Norwegian Sky to become all inclusive!

Topo Gigio

Same weeks for comparison

2015 OV with UBP promo - 229 pp

2016 OV with Inclusive Drinks - 409 pp

2016 Inside with Inclusive Drinks - 339 pp

So for 2016 I gotta spend $200 more to get on the ship; no view. Business must be good!

NCL will be advertising this to death. Curious to see what, if anything, Royal does with Enchantment coming to Miami and if Carnival has any tricks up their sleeves.

Thanks for the comprehensive look at some rates, I think the point here is they are including the beverages in their base price, it's not a hidden fee it's all in for that much, I can appreciate your stance on this, I still see this as a win for some. Enjoy the sailing you've booked.

*Living Large*

I think its a creative way to test if the oft-repeated complaint of "Don't nickel and dime me, just include everything in the cruise fare" is actually valid.

I think they will find that people actually prefer a la carte pricing; the airlines have proven that an all-inclusive fare is hated by consumers, and consumers much prefer lower airfares and add on fees for things previously included (like baggage). Even if the overall price is higher, the consumer will go for the lower fare with the add ons they feel they have some control over.

Only the booze is included for drinks up to $11 per drink. The specialty dining restaurants are still an up-charge. The way it was worded was funny but that's what it means. It's just the booze, not the alternative dining venues!

Cheers! :)

that makes a little more sense. There would be no reason to even have specialty dining if there was no charge what so ever. Or, if it is included the price would reflect the addition. As for anyone who finds this false advertising, I totally disagree, it is called good marketing, not false anything. Of course the proces are going to go up. Why do you think AI can be so pricey? Businesses intend to make money and giving free booze isn't much of a money maker.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Not at all, you can book any cruise that you think is good value for you.

I was just pointing out that the price for the same week in 2016 has jumped 180% compared to 2015 with the same promo.

I do think it will be advertised heavily and I think it will do great in the Miami market.

Am I willing to pay 180% more for the same thing? Time will tell, but signs point to no.

I'm very pleased with the deal I got including UBP. It is worth more to me that UDP on Sky (not many choices) and gratuities come out to around $100, which is certainly less than I can ring up with UDP over 4 days. My wife hardly drinks, one, maybe two over a week, so...maybe one over a 4 day cruise? There's a lot baked into the fare that she would waste. 2016 short cruise may be better going back to RCI. Again, have to wait and see.

For short cruises I'm a lot more price conscious because we view them as quick and easy getaways.

Overall I think this is a smart move by NCL.

One plus I DO see, is that you can book an inside cabin and still get the deal, which is not true with the Freestyle Choice offerings. Depending on where the prices go tomorrow, you may be able to get on a pretty good bender for cheap. Just do freebies only for four days, then crash in a cheap motel for a night, and then maybe sail out for a week on the Escape. I figure 4 nights on South Beach will cost me much more than 4 days in an inside cabin on the Sun. A hangover is always easier to deal with in a dark room anyway. :rolleyes:

Can't argue with that logic!! :D

This will make the service better as there is no need to ask for the room card and also speed it up. I wish they would do what Oceania does, include all drinks, both cold and hot, that do not have alcohol in them.

Although what you said seems like common sense, one of the amazing things about NCL Crew is, if you put yourself in a situation where you have the same bar waiter for a few rounds, it's not long before they don't even ask for your card....they remember your number.

I don't know how they do it. I'm amazed they remember passengers names, but your numbers??? It's crazy.

although like I said, I'd prefer to pay for what I consume as I consume it and have a lower base fare, no matter what, I'll akways cruise. :)

Just my 2 cents...

We have sailed the Sky about 5 times over the last ten years...mature couple...and my parents have been on it twice as much...very mature couple. We've only ever done the 4 night...Monday to Friday. There has never been anything even remotely "booze cruise" or "party boat" about any of our past cruises. We've had our young adult children...20-30 year olds with us for a family event and they definitely did not consider the Sky a party boat :)

I have always thought the 3 dayers over the weekend...for any cruise line...would attract the booze party set.

This is such false advertising. You read the post by NCL on facebook and they list it as all inclusive. That is absolutely not true. Not all restaurants are included and all they added was the UBP and that limits the drinks you can get. You still have to pay extra for a lot of items. Anyone that think this is a great idea is sorely mistaken.

