B2B - Going ashore in Southampton

Flying Doc

We've just booked our first B2B cruises which will have a changeover day in Southampton. Is it feasible to go for a 'run ashore' during the day, or is the disembarkation/embarkation mayhem and the difficulties of getting back on, just too much hassle to make it worthwhile? We have relatives in Southampton and thought it would be nice to say hello, but not if it's going to be a bun fight getting back on with all the thousands of new arrivals.....Advice much appreciated!

I would think you certainly can go ashore! The disembarkers will have disappeared by mid morning and most of the embarkers won't be getting on til around midday at the earliest.

Just treat it as another port and enjoy yourself.

Haven't done this mysel, but I think you will find that disembarkation will be relatively easy as the bun fight will be earlier than you will be getting off! You may also be allowed to go ashore using the " crew" channel. Most passengers who are getting off for good at Southampton will be gone by about 9.30.

Coming back there is usually a separate gangway for passengers like yourself - I have certainly seen this at two of the Southampton terminals. You bypass the "new" passenger route - I think you are called " in transit" passengers .....someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong!

We've just booked our first B2B cruises which will have a changeover day in Southampton. Is it feasible to go for a 'run ashore' during the day, or is the disembarkation/embarkation mayhem and the difficulties of getting back on, just too much hassle to make it worthwhile? We have relatives in Southampton and thought it would be nice to say hello, but not if it's going to be a bun fight getting back on with all the thousands of new arrivals.....Advice much appreciated!

If you want to get off it is treated like another port. You will have your new card and you walk off with the crew just by scanning your card. You get back on the same way. And of course you have no luggage. You do not have to wait to be called you just go.

On our Caribbean back to back in Barbados we collected the new cruise cards waiting for us in reception and left the ship via the crew gangway, returning many hours later as lots newbies were arriving. They embarked up the main gangway we returned up the alternative/crew gangway very easy and no problem.

There were about 40 other couples on our back to back so you probably wont be the only ones wanting to leave the ship and make the most of your port day. The security guys at the gangway will always tell you how and what gangway to use on your return.

I`ve just booked a 2 night Belgium followed by a 12 night Canary Island Cruise on Britannia.

Luckily managed to get the same cabin for both, I`ve treated myself to a balcony so on change over day can sit on there watching the comings and goings.

Do I settle my onboard account via reception for the first cruise then swap cruise cards ready for the second cruise?

I`ve just booked a 2 night Belgium followed by a 12 night Canary Island Cruise on Britannia.

Luckily managed to get the same cabin for both, I`ve treated myself to a balcony so on change over day can sit on there watching the comings and goings.

Do I settle my onboard account via reception for the first cruise then swap cruise cards ready for the second cruise?

You will be amazed ,if your cabin is portside ,on changeover day, the short space of time between the last people leaving, and the first ones turning up, we were.

Ref your account. The money will be taken from your registered card for the 1st cruise , the same as if you were leaving the ship. It is done automatically. You have to go down to reception to collect your new cruise card, then you can start spending on that one.

You have different arrangements to ease your going ashore and return. In some instances I have observed the 'crew' gangway being used.

Go for it.

the english lady

I`ve got a single balcony cabin on the Starboard side on Lido Deck so if Britannia reverses into Ocean Terminal then I can watch everybody coming and going.

I suppose the great thing is I will only have to unpack / repack once

Would I have to go to the muster drill on the second cruise? How would that work on a B2B...

OP a very good restaurant to meet your family is La Margarita just up from red funnels red jet. A superb Italian restaurant . If you wish to know anything else pls ask.

Edited by Bogof1
Extra text

Wikson2579 we hoped to do that too but we had a port/maritime inspection so we're limited to where we coukd go once inspectors on board as they were doing crew drills for inspection. At least we were near the library when they locked the doors so could read. !!

Wikson2579 we hoped to do that too but we had a port/maritime inspection so we're limited to where we coukd go once inspectors on board as they were doing crew drills for inspection. At least we were near the library when they locked the doors so could read. !!

That would just be our luck.:mad:

That would just be our luck.:mad:

Sounds reassuring though :)