small boat holds perhaps 5% of the passengers, and it's definitely the luckiest 5% of the passengers.

That was the best excursion across all three cruises we've done, period.

Similar thing happened on my trip.... HAL had a ship tour presentation.... they said the Tracy Arm tour was sold out before the presentation introduced it.

I agree those mid-ocean transfer tours is the preferred way to go... it saves you 50 miles or 2 hours in not retracing Juneau to the the entrance.

Very excited for you illiniwahoo! Your persistence paid off!:) This is the only ship's excursion I've reserved to date, and now I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I did that one early! I knew from reading CC that we would want to do that, so I had it booked immediately. But I had no idea it was that popular!

Thanks for posting and warning others here!:)

In my opinion- I will always note this excursion as "necessary"- EVERY time, I post about this particular itinerary.

BUT- a LOT of people turn up their noses at it, and won't consider it due to cost. :) I'm seeing that right now with the group I'm sailing with next month. Fortunately there were cancellations that were picked up by the wait list. I have seen space held back, in the past for on board booking, which I did twice last year. Neither tour was sold out, with about 150 on board. Not sure what the sold out numbers but likely below 200.

Would this be a similar experience?

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/glacier-fjord/

I dont think Millenium offers it.

I think it might need to be this one round trip Juneau:

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/glacier-fjord/round-trip.html

Edited by Pushka

Would this be a similar experience?

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/glacier-fjord/

I dont think Millenium offers it.

I think it might need to be this one round trip Juneau:

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/glacier-fjord/round-trip.html

Yes, the first one is what's available to ships entering Tracy Arm (or presumably at least transiting past Tracy Arm during daylight hours). The second one is the alternate if neither of those apply. it pretty much sacrifices your time in Juneau for most, but it's a spectacular tour.

I need a month in Juneau!! But I really must do this one. :p. This was the excursion I started a thread on a couple of weeks ago as I couldn't remember where it was. Thanks OP for starting this thread. I'm excited too. :p

We took this excursion last year off the Grand Princess and will take it again this year. We spent the entire time outside taking in everything, we couldn’t have asked for a better day, not a cloud in the sky. I think there was about 200 people on the boat and some of them seemed bored and were a sleep part of the time. They missed when the glacier calved off right by our boat and the Captain had to gun the engines to get away from the wake of water or when the Captain of the boat put the bow of the boat into the waterfall or when we saw the big brown bears on the side of the fjord or when we saw two whales when we were on our way into Juneau. We had a great time.

Really important to do the research ahead of time and I usually do BUT for our upcoming trip on May 12 on the Celebrity Millennium I didn't. Life has been nutsy crazy this year that I have not given it the attention that I usually do and now we are leaving in just a few weeks.

I initially booked it because the ship is going to Sitka which is my husband's favorite Alaska port and we haven't been there since our first time in 2001. I thought good way to get him back to Alaska one more time.

I wanted a cruise to just enjoy the scenery and not have to get off the ship in 7days so I thought this 10 night itinerary fit the bill.

It also goes to Tracy Arm and I thought great also because we haven't been there and I definitely wanted to take that small boat excursion.

Well, I just recently found out that it isn't offered until the end of May. I was so bummed and majorly disappointed.

So, we will get to go to Sitka and enjoy the scenery on our 10 night cruise but since I won't be able to get my husband back to Alaska for many years, I will definitely have to be a little smarter in picking one that goes to Tracy Arm next time.

Husband is tired of going to Alaska and although he did the Caribbean last year he likes warm weather cruising better. I like to alternate.

So lesson learned - Research it all. Got a good deal on this one booking it off a previous Celebrity cruise last year and lots of OBC so got swayed because it was going to Sitka.

This is the first cruise also that I don't have everything planned for every port.

Have done the white pass train in Skagway and Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the tram.

Anyone got any good and different excursions that you just loved that we shouldn't miss out on? Please help.

Thank you.

Sherry

Really important to do the research ahead of time and I usually do BUT for our upcoming trip on May 12 on the Celebrity Millennium I didn't. Life has been nutsy crazy this year that I have not given it the attention that I usually do and now we are leaving in just a few weeks.

I initially booked it because the ship is going to Sitka which is my husband's favorite Alaska port and we haven't been there since our first time in 2001. I thought good way to get him back to Alaska one more time.

I wanted a cruise to just enjoy the scenery and not have to get off the ship in 7days so I thought this 10 night itinerary fit the bill.

It also goes to Tracy Arm and I thought great also because we haven't been there and I definitely wanted to take that small boat excursion.

Well, I just recently found out that it isn't offered until the end of May. I was so bummed and majorly disappointed.

So, we will get to go to Sitka and enjoy the scenery on our 10 night cruise but since I won't be able to get my husband back to Alaska for many years, I will definitely have to be a little smarter in picking one that goes to Tracy Arm next time.

