Officially nervous...whats up w NCL Epic???

Lizzybell1960

Hi-I am not trying to be negative as we are all so excited @ our Epic cruise out of Barcelona next month. That being said, I have been reading the most recent reviews on the Epic and many are bad.

Yes, there are a few good reviews, but enough bad ones have been posted in the last couple of days to bring the rating of the ship down I believe.

The posts all seemed reasonable, the common threads-strong sewage smells, ship not clean/run down/torn carpets, even bed bugs :(

I think the most troubling was the consistent complaint that NCL & esp the staff on the Epic did not care. Period. Whatever the issue, as one crusier put it "Sooooo Sorry" was NCLs response to every question/complaint & I believe him :(

I know the crew have long hours, many months away from their families and home. Perhaps they are at the tail end of their time onboard and were all "burned out"??? I get that...I don't like it(from their point and the paying customers), but I get it Perhaps this is the case, does any one know??

I am sure there were those who had the most amazing times of their lives, but these lucky souls seem to be few and far between on the last cruise(4/15).

I am now concerned due to all of these negative reviews...whats up with the Epic, these issues and her crew?

Thanks much.

Liz

Edited by Lizzybell1960

hi,

I've also posted my concerns, and like you am due to travel in September, however having cruised nearly 20 times i've yet to witness the problems that people seem to be experiencing on Cruisecritic!!!! Friends travelled on Epic last summer and said it was great, and with that in mind,and also all the positive reviews on here i'm reckoning on having a great trip!!

enjoy yours

Hi-I am not trying to be negative as we are all so excited @ our Epic cruise out of Barcelona next month. That being said, I have been reading the most recent reviews on the Epic and many are bad.

Yes, there are a few good reviews, but enough bad ones have been posted in the last couple of days to bring the rating of the ship down I believe.

The posts all seemed reasonable, the common threads-strong sewage smells, ship not clean/run down/torn carpets, even bed bugs :(

I think the most troubling was the consistent complaint that NCL & esp the staff on the Epic did not care. Period. Whatever the issue, as one crusier put it "Sooooo Sorry" was NCLs response to every question/complaint & I believe him :(

I know the crew have long hours, many months away from their families and home. Perhaps they are at the tail end of their time onboard and were all "burned out"??? I get that...I don't like it(from their point and the paying customers), but I get it Perhaps this is the case, does any one know??

I am sure there were those who had the most amazing times of their lives, but these lucky souls seem to be few and far between on the last cruise(4/15).

I am now concerned due to all of these negative reviews...whats up with the Epic, these issues and her crew?

Thanks much.

Liz

We were on the Epic in December. What I noticed most was that there was less personal attention, but I attribute that to the hugeness of the ship. We also didn't really have any issues other than a few reservation changes and inquiries; which were handled in a most friendly and informative way. Our room steward was friendly and generally efficient. We only ate in a MDR for lunch and those meals were fine with friendly and efficient wait staff. I too read those critical reviews and sometimes thought those complaining were asking for a lot. NCL tries to make it right usually, but the complainers were not satisfied with those attempts - Not to say the complaints were not valid. It's hard to know from those posts how the complainers complained as well....just saying.

That said, we did not like the Epic, but didn't like it because it was so big and had so many other passengers. We didn't like having to plan every thing. We liked the evening entertainment, but we are just as entertained on the smaller ships. We also really liked the bathroom setup and our cabin with the bed by the balcony. You might like all of it. But I wouldn't worry about the crew generally.

Also always check for bedbugs anywhere you stay before you do anything with your luggage in a ship cabin or hotel room. That is only prudent.

I have friends onboard the current TA cruise who are all having fun.

A couple of negative reviews out of many.

A lot of the crew will be changing this week as she switches to Summer Europe season. Then in September she is off to dry dock for 3 weeks and a good refurbish.

:D

A lot of what you read on CC are people who are looking for something to complain about. If you take everyone's word that the Epic has a miriad of problems, then no doubt that will probably color you own opinion of the ship. Pay no attention to the critics! Have a great time on your cruise and forget about all the negative reviews. A lot of people use the CC Forums just to air their complaints and it does get overwhelming much of the time. We sailed on the Epic in 2013 and it was fine.

I have friends onboard the current TA cruise who are all having fun.

A couple of negative reviews out of many.

A lot of the crew will be changing this week as she switches to Summer Europe season. Then in September she is off to dry dock for 3 weeks and a good refurbish.

:D

Thank you...I was thinking that might be the case with the crew. They do work hard & by the end of a 5 month jint, I would be exhausted also :( I am glad there will be some new crew members & by all the neg. comments re torn carpet, worn out etc, it sounds like the Epic really needs a refurbish.

I know there are always good/bad reviews and if the experience is a bad one, the cust is more likely to post...that being said, the last few months and in particular the 4/15 cruise that the sewage hit the fan, so to speak, for an above average number of cruisers....not for all, thankfully!

When that many customers speak up, there is a problem...obvious enough for a few to have noticed and are concerned re upcoming cruises.

One of issues seems to have been an exhausted crew, who are now at home having a much needed rest. Yeah for them and yeah for us, the paying customer who hopes for a happy, rested crew as a tired, unhappy crew makes for a bad cruise experience, imo.

One can only hope the sewage issues have been fixed as thats a crappy sit to deal with(sorry! :) )

I am curious to see if the next couple of weeks turns this downtrend around for the Epic with lots of positive reviews, I really hope so!!!

