Tips For Couples Cruising on the Getaway

emilyreid09

Hi all,

I'm cruising with my boyfriend in November (so excited!) and have a few questions about couples cruising.

I've heard that the bed is really two beds that can be pushed together. Do we have to ask for this before the trip or ask for it on the first day?

For dining, I heard that wait times weren't too bad but do you think for 2 people it would be better/worse at any time for dinners or shows?

For excursions we were thinking it would be safest to book with NCL so that we don't risk missing our departure or anything. We're doing the Western Caribbean so if there are any cool excursions you'd recommend we'd love to hear!

Also I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice or to-dos for young couples (early twenties) going out on the seas together. We're both super excited so anything you can share will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi all,

I'm cruising with my boyfriend in November (so excited!) and have a few questions about couples cruising.

I've heard that the bed is really two beds that can be pushed together. Do we have to ask for this before the trip or ask for it on the first day?

For dining, I heard that wait times weren't too bad but do you think for 2 people it would be better/worse at any time for dinners or shows?

For excursions we were thinking it would be safest to book with NCL so that we don't risk missing our departure or anything. We're doing the Western Caribbean so if there are any cool excursions you'd recommend we'd love to hear!

Also I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice or to-dos for young couples (early twenties) going out on the seas together. We're both super excited so anything you can share will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

Call your TA or ncl , ask them to put beds together in advance and I always request an eggcrate too, ( I feel the division between beds otherwise) . Ask for extra pillows too if you like them.

We make dining reservations ,even for the main DR,, no real wait for my hubby and I, or our family.

We take ncl excursions for safety as well as knowing ship will wait for us if late. Many people do set up own tho....we LOVED scuba diving and dolphin swim!

Have a great time!!

May I suggest that you post on the Roll Call for your cruise. People there probably will have lots of ideas for you.

I will be boarding the Getaway for the 5th time at the end of May as a solo passenger.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Standard procedure is that the cabin bed be configured together. We've never had it otherwise. If for some reason it is separated, the cabin steward can put it together for you in just a couple of minutes. Dining for two in the MDRs should at most have a 10 minute wait, and probably not ever that. When it first opens, there is an initial crowd. And after a show lets out, there is a brief crowd. The Getaway has three MDR, if I'm remembering correctly. One of the nice things about the NCL ships is not having to plan much. You can be flexible with you schedule and just walk up with no wait usually. I did notice that on the Getaway, the specialty restaurants are book pretty full quickly. More guests on the ship and the restaurants aren't much bigger than the smaller ships. For the shows, the door to the theater should open 30 minutes before. Just be there at that time, go in with the initial line up, and you can get pretty much the seats of your choice. Then just sit, relax, people watch, drink if you wish. Reservations for a show doesn't reserve you a particular seat. We liked the Mojitos at the Mojito bar. You can sit out on the "Waterfront" and be served if you wish. For a quick breakfast, lunch, or snacks, there is a grill/bar on the deck directly above the buffet. We just do NCL tours usually. However, with Cozumel and Grand Cayman, they are both so small that you can't get too far from the ship dock that a taxi couldn't get you back pretty quick regardless of the tour. Ocho Rios is fairly small and not developed like Punta Langosta, Coozumel is. Last time in Ocho Rios, we walked through town up to the nearest Jerk Chicken place and had the Jamaican jerk lunch. The Getaway is a very nice, well designed, and pretty ship. If you want a sneak preview of the Getaway, her is waay too many pictures of her. I didn't edit or sort or anything.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

My wife and I will be taking our second cruise this October, and it will be our first with NCL and the Getaway.

We are looking at doing the NCL catamaran excursion to Jost Van Dyke in Tortola. And in St. Thomas we are going to take a cab to a local beach that is close to the cruise port. Frenchman's reef at Morningstar Beach. There is a Marriott there and you are able to use the bar and restaurant. Go to you tube and search both of those and see what you think.