Proposing under the stars! Need Help!

Try not to overthink things. Maybe you should propose when it feels right, and worry about the formal pics later?

My husband and I got engaged on St. Martin last June, and it was beautiful. A few days later we were able to have a photographer at the same spot and did our engagement pics there. Everything was perfect.

Good luck -- I'm sure whatever you decide will be unforgettable!!!:D

Congratulations! This is a very exciting time for you.

My husband proposed to me on the Golden Gate Bridge while I was looking over the side at one of the towers. He waited for the tourist to leave and then asked but didn't get down on his knee yet. Then said "I have a ring, do you want to see it?" He was afraid it would fall into the bay so he then brought me away from the edge, got down on one knee and put the ring on my finger. It was funny, romantic and logical...everything he is. :D

So you may want to think about giving her a "temporary" ring until you get to a safe spot. Just my two cents. Good luck!!!

...but yet originally you were hoping to have people "waiting in the wings" to cheer and congratulate you?? Not sure how that would happen if you are really in a dark, secluded place. (Who's going to be waiting? Where exactly will they be? How will you get them there? etc.)...

My thoughts as well. In my opinion, a marriage proposal is a personal and sacred moment between the couple and no one else. I think OP is just excited about popping the question and is asking for ideas, but the people waiting in the wings thing is kind of wrong, to me... :o

As you said, waterbug123, they can absolutely celebrate all night long after that! People will want to share their joy and congratulate them, but as for the actual proposal, as a woman I would want privacy. :)

So, as someone who has been proposed to on the deck of a cruiseship, at night, I can give you some pointers.

1) My now husband of 8 years was planning to go out to the helipad, but it was too dark. He opted for the port side of the ship on the top deck with the track. We were able to see TONS of stars that night from the side of the ship. We were the only ones out there. The door opened every once in a while but people kept walking, or stopped and went back inside because of the wind...

2) The wind: This is something you should think about carefully. If the ring is in a box in your pocket, and your pocket is flapping all over the place, it's disctracting. Put it in your pants pocket, not your jacket pocket. Also, consider that if she has longer hair, its best for you to stand to the front of the ship and her to the back, so that as the wind blows, it blows the hair out of her face vs into both of your faces.

3) Pictures: I would suggest you look for professional photographers on the islands that specialize in engagement shots/family photos. There are a surprising number and they have some really creative ways of getting good pictures- they can even turn it into a little excursion for you :)

4) The ring: sure, it's about the ring, but she's going to wear it for the rest of her life if she can't see it sparkle that moment, it's OK in my opinion (bring on the flames).

5) The "big applause" you're looking for... is possible :) We went to the show after we were engaged and someone in our family told the cruise director and she annouced it on stage that night. We stood up all red-faced. But it was nice because the last few nights on the ship people would randomly recognize us and congratulate us. It was sweet.

Good luck!

You might use this as a segway while you are star gazing.....give her her own star!

http://www.star-registration.com/?gclid=CJekg9uWl8UCFQiQaQodcpsAtQ

And pick one that will be in sight on the night you propose.....you can show her the star and say, yeah that one is named after you and the night you got engaged....and BAM!! with the knee and the ring!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

we saw a man propose to his girlfriend on the Jewel of the Seas. They had their picture taken at the top of the stairs in the centrum. As they walked down stairs he got down on one knee and proposed. the photographer must have known ahead of time because he was taking pictures during the proposal.

Soon people realized what was going on and everyone was clapping and congratulating the couple.

I've got a bit of a head start on this thread.

I proposed to my wife on the aft deck of Majesty of the Seas as she sailed from San Juan.

Forget stars or black skies and for what it's worth I wouldn't worry too much about crowds of people cheering you on. This is your proposal not everyone else's. I haven't got a photo of when we got engaged but we both remember it as though it was yesterday. It was 20 years ago. We have also re-visited San Juan and it's a lovely place to remember the moment. I can't help thinking I'd have got less time for murder :)

San Juan is one of the most magical ports to leave at night. The castle, the fortifications and you always remember where you were.

Really simple, back deck, stand behind her giving her a cuddle taking in the view. Pick your moment, reach round, open the box and say will you marry me?

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Thanks to all of your wonderful ideas/input, I believe I have a solution as well as a back up plan!

Depending on the weather, I have to be flexible here. Darkness and the wind play huge factors so the helipad, stern, or sides of the boat are all possibilities. I have a feeling the helipad is still the prime location, but I have backups ready. I've been put in contact with the cruise director, maybe I can get the captain to blow the horn after she says yes after all ;)

I am also VERY open to either San Juan ideas brought up here as well. Either walking along the shore at night or sailing away from the city under the stars, both are fantastic back up ideas. I guess the mood (and weather) will determine which I choose.

The only bonus that the helipad has is that it is one of the few places on the ship dark enough to see stars. My husband loves astronomy and we have gone out there to see them. If you're determined to be out there in the wind, put a little LED light on the box so she can see the ring when you open it. :)

GENIUS. I didn't even think of this! I will do this!! Thank you!

As for the photographer, thank you all for the input. At night and with the wind there's no way I can see the money spent for this turning out well. I thought of an alternative. Since everyone is saying that the photo op before the formal dinner is the perfect opportunity, I can always get on one knee again during the second formal night later in the trip. We'll both be expecting it, but that's a good thing since she'll have her private moment already. Plus she wont have to worry about the pictures turning out horrible.

Keep the pointers coming! Anything to aid my ideas or shed light on some cons I haven't considered. I'm the newbie on the thread and you all have been incredibly helpful. I can't thank you enough. Anybody sailing on the Independence this May24-31, feel free to reach out and say hi since I owe you a drink!

...Anybody sailing on the Independence this May24-31, feel free to reach out and say hi since I owe you a drink!

Here is the link to your specific Roll Call for that sailing - some of the people who will be cruising with you. I'd actually suggest you get off the main board here and go to your Roll Call and post - perhaps you can ask your fellow passengers to help you more with this. Perhaps someone will offer to take photos for you. I have seen this kindness offered on Roll Calls before ... pretty cool.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046296 <--click here