Anyone Miss the Formal Nights?

cruiser4801

I for one am so excited for my first cruise on NCL and NO formal night. High heels and rocky boats don't mix. I had to to change shoes immediately after dinner on my last cruise. Flip flops and formal wear don't mix ;)

Rocky boats? You obviously weren't on a modern cruise ship. :)

An outsider popping in, I have looked many a time at NCL but somehow it has never aligned when our cruise bug bites. The thought of go as you are/feel to dinner every night was/is intriguing.

I'm about as informal a person as one can find, wearing jeans and t-shirt to work for 22 years and my formal wear decades old, but believe it or not the only time I get my family dragged out together in formal wear is on cruise. You can call it a money racket but formal pictures of the family and a sitdown dinner in a monkey suit once every year or so, ain't to much to lug my 20 year old sports jacket and dated tie. As I look back at those vacations and pictures, timeless ;)

I don't often get pictures like the one below either so even for $50 bucks for one check-in I opt in to formal night. Of course its only a "picture" but still timeless IMHO so.. hmm maybe I'll still bring the monkey suits. Do they have all them photographers and fancy backgrounds on NCL?

Oh one last thought, comment, clothing police aside here, on my last princess I saw lots of slacks and polo shirts on them "formal" "elegant" " formal" nights... so you can still be comfortable if you choose.

Yes, and many do dress up, so you wouldn't be out of place.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts/experiences. You have a great looking family!

They are lovely family photos to cherish. May I just point out though, that in the golden age of cruising your dress code would have been described as informal. On most lines there were Formal nights, where men wore Dinner suits/tuxedo's and bow tie. Informal nights, consisting of Suit or Sports jacket and tie, and then there was also resort casual, which would be allowed after some port days only.

QUOTE]

I am guessing you are considering the golden age to be the 1940's and maybe the 50's, possibly some of the 60's. By the 70's suits were very accepted, though it was still probably 70% tux's and dinner jacket's. But the cruise lines didn't give you a choice then, it wasn't "the suggested attire" it was "you will wear or you won't get in" and it was enforced. Some lines had "loaner" jackets but if they had run out or didn't have one that would fit you they directed you to the buffet. I agree with many that someone in Dockers and a polo doesn't majorly bother me, but on lines that have a written suggested policy I do think the people that go to the dining room should adhere to the suggested policy. If not out of respect for the cruise line at least for their own respect.

One reason I prefer the Freestyle Cruising for our family is the cost of taking formal wear or dress up clothes. The baggage limits and fees that airlines charge for extra suitcases makes it expensive to take formal wear. Then the clothes often need pressing by the ship...another cost. The other big reason is my DH dislikes dressing up for vacations...He is on vacation so the business casual "suits" him better.

I would go with the "DH dislikes dressing up for vacations" as the excuse. The baggage limits and taking an extra bag is maybe $35 and pressing maybe another $25. After spending $1200+ per person for a balcony room, I don't buy into the $70 extra charge.

Not at all!

Love to see others "Putting on the Ritz!" but I'm happy in my resort casual.

Me too. I don't miss dressing up in formal wear. Definitely don't miss the fancy uncomfortable shoes.

I even took a look this week at some casual wedge sandals ready to be packed and said to myself, are you crazy? Don't need to be twisting my ankles. I have to be extra careful with this UBP. [emoji126]🏻[emoji572]️[emoji445][emoji106]🏻

Edited by leekel619

I actually miss formal nights because it gives me an excuse to buy a new dress. My family makes an effort to clean up and look nice for dinner and the night time, sundresses, sandals, collared shirts, and maybe one dressier outfit. I have a pretty dress for every night of cruise leaving Saturday ready to pack!

Everything is so rushed these days. We are a society of instantaneous info gathering geeks. We hardly ever have time to "stop and smell the roses".

We also miss formal nights in the traditional sense. However, also having a job that is very informal, I only have one suit that hardly ever gets worn.

Just being able to enjoy a leisurely meal with my family is priceless. Not to mention the weight restrictions and excess baggage fees the airlines imposed. It really makes it hard to pack heavy with the high cost of check in bags.

Some passengers still dress up on NCL, especially on picture night. I've actually seen some more dressed up than some of those on Celebrity on formal night.

On one NCL cruise, I noticed a family posing for pictures in formal wear. The parents were dressed in tux and gown, the little girls wore lovely dresses, and the baby wore a little tux. They looked beautiful in their finery.

DH and I are content with resort casual.

An outsider popping in, I have looked many a time at NCL but somehow it has never aligned when our cruise bug bites. The thought of go as you are/feel to dinner every night was/is intriguing.

I'm about as informal a person as one can find, wearing jeans and t-shirt to work for 22 years and my formal wear decades old, but believe it or not the only time I get my family dragged out together in formal wear is on cruise. You can call it a money racket but formal pictures of the family and a sitdown dinner in a monkey suit once every year or so, ain't to much to lug my 20 year old sports jacket and dated tie. As I look back at those vacations and pictures, timeless ;)

I don't often get pictures like the one below either so even for $50 bucks for one check-in I opt in to formal night. Of course its only a "picture" but still timeless IMHO so.. hmm maybe I'll still bring the monkey suits. Do they have all them photographers and fancy backgrounds on NCL?