Typical CC response. Always looking for the negative.

I was just pointing out that the price for the same week in 2016 has jumped 180% compared to 2015 with the same promo.

I do think it will be advertised heavily and I think it will do great in the Miami market.

Am I willing to pay 180% more for the same thing? Time will tell, but signs point to no.

I'm very pleased with the deal I got including UBP. It is worth more to me that UDP on Sky (not many choices) and gratuities come out to around $100, which is certainly less than I can ring up with UDP over 4 days. My wife hardly drinks, one, maybe two over a week, so...maybe one over a 4 day cruise? There's a lot baked into the fare that she would waste. 2016 short cruise may be better going back to RCI. Again, have to wait and see.

For short cruises I'm a lot more price conscious because we view them as quick and easy getaways.

Overall I think this is a smart move by NCL.

What weeks and cabin classes are you comparing? I did not see the price jump your indicated . Example: 4 day May 11-15th 2015 ocean view with promo for 2 is $1106.24. 4 day May 9-13th 2016 ocean view is $1128.10 for 2 people. I'm no math genius but a $21.86 increase isn't 180%.

So basically you will be forced to pay for the drink package if you want it or not. Increase the base price and include "free" drinks.....

yep, just like a land AI. For those who do not drink these vacations can be pricey, for those who do, they are a fair value. It is up to each of us to decide, but I think we are going to see more and more of this. Many of the luxury lines are all inclusive or offer free beer and wine.

Just my 2 cents...

We have sailed the Sky about 5 times over the last ten years...mature couple...and my parents have been on it twice as much...very mature couple. We've only ever done the 4 night...Monday to Friday. There has never been anything even remotely "booze cruise" or "party boat" about any of our past cruises. We've had our young adult children...20-30 year olds with us for a family event and they definitely did not consider the Sky a party boat :)

I have always thought the 3 dayers over the weekend...for any cruise line...would attract the booze party set.

Anything less than 5 days is consider a 'booze cruise' but than again, NCL passengers are bit more rational and mature when it comes to drinking and dining. When it comes to passengers jumping off ships due to drunkness, NCL is rarely mention (passengers needing medical attention for ailments and falling out of beds / stairs just because and/or freak accidents-well that's different...).

Personally, the ones talking negatively about this new change are just making a big hoopla over nothing - Yeah, sure there's a limited to what's include to drink since its the UBP added to the fare but most of the drinks are under $11 anyway. Plus, there's only 3 specialty restaurants and paid room service fee; everything else is complimentary due to the fare - which is like what 6-7 MDR, buffets and grills on the Sky? Yeah, it tragic catastrophe for such a short cruise trip to have free soda and alcohol while expecting your fellow NCL passengers to act complete fools when really they don't.[emoji57] (Not directed at you, deora24, just saying - its like little faith in people thinking they are Carnival / Royal drunk crazy passengers on a NCL ship not known for having a history of bad overall passenger behavior....)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Same weeks for comparison

2015 OV with UBP promo - 229 pp

2016 OV with Inclusive Drinks - 409 pp

2016 Inside with Inclusive Drinks - 339 pp

What weeks and cabin classes are you comparing? I did not see the price jump your indicated . Example: 4 day May 11-15th 2015 ocean view with promo for 2 is $1106.24. 4 day May 9-13th 2016 ocean view is $1128.10 for 2 people. I'm no math genius but a $21.86 increase isn't 180%.

I compared the 4 night sailings; first week of October for 2015 and 2016.

I checked again and made a mistake. We took a category OG cabin for 2015 at 239 per person(originally had an OI at 229 a person). This included the UBP.

The base fare for the same room, the same week, is $409; a little over 170% greater than $239.

2015 total for cruise fare, taxes, govt fees with UBP = $683.46

2016 total for cruise fare, taxes, govt fees = $1030.36

That's a 150% increase when you factor in the mandatory taxes and fees.

At the time of our booking cheapest insides were $179 (NO PROMO). Same week 2016, the cheapest inside is now $339 including the AI. That's a 190% increase.