Thank you :)

Edited by Lizzybell1960

I was on EPIC for two weeks during this February and after returning I made my next reservation for next week - only four days and I'm back [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Thank you, thats def a positive review :) Thats what I want to hear for obvious reasons and the fact you rebooked...good for you! Enjoy your cruise, the itinerary is amazing...if so inclined, please post a review.

Thanks to all for posting.

We cruised on the Epic in March and had a great time. It was our first cruise in 10 years.

Sure, there were a few minor disappointments. But, nothing to ruin our vacation. We were happy enough to book another NCL cruise for next March. The staff on board actually exceeded my expectations.

Have fun!

One of the reasons that I really appreciate this forum is that it does give everyone the opportunity to share their experiences and opinions (good, bad and indifferent). I too, booked a cruise on the Epic (1st time on both the ship and doing a Mediterranean cruise) and therefore have been reading the various threads pertaining to the EPIC quite diligently. I have to say, as big as the ship is, the negative reviews seem very few and far between. (and I recall seeing one particular bed-bug review from a person who seemed more interested in soliciting compensation, than actually reporting evidence).

This cruise is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, so even if the layout is awkward, or she comes out of dry dock smelling of paint fumes and with a few less entertaining acts, I am going to relish the experience. I will be celebrating a "cancer free" diagnosis, with my family, so I am thinking that any 'unfortunate or unpleasant' change encounters will merely be "water under the ship" for me.

I hope you are able to focus on some of the positive reviews (many with some amazing details and wonderful photos).

I, too, am on our third Epic cruise right now (4th immediately following). Obviously, we like the ship. We cruised in Nov. Is EVERYTHING perfect? Of course not. Is everything great? Absolutely. (That's our opinion - and DH doesn't even like cruising but is ready for another TA!) There was a plumbing issue in Nov which affected half of the ship, and which was fixed that day. The main issue/complaint I'd like to address is lack of caring among the crew. I just can't find that attitude, and I've been trying to find it. Everyone, everywhere, is upbeat, friendly, and interested in making sure they meet our needs (I also hear them interacting with other passengers). Things can happen. It's a floating city. But, the crew is great, and they'll do whatever they can to make you happy while on board.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I was on the April 5th sailing and had a ball. I only ate at the buffet and O'Sheehans and loved the food in both places. I found all the crew to be very friendly and helpful. I was on the Breakaway in October and I would prefer the Breakaway over the Epic because I like to relax sitting looking out at the sea and I loved the waterfront area on the Breakaway. The Epic is also a bit drab looking with a lot of brown carpets and decor. Would this stop me sailing on her again......absolutely not! I will sail on any ship with studio cabins as it makes it affordable for me.

The Epic is my least favorite NCL ship but not for any negative experience with the ship's crew, cleanliness, or any of the other complaints I've read on CC. My issues with the Epic are really just personal preferences over the way other ships do things. Others don't mind those differences at all.

We loved the entertainment. We didn't think the ship felt crowded, even though it was at capacity. The crew was fantastic. We enjoyed the food, and thought the buffet had the best food of any buffet we have experienced. We found quiet spaces on board, and spent some time reading in an area aft on the pool deck, port side, just about next to the entrance of H2O.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the April 12th sailing we really enjoyed ourselves!

We ate at all the free restaurants, no Pay ones. Food was great! DH put on 8lbs LOL

The workers we met were on 9 month contracts, that's a long time to be "on" 24 hours a day. Everyone has good and bad days. I just think about how hard it must be to be away from your family for that long. That would eat at me too, I would hope.

You will enjoy the ship, crew and all amenities.

I love the complainers who say the hangers make too much noise! Good grief. Third world problems, I tell ya...

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

We were on the Epic in March and we are going back on in May. We thought we were "small ship people", but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were on the Oasis of the Seas in December and had a miserable time. The Epic surprised us. The crew was awesome. The food and the entertainment both exceeded our expectations. We are going to try the Haven next month:)

I love the complainers who say the hangers make too much noise! Good grief. Third world problems, I tell ya...

:D:D:D

cruisencrazy: why did you have a 'miserable' time on the Oasis of the Seas in December? We were on the Oasis Feb 21-29 and loved it.

Edited by Diver2014

Thank you to all for the info...cruise critic is a great source & I appreciate all the feedback.

It sounds like there was a change in crew.. I am happy if the crew is happy :) They are refurbishing her in a few months, so valid complaints in some areas.

I am thrilled to be going....but sometimes too much info isn't a good thing...

I looked at the deck plans today for the Epic...oh dear...cabin 8144 looks to be directly above the bars on deck 7 & i then read there are issues with lifeboats obstructing views(to the point where you have to sit in the chair to see "out to sea" as if you stand, all you see is a lifeboat)

Again, not trying to be a negative Nancy but I have now read alot of "avoid deck 8 balconies due to lifeboat issues" & now wondering @ the location above the bars on deck 7 as they are open so late.

Has anyone out there stayed in any of the cabins @ this one & can tell me @ the noise level at nite, past midnite is really my main concern. I can handle the lifeboat issue, but do not want to be kept awake nightly by loud music til 2am.

I didnt book this cabin, & its gty, I will pay to move to quieter cabin, if 8144 has noise issues...so, what do you think CC members.

I did try searching the spec cabin link, but no cabins in that area came up. Thank you CC s for your input.

Edited by Lizzybell1960