Oh one last thought, comment, clothing police aside here, on my last princess I saw lots of slacks and polo shirts on them "formal" "elegant" " formal" nights... so you can still be comfortable if you choose.

p1136134501-4.jpg

p1136134471-4.jpg

p1136134441-4.jpg

p1136134426-4.jpg

You all look lovely

Formal nights are really, really outdated. They came from a time when cruising in first class meant you had to dress formally every night in public areas. It was a way to differentiate the haves from the have nots. It was classist.

Even the dining part is outdated now. When formal wear was required in the main dining room, it was the best place to eat on the ship. Not anymore. The specialty restaurants are were you go for a special dinner. Not the MDR. Let's all get dressed up to go to the Outback Steakhouse. And, while we're at it, let's make everyone else get dressed up to go there too.

Sometimes knowing the origin of the traditions helps to see why it should go away. Although, for anyone who wants to dress formally, that's great! The key there is wants to.

Formal nights are really, really outdated. They came from a time when cruising in first class meant you had to dress formally every night in public areas. It was a way to differentiate the haves from the have nots. It was classist.

Even the dining part is outdated now. When formal wear was required in the main dining room, it was the best place to eat on the ship. Not anymore. The specialty restaurants are were you go for a special dinner. Not the MDR. Let's all get dressed up to go to the Outback Steakhouse. And, while we're at it, let's make everyone else get dressed up to go there too.

Sometimes knowing the origin of the traditions helps to see why it should go away. Although, for anyone who wants to dress formally, that's great! The key there is wants to.

You are correct, it is a class thing. Unfortunately many people today are devoid of class.

You are correct, it is a class thing. Unfortunately many people today are devoid of class.

Actually, upon further reflection - If anyone wants to keep the tradition alive, I have the perfect solution. They should have the Haven restaurant require formal attire every night. The Haven is considered first class on NCL ships now. Problem solved!

Maybe that is the reason I enjoy them - it is "outdated" to dress nice for most occasions in our daily life so it is fun to do it on a cruise. We don't eat out often at home so the MDR is fine for us, I don't feel it necessary to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. So do you dress up for those since they are your special dinner?

Maybe that is the reason I enjoy them - it is "outdated" to dress nice for most occasions in our daily life so it is fun to do it on a cruise. We don't eat out often at home so the MDR is fine for us, I don't feel it necessary to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. So do you dress up for those since they are your special dinner?

I think it's wonderful that you and others want to dress up for special occasion. While I don't consider going to the MDR a special occasion, understand the desire to dress up and feel special for an evening. Just don't make me do it.

Most all the younger folks never dress up, unless it's a wedding or a funeral anymore. So as time goes by, and the younger crowd is going to be a larger demographic on cruise ships, and requiring formal wear will stop.

As for me. I worked for EDS for a number of years. At one point they loosened the dress code, so we could have tassels on our dress shoes with our dark suits. No. I don't dress up for dinner. Somehow, it just doesn't make me feel special.

Most all the younger folks never dress up, unless it's a wedding or a funeral anymore. So as time goes by, and the younger crowd is going to be a larger demographic on cruise ships, and requiring formal wear will stop.

FWIW I find that the younger folks to find time and occasion to dress up; Proms, concert performance, dates, parties... actually more than us old foggies might imagine or believe ;)

On my most recent Mexican cruise I saw many "younger" couples far better and more fashionable than me in my 20 year old stuff :o

Now it is a totally separate matter whether they enjoy getting dressed up with us old folks :D

You all look lovely

Thanks

Some passengers still dress up on NCL, especially on picture night. I've actually seen some more dressed up than some of those on Celebrity on formal night.

We are new to NCL- Going on our first cruise so I am not familiar with Picture night. Don't they take pictures every night like other cruise lines? When is picture night typically on a 7 night cruise to Bermuda? We enjoy dressing for dinner- not a tux and gown-but I would say party attire- do people still dress at all?

Thanks

High heels KILL my feet. I have to send my formal clothes to be pressed, once they're unpacked. It takes time to pack coordinating pieces of matching jewelry. Oops, we need to take your suit to the dry-cleaners (to-do list before we leave.) The list goes on and on.

This is what our family endures every time we cruise. We wouldn't have it any other way though, as we LOVE formal nights.

Our first NCL is in a few weeks, and we're looking forward to the optional dress-up night.

To each his own.

High heels KILL my feet. I have to send my formal clothes to be pressed, once they're unpacked. It takes time to pack coordinating pieces of matching jewelry. Oops, we need to take your suit to the dry-cleaners (to-do list before we leave.) The list goes on and on.

This is what our family endures every time we cruise. We wouldn't have it any other way though, as we LOVE formal nights.

Our first NCL is in a few weeks, and we're looking forward to the optional dress-up night.

To each his own.

Makes perfect sense to me. Not even sure why this thread got started. Formal nights haven't gone away on NCL. They don't make people who don't want to participate sit their rooms, as some cruises(HAL). Which is good thing now that they are charging $7.95 plus 18% gratuity for room service.

Edited by CruisinHarvey
spell check

Makes perfect sense to me. Not even sure why this thread got started. Formal nights haven't gone away on NCL. They don't make people who don't want to participate sit their rooms...

It's great to have choices and do whatever best fits you (Freestyle Cruising).

If you want to dress up at any time....go ahead.

If you don't want to dress up at any time....as you wish.

• 1 year later...