A perfectly good point could be made that going all-inclusive with an inside is now a better value than getting an inside and buying the drink package for 4 days. The math supports that, and one could say it is like getting the drink package at a discount.

But for people that don't want to drink though, it's a very expensive inside cabin compared to the competition.

With NCL current rules I'd have never purchased the UBP unless given as a promo. Both people in the room have to buy and my wife would not even make a dent in the cost of the package. So like I said, I am happy with my promo and pricing and look forward to it.

I know it isn't a sale. It's a promotion. I think it will be a good promotion for NCL. Most people will look to see that a 4 day drink package is going to add +/- $200 pp or $150 pp for a 3 night cruise, factor that in, and decide if NCL is a deal for them.

Would I pay 150% more for the same cruise? I doubt it. But I'd probably say that for any line and ship.

I happen to think it's a great 'trial' to test the waters (so to speak) for potential packages on other ships in the future . . . but I'm personally bunmmed about the arrangment from a selfish standpoint.

Naturally the base price increases to include this new offering . . . and it definitely already has. I kept good records on some future dates, and when comparing those now, I see a significant rise in cost. For those who have a strong interest in the new offering, it can be beneficial.

But . . . as a solo cruiser who has been willing to pay the 200% base on NCL because I simply like their overall product, this new arrangment pretty much sucks. :( But I am fully aware I'm in that minority who often cruise as a single, so I have to accept that Norwegian Sky (which I've cruise on multiple times, including a 10-day B2B2B) is now a more expensive short sailing, and I can find a better personal deal elsewhere.

I don't see a future need to basically pay for a second inclusive drink package when I'm only one person.

Edited by DGP1111

The base fare for the same room, the same week, is $409; a little over 170% greater than $239.

At the time of our booking cheapest insides were $179 (NO PROMO). Same week 2016, the cheapest inside is now $339 including the AI. That's a 190% increase.

Would I pay 150% more for the same cruise? I doubt it. But I'd probably say that for any line and ship.

Please learn to math - none of your percentages in the comparisons is right. Nobody would need to "pay 150% more" or neither is $409 "170% greater" than $239.

I happen to think it's a great 'trial' to test the waters (so to speak) for potential packages on other ships in the future . . . but I'm personally bunmmed about the arrangment from a selfish standpoint.

Naturally the base price increases to include this new offering . . . and it definitely already has. I kept good records on some future dates, and when comparing those now, I see a significant rise in cost. For those who have a strong interest in the new offering, it can be beneficial.

But . . . as a solo cruiser who has been willing to pay the 200% base on NCL because I simply like their overall product, this new arrangment pretty much sucks. :( But I am fully aware I'm in that minority who often cruise as a single, so I have to accept that Norwegian Sky (which I've cruise on multiple times, including a 10-day B2B2B) is now a more expensive short sailing, and I can find a better personal deal elsewhere.

I don't see a future need to basically pay for a second inclusive drink package when I'm only one person.

That is true from a solo traveler point of view - my two Getaway and Escape 7 day trips combine are cheaper than a week long on the Sky in a regular inside, and the Getaway was like $445 with the Escape 's $799 for solo cabin. True, I didn't add drink package for myself but that should make any solo traveler a bit wary to cruise on the Sky unless the last-minute deal is super dirt cheap. The way pricing looks right now , its better for couples, families and groups to go than a soloer traveling on it.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I compared the 4 night sailings; first week of October for 2015 and 2016.

I checked again and made a mistake. We took a category OG cabin for 2015 at 239 per person(originally had an OI at 229 a person). This included the UBP.

2015 total for cruise fare, taxes, govt fees with UBP = $683.46

2016 total for cruise fare, taxes, govt fees = $1030.36

That's a 150% increase when you factor in the mandatory taxes and fees.

A perfectly good point could be made that going all-inclusive with an inside is now a better value than getting an inside and buying the drink package for 4 days. The math supports that, and one could say it is like getting the drink package at a discount.

But for people that don't want to drink though, it's a very expensive inside cabin compared to the competition.

With NCL current rules I'd have never purchased the UBP unless given as a promo. Both people in the room have to buy and my wife would not even make a dent in the cost of the package. So like I said, I am happy with my promo and pricing and look forward to it.