Husband is tired of going to Alaska and although he did the Caribbean last year he likes warm weather cruising better. I like to alternate.

So lesson learned - Research it all. Got a good deal on this one booking it off a previous Celebrity cruise last year and lots of OBC so got swayed because it was going to Sitka.

This is the first cruise also that I don't have everything planned for every port.

Have done the white pass train in Skagway and Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the tram.

Anyone got any good and different excursions that you just loved that we shouldn't miss out on? Please help.

Thank you.

Sherry

Thank you for the very important reminder. It does happen too frequently with other interests too- bear viewing, fishing, Denali etc. Where timing is crucial.

We are doing Tracy Arm on our Solstice in September....what is the name of this tour that is "not to be missed"? I can't seem to find it on the list of excursions available on My Celebrity.

Cathy

It should be listed under Juneau excursions "Tracy Arm" something.

However, if you are later Sept, it may already be done with for the season. I know, it was closed down last year, on my NCL Sun trip, second week of Sept. It also will not be offered, if you have an early Juneau port day the same day.

We are doing Tracy Arm on our Solstice in September....what is the name of this tour that is "not to be missed"? I can't seem to find it on the list of excursions available on My Celebrity.

Cathy

"Tracy arm fjord and glacier explorer - celebrity solstice" it was $199 per person, so you can also sort the excursions by price and find it easier that way. It is operated by Allen marine, so you can also contact them directly.

It should be listed under Juneau excursions "Tracy Arm" something.

However, if you are later Sept, it may already be done with for the season. I know, it was closed down last year, on my NCL Sun trip, second week of Sept. It also will not be offered, if you have an early Juneau port day the same day.

Thanks BQ, we are in Tracy Arm on Sept 14th so that's prob why I can't find the excursion! We don't get to Juneau until the 17th and have a full day there so guess it's just that it's the end of the season. Oh well, another reason to go back!

Cathy

Thanks BQ, we are in Tracy Arm on Sept 14th so that's prob why I can't find the excursion! We don't get to Juneau until the 17th and have a full day there so guess it's just that it's the end of the season. Oh well, another reason to go back!

Cathy

Keep checking, and in a few months, see if you can call the shore excursion dept?

This can not be booked independent, in your case.

This is great information. One question though. We had planned to take a whale watching cruise in Juneau. Is there a good chance we'll see whales on this Tracy Arm tour? If so it seems to be the better value. I would prefer to not pay for two tours in one day. Already considering the heli-hike in Skagway and looking to not break the bank on excursions.

This is great information. One question though. We had planned to take a whale watching cruise in Juneau. Is there a good chance we'll see whales on this Tracy Arm tour? If so it seems to be the better value. I would prefer to not pay for two tours in one day. Already considering the heli-hike in Skagway and looking to not break the bank on excursions.

IF the Tracy Arm add on, has the tour, starting or ending in Juneau- you may get a brief look at some humpbacks. However, it is no comparison to what you would see on a whale watch. It is common see humpbacks, but the Tracy Arm boat tour isn't going to spend more than a few minutes stopped. You need to determine- what YOU want to see and do?

If you have the ability to do both, and am interested- this isn't the place to skimp. :)

More great advice. Maybe we'll do both. I did just reserve the Tracy Arm glacier cruise and will still think of adding the whale watch. We are on the Princess Ruby on June 14 going also to Skagway and Ketchikan. Is Juneau or best bet to see whales? I haven't yet seen any other similar whale tours outside of Juneau.

More great advice. Maybe we'll do both. I did just reserve the Tracy Arm glacier cruise and will still think of adding the whale watch. We are on the Princess Ruby on June 14 going also to Skagway and Ketchikan. Is Juneau or best bet to see whales? I haven't yet seen any other similar whale tours outside of Juneau.

Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the tours out of Juneau.

I just signed up for this one, but had to cancel the whale watching... Doing both is prohibitively expensive... Can't do it...:(:eek:

No option to cut back elsewhere? "Gift" date coming up for you? Sometimes- people are asked for suggestions- a trip fund could be mentioned? Make the cake, instead of a costly bakery purchase? Pay yourself? brown bag it, make coffee at home, forget the weekly pizza/wings? Even "cutting back" a few months can yield a lot of funds?

ONLY suggestions- as a general comment.

I just signed up for this one, but had to cancel the whale watching... Doing both is prohibitively expensive... Can't do it...:(:eek:

Huge mistake! I agree with BQ - cut back on something else if possible. Honestly, I would take this over Whale Watching. Alaska is one of those places where you have to plan excursions or you miss so much.

We are on the Ruby Princess leaving Seattle on June 7th. We have booked with Harv and Marv to see the whales in Juneau on two previous cruises to Alaska. Highly recommend them. They are great!!!! Lots and lots of whales. This time we are going on the small boat tour in Tracy Arm. Can't wait!!!!