Thinking of trying NCL/Breakaway?

JAMESCC

We have been on 3 RCCL cruises, and really never wanted to switch but certain things are starting to annoy me about them. Long story, but price is a major one. Anyway this isn't a bash RCCL thread.

We were checking out NCL Breakaway prices and they seem to be really good, plus really nice incentives to book. What do I need to know about NCL in general and The Breakaway in particular? The port in NYC? We like to go to Bermuda a lot, and we love the 7 day cruise to Bermuda where you get 3 days there. Thanks for any info or pointers about NCL.

We have been on 3 RCCL cruises, and really never wanted to switch but certain things are starting to annoy me about them. Long story, but price is a major one. Anyway this isn't a bash RCCL thread.

We were checking out NCL Breakaway prices and they seem to be really good, plus really nice incentives to book. What do I need to know about NCL in general and The Breakaway in particular? The port in NYC? We like to go to Bermuda a lot, and we love the 7 day cruise to Bermuda where you get 3 days there. Thanks for any info or pointers about NCL.

We did this cruise last year and loved it.

Three relaxing days at sea, very good entertainment, then three relaxing days in Bermuda.

Freestyle means you can eat where you want,when you want. No need to get dressed up. Three very good main dining rooms, The Manhattan Room is the bigger one that is more like a supper club with music and dancing, Taste and Savor.

Pool deck does get crowded during the day. Go one deck up to avoid it on deck 16 or 17.

Spice H2O at the back on 16 is nice and relaxing. Adults only during the day. Nice bar and view of the wake.

The Waterfront on deck 8 was one of our favorite places to have drinks or Gelato and sit and watch the ocean go by outside with a nice breeze while underway.

Great ship with a great crew.

Manhattan Cruise Terminal is very efficient with many porters outside to take your luggage. Sometimes coming back is tough if they don't have all the desks open, but we had no trouble last summer on a July trip.

http://www.nycruise.com

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans

Study the ships deck plans beforehand and once you board you will have a good idea where you want to go and how to get there. She is a big ship!

Have fun!!

~Robin

We went to Bermuda on Breakaway with a group of 12 (6 couples separate room) we had a 9th floor corner aft suite. It was wonderful and we hosted happy hours on our deck several times. ( the aft decks on 9 are enormous) We also upgraded my in- laws to an aft balcony. short story... I highly recommend aft cabins. If you book try to do so off season, when kids are in school. The ship can get quite crowded and although there are more venue choices they don't seem as big as the NCL jewel class. Take advantage of the I concierge phone app and you can pre- book shows and dining online once you have paid. Have a great cruise:):)

We did this cruise last year and loved it.

Three relaxing days at sea, very good entertainment, then three relaxing days in Bermuda.

Freestyle means you can eat where you want,when you want. No need to get dressed up. Three very good main dining rooms, The Manhattan Room is the bigger one that is more like a supper club with music and dancing, Taste and Savor.

Pool deck does get crowded during the day. Go one deck up to avoid it on deck 16 or 17.

Spice H2O at the back on 16 is nice and relaxing. Adults only during the day. Nice bar and view of the wake.

The Waterfront on deck 8 was one of our favorite places to have drinks or Gelato and sit and watch the ocean go by outside with a nice breeze while underway.

Great ship with a great crew.

Manhattan Cruise Terminal is very efficient with many porters outside to take your luggage. Sometimes coming back is tough if they don't have all the desks open, but we had no trouble last summer on a July trip.

http://www.nycruise.com

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans

Study the ships deck plans beforehand and once you board you will have a good idea where you want to go and how to get there. She is a big ship!

Have fun!!

~Robin

Totally agree! This is great ship and we loved the 3 days in Bermuda. If buffet is crowded, go up one deck to the grill by the climbing wall. Usually not crowded and you can grab breakfast or lunch here with plenty of seating.

Thanks a lot guys. The fares are so reasonable. I mean we could do a mini suite for my wife and I and our 2 year old son for 3 grand for 7 days. On Quantum it was like 3,200 for a much smaller room and only a 5 day cruise. And they ain't offering any incentives.

Can you give me a run down description of the cabin categories just so I understand how it things work on Breakaway? How is the mini suite, worth a little extra? I think it has a large bathroom with a large shower which we like. Thank you again for the replies, appreciate it much.

The mini suites are same as regular balcony categories only with a larger bathroom, bigger shower and double sink.

If you want a bigger balcony, look at the deck plans for the angled ones, or an aft.

Here is a great spreadsheet that CC member Bear3412 put together for Breakaway.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Hope this helps!

Have a great cruise. We will be back on Breakaway in the fall.

The mini suites are same as regular balcony categories only with a larger bathroom, bigger shower and double sink.

If you want a bigger balcony, look at the deck plans for the angled ones, or an aft.

Here is a great spreadsheet that CC member Bear3412 put together for Breakaway.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Hope this helps!

Have a great cruise. We will be back on Breakaway in the fall.

Awesome thank you, I will check it out.

Breakaway Haven aft 2014, 2015 and 2016!!!! We loved our cabin of course but really like the specialty restaurants and entertainment. Sailed many times on RCCL....loved it but found something we like better than the Oasis.

We thought we'd love the smaller ships so booked two Azamara cruises...nothing to do at night and limited meal choices plus I got sick sea so it's back to the mega ships.

I enjoyed the Breakaway but it was CROWDED.

one day the doors to the deck were closed and you couldn't leave the ship due to high winds. Everywhere you went was a mob scene

Another day it rained but you could still go out on deck. It wasn't as bad as above mentioned

I was in the Haven and glad because I am not a fan of very large crowds

But it was one of the best cruises I had on NCL

We loved the Breakaway! We're booked again for November.

If you want to see a mini suite and get an idea of the ship, feel free to check out my review below my signature.

And a word of advice. Don't let all of the uproar about fee changes dissuade you from cruising on the Breakaway. Fees and prices change, both up and down. It's just part of business.

We loved the Breakaway! We're booked again for November.

If you want to see a mini suite and get an idea of the ship, feel free to check out my review below my signature.

And a word of advice. Don't let all of the uproar about fee changes dissuade you from cruising on the Breakaway. Fees and prices change, both up and down. It's just part of business.

It can't be as bad as what RCCL is doing right now! Almost priced out of that line.