I know it isn't a sale. It's a promotion. I think it will be a good promotion for NCL. Most people will look to see that a 4 day drink package is going to add +/- $200 pp or $150 pp for a 3 night cruise, factor that in, and decide if NCL is a deal for them.

Thanks for the reply. Not flaming or anything but just want to point out a few flaws in your argument now that I know what sailing we're comparing.

1. $1030.36 is a 150% increase over 683.46.

2. Your math does not take in account that you booked early. The better comparison is what it costs to book the OG cabin today, which for the first week of October is $888.24, which still makes the 2016 date 116% more than its 2015 counterpart.

3. If you look at it over all your paying $142.12 more for 2 people between the two dates. The price of the drink package for 2 people is $320. Which is still a pretty darn good deal. I would assume that a normal couple would drink $142.12 worth of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks over a 4 day cruise (13 drinks at the highest $11 price point).

Edited by wichitastatecruiser

Please learn to math - none of your percentages in the comparisons is right. Nobody would need to "pay 150% more" or neither is $409 "170% greater" than $239.

409 is 170% of 239. Maybe I should have used of instead of more. I can math just fine.

Thanks for the reply. Not flaming or anything but just want to point out a few flaws in your argument now that I know what sailing we're comparing.

1. $1030.36 is a 150% increase over 683.46.

2. Your math does not take in account that you booked early. The better comparison is what it costs to book the OG cabin today, which for the first week of October is $888.24, which still makes the 2016 date 116% more than its 2015 counterpart.

3. If you look at it over all your paying $142.12 more for 2 people between the two dates. The price of the drink package for 2 people is $320. Which is still a pretty darn good deal. I would assume that a normal couple would drink $142.12 worth of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks over a 4 day cruise (13 drinks at the highest $11 price point).

I don't consider booking in Feb for October to be an early booking; neither does NCL as they aren't giving us extra Latitude point for early booking. If I booked NOW for Oct 2016, yes, I guess that would be early. Maybe the better comparison is to wait and see what the October 2016 price will be when it is 8 months out?

My comparison takes into account real dollars. What something is costing me this year, versus what the same thing costs me in the future. It's not a $142 difference as you claim; only if I booked today would it be. I track cruise prices daily though a third party site and when I see prices at or near their bottom is when I book. 50:50 chance I'd rebook today for 888. 10% chance I'd rebook today for $1030. I am happy with what we are getting for $683. I can add gratuities, insurance, parking at POM, and walking around cash for Freeport and Nassau and be all in for $1K or under. That's where I consider a 4 day trip a value, but that's my own personal metric.

I don't consider booking in Feb for October to be an early booking; neither does NCL as they aren't giving us extra Latitude point for early booking. If I booked NOW for Oct 2016, yes, I guess that would be early. Maybe the better comparison is to wait and see what the October 2016 price will be when it is 8 months out?

My comparison takes into account real dollars. What something is costing me this year, versus what the same thing costs me in the future. It's not a $142 difference as you claim; only if I booked today would it be. I track cruise prices daily though a third party site and when I see prices at or near their bottom is when I book. 50:50 chance I'd rebook today for 888. 10% chance I'd rebook today for $1030. I am happy with what we are getting for $683. I can add gratuities, insurance, parking at POM, and walking around cash for Freeport and Nassau and be all in for $1K or under. That's where I consider a 4 day trip a value, but that's my own personal metric.

You now what I meant by booking early. There is was more availability of cabins in Feb for your cruise which is why you only paid $683.46 for your cat as opposed to someone who books the same cabin today at the current price (which is a 129% price increase from what you paid). Since we don't know what the demand for 2016 is we have to use todays price as since when you booked the Choice promo was still available for 2016. If you had written down the price for your room class for October 2016 before the change in policy then we could see what the actually price change has been since price increases this far out would be highly unlikely. Unlike 8 months out from the cruise when the price will be dependent on the number of available cabins and the price more than likely will be higher, but there is a chance it could be lower. The other thing you need to consider by your metric is the pricing on other lines 4 day cruises for the same time period next year. Are they currently more/less? Do they offer free drinks?

Edited by wichitastatecruiser